• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

WC Ponferrada 2014. Altimetry

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The courses have been released.

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=67918

The road race:
galeria67918-002.jpg

The elite time trial:
galeria67918-003.jpg

It's not Florence level in terms of distance but it's not as far as i thought it would be. 4200 climbing meters is about as much as Florence isn't it? Although rumours said the climbs were easier than in Florence and they appear to be on the profiles.

Just mapped the circuit with mapmyride, but the profile is bad there, so I've also mapped most of the circuit (the interesting bit) with tracks4bikers (I can't map more of the circuit there as the beta tracker is missing some functions...):

OYCd1.jpg

*Does anyone know a site (other than tracks4bikers and bikeroutetoaster) where I can upload a gpx-file and get a good profile?

Netserk said:
For some reason it won't take my gpx-file of the wc route (though it will accept some other gpx-files I have...) and I can't map the exact route there, as it has the same limitations as tracks4bikers :O

Hello,

I designed this website. The GPX file reader is not fully implemented (I just checked it works with my files...). If you want you can send me your file (or at least a part of it) using the email address provided at the bottom of the help page. I will fix the website :).

And what are the limitations you are talking about?

Manu

Manu3172 said:
Hello,

I designed this website. The GPX file reader is not fully implemented (I just checked it works with my files...). If you want you can send me your file (or at least a part of it) using the email address provided at the bottom of the help page. I will fix the website :).

And what are the limitations you are talking about?

Manu

I have to follow the road, and when the road only goes in one direction, I can't go in the opposite direction, which makes it impossible to map the first part of the WC route.

edit: I found out that you can go in the opposite direction if you choose the 'by foot' option. Would still like an option to go in a direct line though.

edit2: new problem. The whole route has to be either 'by foot', 'car or 'bike', where each has it disadvantages. With the car option I can't go in the opposite direction, and with the by foot option, there are certain roads I can't use. One of the roads on the route is one of those roads. Picture

Netserk said:
I have to follow the road, and when the road only goes in one direction, I can't go in the opposite direction, which makes it impossible to map the first part of the WC route.

edit: I found out that you can go in the opposite direction if you choose the 'by foot' option. Would still like an option to go in a direct line though.

edit2: new problem. The whole route has to be either 'by foot', 'car or 'bike', where each has it disadvantages. With the car option I can't go in the opposite direction, and with the by foot option, there are certain roads I can't use. One of the roads on the route is one of those roads. Picture

I understand what you mean. As you say each has its advantage and disadvantage:
- By foot: it goes in any direction, but does not allow highways, roads with tunnels, etc. And always takes the shortest way, even if it is a small track (which is sometimes annoying).
- By bike : it's not available everywhere, and I think it is still a "beta" version (that why I don't set it as default configuration).
- By car : you have to respect the highway code
Basically, these three means of transport tell you exactly where you are theoretically allowed to go with you current means of transport. But the map provided by Google map is not perfect and not up-to-date, there is not much that can be done about it...
I think you probably would have the same problem with a website using Bing Maps.

Netserk said:
Just mapped the circuit with mapmyride, but the profile is bad there, so I've also mapped most of the circuit (the interesting bit) with tracks4bikers (I can't map more of the circuit there as the beta tracker is missing some functions...):

OYCd1.jpg

*Does anyone know a site (other than tracks4bikers and bikeroutetoaster) where I can upload a gpx-file and get a good profile?

Lulu FTW.

ggjghjhj

So with the Ardennes races behind us, and the annual classics draught coming up: Will this race see a similar development as the firenze RR with the best punchy GC climbers get away on the last lap, or will the almost climby enough classics riders Cancellara, Sagan, Gilbert stick to the final move this time.

Judging from the profile, the main hill is slightly shorter and less steep than the firenze main hill. The Climber squadron got clear at the final steeper 7+% kms at firenze, whereas on this course the climb is 5,5,4,3 % where its much harder to get rid of them.

Either way, lets pray that the WC is raced harder than LBL. Don't think I can watch Valverde & Co towing Gerrans to a sprint again.