• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

We are not symetrical?

Have you guys seen this article?

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010...why-do-knees-often-track-asymetrically_120495

This is news to me. I find it interesting in that over the years, I have seen more riders that fit this description that the reverse, including myself. My left leg has always naturally tracked more laterally, where as the right seems to be more directly ahead. I always thought it must be due to an imbalance in my flexibility and/or muscular development. But now this article has me thinking otherwise.

If this is true, what natural (meaning non-cycling) advanatge would the human body have with this design?
Also, does this relate at all to why circular races (running, cycling, even horse and greyhound races) are always run counter-clockwise?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
marathon marke said:
Have you guys seen this article?

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010...why-do-knees-often-track-asymetrically_120495

This is news to me. I find it interesting in that over the years, I have seen more riders that fit this description that the reverse, including myself. My left leg has always naturally tracked more laterally, where as the right seems to be more directly ahead. I always thought it must be due to an imbalance in my flexibility and/or muscular development. But now this article has me thinking otherwise.

If this is true, what natural (meaning non-cycling) advanatge would the human body have with this design?
Also, does this relate at all to why circular races (running, cycling, even horse and greyhound races) are always run counter-clockwise?

Here's the article:

Oh completely. My legs are different lengths, arms too. I don't think it's unusual at all.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
marathon marke said:

Here's the article:

I think this is more due to "thats what we have always done". For instance even within Australia some state horse racing associations go counter-clockwise, whilst some race clockwise.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Well for a start true symmetry does not exist in nature. The human body essentially grows as two separate halves (basic human biology here folks). You'll have people whom are really close... but still asymmetrical. For others the asymmetry will be more pronounced.

I'll leave the debate as to whether this be by evolution or designed to other forums ;)

As for the racing in clockwise/anti-clockwise... there are many theories but look up "widdershins". Basically different cultures, places race in both directions for different reasons.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Suggest you look on Steve Hogs web site and read his posts on this subject.

usualy we can manipulate the sacro ialiac joint untill we reach 40yo after that is sets in whatever position it is in so riders that have had a carear of crashing etc should get the balance right before that age. often we ignor these injuries untill they start playing up later in life.

Its hard to find anyone who is perfect and Steve Hogg discusses this and reasons why in detail.

Go to the fittness forum

Read Enjoy

I understand that we don't grow/develope symetrically, and that early experiences (training, cultural influences, crashes, etc.) might produce asymetrical growth in our bodies. But what I find interesting is that the majority of people being tested by these fitters are finding the same results in most of their riders. That is what I find fascinating and I'm wondering what practical reason this might have in a human body's function. Doesn't anyone here find this to be fascinating?

As far as racing in a clockwise direction goes by other cultures, could this possibly have any correlation to the rotation of thes earth, as the direction of draining water changes as you cross the equator? But for now, I can let this one go. :eek:

Okay, so maybe I need to get back on the bike instead of pondering such strange ideas...:p

nightfend said:
In the Mid-Atlantic, we race both clockwise and counter-clockwise on our crit courses. Just depends on the promoter and the course.

nightfend, we do the same here in the Midwest (Wisconsin). I was thinking more in the way of track racing, like ovals only. It seems that counter-clockwise is more common, at least from what I've seen. I heard years ago that humans canmake left-hand turns easier than right-hand...something to do with the position of the heart in the body, and how it affects balance. But I could be remembering it all wrong.

Anyway, back to my OT. Why do more people splay out their left knee than the right? (hey, I didn't get the ride in I wanted to today, so my mind is just too busy trying to keep busy! LOL)