• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Warren Barguil Discussion Thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

shalgo said:
On the NBC coverage today, Baden Cooke said a couple of things about this: first, that Barguil and Kelderman are long-time rivals and "hate" each other; second, that he had heard rumours that there was some sort of exchange between the two of them last night. He emphasized the "hate" several times.
Yup, i suspect the things between them went south maybe even violent and then the team decided it was not worth to keep a rider in the race who was not even going to be in the team next year. They had to give an mild excuse for the media of Barguil not dropping back. This makes more sense than kicking out a rider for tactical reasons. Even Roche was not kicked out in 1987 for going against Visentini and he went on to do the treble for the team. Business sense prevails than loyalty except for violence or safety reasons

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
The outcome is Barguil out, Wilco 3rd. At the end of the day good decision of the team.

And still it is Barguil's obligation to follow team orders eventhough they are wrong or doubtful. The guy who pays is the guy in command. Simple as that.

Re:

lartiste said:
The outcome is Barguil out, Wilco 3rd. At the end of the day good decision of the team.

And still it is Barguil's obligation to follow team orders eventhough they are wrong or doubtful. The guy who pays is the guy in command. Simple as that.
We don'y know what was said, not said before the race. Mixed signals. Bur yes, Wilco is doing well, and so was TJVG not too long ago. He
He's trying to Dumoulin his way to a high placing, and so far it has worked. He's no Dumoulin and if there's real racing moving forward, he'll be dropped in the MTF.

Yet, a top-5 would be great for him...we'll see.

My $0.02: Froome and Nibali will stay ahead, Zakarin and Contador will catch up. 5th. So the new Eddy Merckx will be the new TJVG.

I'm not sold.

Re:

lartiste said:

With Oomen dropping out the decision is even more terrible. Either Warren himself would be third by now :D or he probably would acknowledge after Calar Alto the team leader had to be Kelderman.

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

Tonton said:
lartiste said:

We don'y know what was said, not said before the race. Mixed signals. Bur yes, Wilco is doing well, and so was TJVG not too long ago. He
He's trying to Dumoulin his way to a high placing, and so far it has worked. He's no Dumoulin and if there's real racing moving forward, he'll be dropped in the MTF.

Yet, a top-5 would be great for him...we'll see.

My $0.02: Froome and Nibali will stay ahead, Zakarin and Contador will catch up. 5th. So the new Eddy Merckx will be the new TJVG.

I'm not sold.

I do not think Wilco is going to be next Eddy Merckx, but still he can at least match with Warren and his results in GC (until now). But still the team has the right to decide. It is like last year Tour, Kreuziger did not wait for Alberto eventhough Alberto was injured and it was clear, that he is not able to catch up. Still Kreuziger was heavily criticized and only reason why he was not punished by the team was the fact, that Tinkov did not like Alberto at that time.

To be honest, I am surprised how Wilco is doing ... . I only hope he will not be next TJVG hope he can be more or less next Molema or Ten Dam ;).

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
i have to cheer for barguil for his brave move to change and leave a very strong team in the making , i see he just want to go as Contador did all his career no team

In a way it's smart. No expectations, no pressure,no trolling from the public if it doesn't work out. A flashy thing here and there, he'll be OK. He doesn't want to be Pinot/Bardet and have to deliver at Hinault level or be called a loser. Smart.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Bah, it's just a way of saying "I won't put excessive pressure on my shoulders for the GC". But in the same article he says they will do their best not to lose too much time and keep close. So I don't see him letting the GC go on purpose if he is 2/3 minutes behind. But he will not just suck wheels to do the best GC possible. he will attacks for wins and polka, and if it blows in his face for the GC and makes him lose time, so be it. If he is as strong as he was last year. He will get into the top 10 just playing stages and polka, Richard Virenque style.

But to be honest I find his choice quite reasonable and clever : for his image, his popularity, his fun AND his paycheck, he is much better of winning a stage/polka and placing 9th than placing 5th or 6th Meintjes/Yates style, sucking the wheels of the big dogs the whole tour through.

I think he is chicken...If you can climb and can be with the best then you do GC ...otherwise why lead a team ?
Give me Bardet or Pinot anyday ...taking the prssure is part of being a great rider
Hedging your bets...anyone can do that

Barguil cannot do a podium at the Tour , not now anyway..his TT for one and his consistency for another ...but that should not put him off trying
The thing is he has already reached the pinnicale of what he can achieve stage hunting and KOM...done that and it gets old fast among the French ....go big or go home

Re:

HelloDolly said:
I think he is chicken...If you can climb and can be with the best then you do GC ...otherwise why lead a team ?
Give me Bardet or Pinot anyday ...taking the prssure is part of being a great rider

Barguil cannot do a podium at the Tour , not now anyway..his TT for one and his consistency for another ...but that should not put him off trying
The thing is he has already reached the pinnicale of what he can achieve stage hunting and KOM...done that and it gets old fast among the French ....go big or go home

To go for stage wins.
To go for KoM.
To go for stage wins and KoM.

I personally like the fact that he isn't instantly falling for the Next Big French GC Hope hype. Seems like every time there is a French rider who's doing just relatively well in that direction, the entire country goes "HE'S OUR FUTURE TOUR WINNER!"
There are other things in cycling than winning the Tour.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Re:

HelloDolly said:

Eh... no ? This doesn't get old. If Barguil managed to consistently pull off stage wins/polka jersey on the tour de France he would be very popular in France for a long time. A lot more than by riding Meintjes style just following the bosses.

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

veji11 said:
HelloDolly said:

Eh... no ? This doesn't get old. If Barguil managed to consistently pull off stage wins/polka jersey on the tour de France he would be very popular in France for a long time. A lot more than by riding Meintjes style just following the bosses.

Yep he is really popular at the moment, the most popular with Bardet in France.

When I went to a start on the last TDF, the 16 July, there was 3 riders who were applauded the most : Bardet, Barguil and Tommy V.

A guy like Pinot has a lot attention in the medias but considering his last 2 TDF, regular folks start to forget about his past record on the race, even if everyone knows him.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Exactly, chosing the stages/Polka route isn't a bad decision, you will certainly be a lot more popular, make more money from endorsment AND have more fun riding going that route than just trying to follow in the slipstreams of the big bosses.

Re:

HelloDolly said:

If someone offered me 8th-15th on GC, 1/2 mountain stage wins, the KOM and maybe even the combativity award against an anonymous 4th-8th on GC, I’d take the stages and KOM every time.

Gesink, Van Garderen and Vandenbroek have all finished top 5 at the Tour, but did it so anonymously that we need to be reminded of it. However everyone remembers rides like Rolland in 2011, Majka in 2014 and Barguil last year.

Riccardo Ricco said it best in 2008 when he was asked if he’d prefer to finish 2nd on GC or win on Alpe d’Huez. The interviewer barely finished the question when Ricco said Alpe d’Huez.

TRENDING THREADS