• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

WC National Team Selections

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 2, 2010
Visit site
Rui Quinta said:
Argentina
Jorge Montenegro
Enzo Moyano
Mauricio Muller
Maximiliano Richeze
Juan José Haedo (doubt)
Sebastián Haedo (doubt)

SafeBet said:
What do you mean doubt?

If Rui Quinta's 1st language is Spanish, he translated "doubt" for "duda", meaning that the Haedo bros. are not yet confirmed (my guess).

boladelmundo said:
So how would the Spanish team manager decide who the protected leader would be considering they have so many in-form riders now?

There can't be a protected leader (although it would have to be Valverde). You can't ask Contador and Purito to work for Valverde or the other way around...

The way I see it Lastras, Castroviejo, Moreno and Flecha should work and Samu, Valverde, Purito, Contador and Freire should try and take turns attacking/following wheels.

Duartista said:
Because they weren't in the top 10 of the World Tour on 15th August (they were 13th). They would normally have 6 for being in the top 2 of the Americas Tour, but they get an extra one because Slovakia and Switzerland, who finished in the top 10, don't have enough WT-scoring riders to take up 9 places and the unused places get redistributed to the teams placed 11-15. Had Colombia been in the top 10, they would have been in the same boat. So they actually have more spots than they would have had if they had been in the top 10.
Hahahahaha. Oh, you convoluted UCI rules. :eek:

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Slovenia:

Men elite, road race:
Grega Bole (Lampre-ISD), Borut Božič, Jani Brajkovič (both Astana), Jure Kocjan (Team Type 1-Sanofi), Kristijan Koren (Liquigas-Cannondale), Marko Kump (Adria Mobil) in Luka Mezgec (Sava).
Simon Spilak (Katusha)

Men elite, TT:
Jani Brajkovič and Kristijan Koren.
Robert Vrecer (Team Vorarlberg)

Men U23, road race:
Mark Džamastagič, Tim Mikelj (both Sava), Luka Pibernik, Jan Polanc, Klemen Štimulak in Jan Tratnik (all Radenska).

Men U23, TT:
Klemen Štimulak in Jan Tratnik.

Adria Mobil (TTT):
Marko Kump, Matej Gnezda, Kristjan Fajt, Matej Mugerli, Hrvata Radoslav Rogina in Kristijan Durasek.

Reserves are written in italic. Presentation of Juniors and Women will be held tomorrow.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Spanish squad is unbelieveably strong on paper, with the top 3 coming off the Vuelta :eek:

Plus Moreno, Sanchez and Freire :eek:

Other than that Italy and Belgium are looking good, predictably.

Dunno what to expect from Sagan. Haven't seen him lately but he would have been an early pick FTW.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Wegmann is overrated. Martens has the same level.

The only one who can reach the podium though is Degenkolb. If it's not a super hard race (just like Boonen, for instance).

^ agreed. chars.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Autralia been up? Will be strong.

Simon Clarke
Allan Davis
Luke Durbridge
Simon Gerrans
Cameron Meyer
Cadel Evans
Adam Hansen
Heinrich Haussler
Michael Matthews
Richie Porte
Michael Rogers
Rory Sutherland
David Tanner

Read off bici as linked by cineteq.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
taiwan said:

Simon Clarke
Allan Davis
Luke Durbridge
Simon Gerrans
Cameron Meyer
Cadel Evans
Adam Hansen
Heinrich Haussler
Michael Matthews
Richie Porte
Michael Rogers
Rory Sutherland
David Tanner

You can put Evans out of the list. His season is over.

Allocations for World Championships
Elite Men’s Road Race

Nations Qualified by the UCI WorldTour
1. Spain, 9
2. Italy, 9
3. Great Britain, 9
4. Belgium, 9
5. Australia, 9
6. Netherlands, 9
7. United States, 9
8. Slovakia, 6
9. Switzerland, 6
10. France, 9

Nations Qualified by the UCI Africa Tour
1. Morocco, 6
2. South Africa, 3

Nations Qualified by the UCI America Tour
1. Colombia, 7
2. Argentina, 6
3. Venezuela, 3
4. Canada, 4
5. Brazil, 3

Nations Qualified by the UCI Asia Tour
1. Japan, 6
2. Kazakhstan, 3
3. Malaysia, 3

Nations Qualified by the UCI Europe Tour
1. Germany, 7
2. Slovenia, 7
3. Russia, 6
4. Poland, 6
5. Ukraine, 6
6. Czech Republic, 7
7. Denmark, 3
8. Austria, 3
9. Latvia, 3
10. Estonia, 3
11. Bulgaria, 3
12. Croatia, 3
13. Sweden, 3
14. Serbia, 3
15. Lithuania, 3
16. Greece, 3

Nations Qualified by the UCI Oceania Tour
1. New Zealand, 3

Nations Qualified through having a rider in the top-100 of the UCI WorldTour
Portugal, 4
Luxembourg, 3
Ireland, 3
Norway, 3
Belarus, 3

Nations Qualified through having a rider in the UCI WorldTour
Costa Rica, 1

Nations Qualified through the ranking of the UCI Continental Tours
Algeria, 1
Uruguay, 1
Bolivia, 1
Chile, 1
Hong Kong, 1
Iran, 1
Turkey, 1
Hungary, 1
Moldova, 1
Azerbaijan, 1

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...road-races-and-time-trials.aspx#ixzz26CTHGUay

This is a strong Aussie team with quite a few of the guys in good form. I would leave Durbridge out as he is concentrating on a big performance with the OGE TTT team, which should be one of the favourites. Cam Meyer is also in that team but I don't think he will be a ITT selection for Australia and Durbridge hopefully will.

My Aussie team would be Gerrans, Clarke, Davis, Mathews, Porte, Meyer, Hansen with the last two spots out of Rogers (not if he is in the ITT), Sutherland, Haussler and Tanner.

taiwan said:

Simon Clarke
Allan Davis
Luke Durbridge
Simon Gerrans
Cameron Meyer
Cadel Evans
Adam Hansen
Heinrich Haussler
Michael Matthews
Richie Porte
Michael Rogers
Rory Sutherland
David Tanner

cineteq said:
Allocations for World Championships
Elite Men’s Road Race

Nations Qualified by the UCI WorldTour
1. Spain, 9
2. Italy, 9
3. Great Britain, 9
4. Belgium, 9
5. Australia, 9
6. Netherlands, 9
7. United States, 9
8. Slovakia, 6
9. Switzerland, 6
10. France, 9

Nations Qualified by the UCI Africa Tour
1. Morocco, 6
2. South Africa, 3

Nations Qualified by the UCI America Tour
1. Colombia, 7
2. Argentina, 6
3. Venezuela, 3
4. Canada, 4
5. Brazil, 3

Nations Qualified by the UCI Asia Tour
1. Japan, 6
2. Kazakhstan, 3
3. Malaysia, 3

Nations Qualified by the UCI Europe Tour
1. Germany, 7
2. Slovenia, 7
3. Russia, 6
4. Poland, 6
5. Ukraine, 6
6. Czech Republic, 7
7. Denmark, 3
8. Austria, 3
9. Latvia, 3
10. Estonia, 3
11. Bulgaria, 3
12. Croatia, 3
13. Sweden, 3
14. Serbia, 3
15. Lithuania, 3
16. Greece, 3

Nations Qualified by the UCI Oceania Tour
1. New Zealand, 3

Nations Qualified through having a rider in the top-100 of the UCI WorldTour
Portugal, 4
Luxembourg, 3
Ireland, 3
Norway, 3
Belarus, 3

Nations Qualified through having a rider in the UCI WorldTour
Costa Rica, 1

Nations Qualified through the ranking of the UCI Continental Tours
Algeria, 1
Uruguay, 1
Bolivia, 1
Chile, 1
Hong Kong, 1
Iran, 1
Turkey, 1
Hungary, 1
Moldova, 1
Azerbaijan, 1

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...road-races-and-time-trials.aspx#ixzz26CTHGUay

Who are selected for belarus?

Wilba60 said:
This is a strong Aussie team with quite a few of the guys in good form. I would leave Durbridge out as he is concentrating on a big performance with the OGE TTT team, which should be one of the favourites. Cam Meyer is also in that team but I don't think he will be a ITT selection for Australia and Durbridge hopefully will.
What the heck happened to Jack Bobridge? :cool: I thought he was with OGE...

cineteq said:
What the heck happened to Jack Bobridge? :cool: I thought he was with OGE...

He is racing the Tour of Britain, first ride back since the Olympics. It was interesting to see that new boy Sam Bewley who rode in the NZ pursuit team that finished behind Australia got a berth in the OGE TTT in front of Hepburn and Bobridge. Bewley is also riding the ITT for N.Z.

I think Bobridge and Hepburn will kick in next season and possibly have impacts like Durbridge.

Bobridge is also very good as a road rider/ not just a 1 trick pony with ITT's ( of which he is great- WC last year ).

Clarke and Gerrans will be a great combo here. Gerrans should be considered as one of the 5* contenders.

How come Vanendert and Gasparotto are not in the Belgium/ Italian teams? They finished 2nd and 1st at AGR and i know this course does not finish on the Cauberg but surely they deserve places in their respective squads.

EBH i think might do another GP Plouay here. Voeckler with his attacking style should also go well.

greenedge said:
How come Vanendert and Gasparotto are not in the Belgium/ Italian teams? They finished 2nd and 1st at AGR and i know this course does not finish on the Cauberg but surely they deserve places in their respective squads.
Gasparotto crashed out on the very first day of the Vuelta, in the TTT. Vanendert wasn't picked because the Belgian coach is an idiot.

TRENDING THREADS