• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Was Bert pushed?

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
danjo007 said:
and why is this in the clinic? seriously! ~fuopghys
Because with my tinfoil hat on it looks like some sort of vendetta against Bert...blah...enemies in the peloton...blah...quiet complicity of other riders--> has a clinic feel.

Noone else found that suspect? Surprised, when people buy mechanical doping.

http://www.steephill.tv/players/youtube3...

Dr. Maserati said:
Yes - its very obvious in this other video that he was being pushed and the other guy was getting in his face.
Thanks though, was fun.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Without a doubt, Bert was pushed.

Ernie can be a bit of a d*ck, though. Especially when he's running low on whippets...

Just had to throw that in to keep this in the Clinic.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
OP, so you dont know the difference between a bit of biffo - and doping then?

cant read or dont understand?
The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Pushed, yes. Who head butts to the left at random? A Russian Pulling a "Crazy Ivan" that's who! I bet it was have past the hour as well! If you were on a ride and somebody did that head buutted to the left you would just accept it as normal? Even if the whole shift lever stuck on the saddle incident is true why is Karpets head butting to the left? Can anyone come up with some logical reason without going into some Kennedy assassination type explanation, please leave out any third or fourth rider involvement. Then why is Contador's teammate looking back but not waiting... odd. I suspect the video images of the Schlecks handing Karpets something a few K before that have gone missing as well... :eek:

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
danjo007 said:
OP, so you dont know the difference between a bit of biffo - and doping then?

cant read or dont understand?
The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues.
Not " The Clinic is the place on Cyclingnews where you can only discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedure."

There isn't that much else going on here anyhow.

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Yep, AC was pushed

I'm absolutely convinced Karpets pushes AC. Check out http://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/ with the video "Vladimir Karpets pushes Contador causing crash". I've watched it several times. I'm certain. What lead to it? It could have been AC's inattentiveness, rode into Karpets. But Karpets gave AC a pretty good shove.

I'm no AC fan, but that's worse than a headbutt during a sprint for sure! Karpets is a clown. It looked malicious to me.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Holy Christ! Is this some sort of genius round-table?

AC hooked his lever/hood under Vlad's seat rail, leaned on it and it came free - throwing him into the ditch.

No evilness, no bad bike handling, just the **** that happens when you throw a couple of hundered riders on skinny roads. Add the factor of it being the biggest GT race of the year into the mix, and even more sh*t will happen.

It's not like the Russian mob has a hit out on AC. Unless you're punched enough to get into that... Mind you, it is the Clinic...

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
Holy Christ! Is this some sort of genius round-table?
It is now.
JMBeaushrimp said:
AC hooked his lever/hood under Vlad's seat rail, leaned on it and it came free - throwing him into the ditch.
Lets not start 'filling out' details that weren't reported.
mikeNphilly said:
no, his handlebars caught Karpets's seatpost and down he went.
Source?

For the record this thread wasn't about the car crash. That wasn't suspicious.

taiwan said:
It is now.Lets not start 'filling out' details that weren't reported.

For the record this thread wasn't about the car crash. That wasn't suspicious.

You mean "filling out details" like for example Contador saying that this is what happened?? I agree - it's always more fun to ignore those bits :)

Most likely Karpets asked Conti for spare batteries and Conti said "If I had batteries do you think I'd be down in the back all the time? Go see Canc and the Schlecks instead" and Karpets couldn't quite hear, so hear turned around and unluckily they smashed their heads together so that Conti tipped over.

Or maybe - Conti said "Hey Karps, can I have another whisky?" and Karpets rightly pointed out that Conti had had plenty already after which Conti - drunk as a whistle - fell over.

By the way - if a rider in the middle of the peloton beats up another rider, wouldn't there be at least some sort of reaction from the surrounding riders. Not least from Conti's team mates??????

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
JPM London said:
You mean "filling out details" like for example Contador saying that this is what happened?? I agree - it's always more fun to ignore those bits :)
Is there a source for Bert saying exactly that, or is what he said being extrapolated?
JPM London said:
By the way - if a rider in the middle of the peloton beats up another rider, wouldn't there be at least some sort of reaction from the surrounding riders. Not least from Conti's team mates??????
Well yes, but in the video a Saxo rider appears to turn and see Bert on the ground and then ride on, although he may be using his radio (guessing at his movements).

taiwan said:
Is there a source for Bert saying exactly that, or is what he said being extrapolated?

For example on the front page of cyclingnews.com there's an article...

taiwan said:
Well yes, but in the video a Saxo rider appears to turn and see Bert on the ground and then ride on, although he may be using his radio (guessing at his movements).

And you would call that a "reaction" to his captain being beat up by a competing rider? What do you imagine he says over the radio? "Hey, Riis, someone just punched out that Spanish guy you brought to the team. Looked really funny!"...

:)

Mate, I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next man. Only problem with this one is that it's not really that good...

A

Anonymous

taiwan said:
Is there a source for Bert saying exactly that, or is what he said being extrapolated? Well yes, but in the video a Saxo rider appears to turn and see Bert on the ground and then ride on, although he may be using his radio (guessing at his movements).

From Cyclingnews.com
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-worried-about-continued-knee-problems
"Today's crash was simply an accident caused by a situation where my handlebar got mixed up with Karpets' saddle and as the stage progressed I felt increasing pain in my right knee and am a bit worried because the last few days I have been feeling pain in the same knee,” he said on the Saxo Bank-SunGard website after the stage"

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
taiwan said:
not equal to

But how is it materially different?

taiwan said:
Just trying to keep the facts straight. Did you all watch the video?

Come on! :) So the video - hardly even showing who the involved riders were - is more fact about an assault than a simple statement of "it was an accident" from Conti? All the video shows is two riders swerving and one - the smaller - going off to the side - and no-one whatsoever reacting more than a quick glance... Sounds like a proper assault to me :)

May 31, 2011
Visit site
i doubt bertie is very popular in the peloton just now.

if he wins then is stripped it will be a disaster for the sport and the end result will be less sponsorship which threatens riders' livelihoods.

it's the other side of the omerta coin. don't say anything but don't stupidly damage the sport, that's why all the riders hate ricco.

TRENDING THREADS