• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

WC Ponferrada 2014. Altimetry

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
they are wrong though, Portugal would only get a spot due to Costa being the defending champion if they had not qualified at all otherwise

"If the outgoing Men Elite World Road race Champion or the outgoing Olympic Road race Champion comes from a nation which has not yet qualified, he may take part in the first World Championship after he wins his title. He may not be replaced by another ride"

the other calculations are correct I think, Portugal has passed Czech Republic in the Europe Tour standings due to the points scored in the Volta, and therefor is allowed to line up 6 riders

search said:
they are wrong though, Portugal would only get a spot due to Costa being the defending champion if they had not qualified at all otherwise

"If the outgoing Men Elite World Road race Champion or the outgoing Olympic Road race Champion comes from a nation which has not yet qualified, he may take part in the first World Championship after he wins his title. He may not be replaced by another ride"

the other calculations are correct I think, Portugal has passed Czech Republic in the Europe Tour standings due to the points scored in the Volta, and therefor is allowed to line up 6 riders

Thanks. It would make sence for the defending nation to be allowed an extra rider in case it didn't reach the 9 riders max. I could find anything on it though.

jens_attacks said:
this ponferrada route was perfect for sergio ribeiro :(

any idea whom will they select?any chance for the vet rui sousa? he could destroy the field!

No chance, no. They should all be from the international scene. Rui Costa, Tiago Machado, André Cardoso, Nélson Oliveira, José Mendes and Paulinho are the most likely picks. Good team.

search said:

General provision
9.2.009 In all individual specialities, the outgoing World Champion may take part in addition to the number of starters that the National Federation of such Champions may enter under the qualification regulations.
The same principle is applicable for the Olympic Champion on the occasion of the first World Championship following Olympic Games or, for the mountain bike, the next two mountain bike World Championships.
http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/g...bjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=OTU4ODk&LangId=1

Remember Belgium last year. They had 7 because Gilbert title... or by the 11th World Tour place?

Rui Quinta said:
http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/g...bjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=OTU4ODk&LangId=1

Remember Belgium last year. They had 7 because Gilbert title... or by the 11th World Tour place?

yes, because Slovakia and Great Britain were both in Top 10 but not allowed to line up 9 riders (SVK 6 & GB 8). Therefor the 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th ranked nations in WT (including Belgium) all got one additional spot

Edit: okay, in your link it says:

"In all individual specialities, the outgoing World Champion may take part in addition to the number of starters that the National Federation of such Champions may enter under the qualification regulations."

that rule was not applied last year then. Is it new?

Edit 2:

okay, further down it says:

However, participation in individual road events for Elite Men and under 23 Men shall be governed solely by articles 9.2.010 and 9.2.012.

so that rule mentioned above is not valid for the elite road race. Should be 6 starters for Portugal then

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
They used to let the champion race as an extra but I think they have stopped that now. I definitely remember Spain having 13 rather than the standard 12 in Verona in 04

rantanplan said:
You can have a look of the climbs here

WC Ponferrada Hills

Advertasing spot (just out of the oven)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9cPzWFFZGc

Thanks for sharing. Super video- the landscapes displayed are gorgeous. as far as the parcours goes, I have read from many riders a bit of hesitation on how selective the climbs will be, since the long ones aren't that steep & the one with the 10 % pitch is too short, so it seems like a rider in top shape like GVA, Sagan, Valverde, Gerrans or even Cancellara can conquer it, and less likely a big name like Froome, Purito, Quintana or Contador.

BigMac said:
I know you do. Your hatred towards Costa is a forum meme. I just want you to bet on him as you did last year. I'm not superstitious, but better play it safe.

Sorry, I don't believe in superstition or jinxing. :p The posts are there, last year's WC was the first and so far only time I've bet on Costa. I knew the mother****er would win it... filthy ****. I'd slap his face with a dirty fish.

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
favourite?

***** Valverde

**** Gilbert, Martin, Sagan, Gerrans

*** Purito, Costa, Urán, Van Avermaet, Degenkolb

** Contador, Quintana, Froome, Albasini, Nibali, Talansky

* Stybar, Cancellara, Kristoff, Evans, Dani Moreno, Mollema, Gallopin,...

rantanplan said:
favourite?

***** Valverde

**** Gilbert, Martin, Sagan, Gerrans

*** Purito, Costa, Urán, Van Avermaet, Degenkolb

** Contador, Quintana, Froome, Albasini, Nibali, Talansky

* Stybar, Cancellara, Kristoff, Evans, Dani Moreno, Mollema, Gallopin,...

I'd be putting my money on Valverde. Great form all year! Hopefully he isn't going too hard at the Vuelta and showing his hand too early. Maybe a quieter approach a la Sagan and Gilbert is the way to win the worlds..

The thing is, the worlds RR takes place the 28th of sep and by the looks of it - Valverde is going pretty hard in the vuelta. There is a chance that the Good-all-season Valverde actually runs out of steam while the likes of Gilbert and Dan Martin are currently fresh/under-raced and on rising form.