• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

WEAR A HELMET: Remembering the late, great Fabio Casartelli

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Remembering the late, great Fabio Casartelli

In 1995, Fabio Casartelli crashed head first into a concrete block that was lining the edge of the road on a typical fast hairy descent in Le Tour. This was the days before helmets were compulsory.

There was no live SBS coverage in those days. However SBS would show the French TV news live, and on this occasion they were broadcasting this part of the stage live.

The fall was shown in full European gory detail, the impact was recorded, as was the almost immediate first aid by Le Tour Doctor.

Le Doctor immediately felt for a pulse, it did not look good, as the pool of blood spread across the road.

Le Helicopter landed almost immediately and Casartelli was air lifted to hospital. Fabio was resusitated several times en route, but there was no hope.

Today, whenever Le Tour passes along the route Col de Portet d'Aspet, the stage is neutral.

Riders halt at the memorial to Fabio for a moments silence.

Racing commences only after this tribute has been paid to Fabio.

To this day, all cyclists from around the world that pass this monument stop and reflect.

To quote from Wiki....

"....His Motorola team continued the Tour de France, crossing the finish line of the next stage first, side by side. The peloton followed behind, riding slowly. The Société du Tour de France awarded the stage prizes as normal, and the riders donated all the money won that day to a fund established for his family. The Tour later matched that amount, and thousands of individuals contributed to the fund.

The Société du Tour de France and the Motorola team placed a memorial near where he crashed. The memorial is a sundial arranged so that the sun's shadow highlights three dates — his birth and death and the day he won his Olympic gold medal. The bicycle he was riding at the time of his fatal crash was placed in the chapel at the Madonna del Ghisallo, a church and museum to cyclists near his home.

Fabio si classifica Boy si sarà mai dimenticata

Mick

800px-Monument_Fabio_Casartelli.jpg

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Good post Mick, except for one detail.
Your title suggests 'Wear a Helmet', but here's another wikipedia quote:

Gerald Porte, the Tour's senior doctor, claimed that protection was academic since the fatal blow was to an area of Casartelli's head that would not have been covered by a helmet.

You see, most cyclists who die in a crash die from multiple injuries, and a helmet would save very few of them. What's more Casartelli was going about 50mph when he crashed, and a helmet will provide almost no protection above 20mph. If you want to promote helmet use write the story of Andrei Kivilev, a man who would almost certainly be here today if he'd just worn a helmet.

A

Anonymous

Admiral Makarov said:

Gerald Porte, the Tour's senior doctor, claimed that protection was academic since the fatal blow was to an area of Casartelli's head that would not have been covered by a helmet.

You see, most cyclists who die in a crash die from multiple injuries, and a helmet would save very few of them. What's more Casartelli was going about 50mph when he crashed, and a helmet will provide almost no protection above 20mph. If you want to promote helmet use write the story of Andrei Kivilev, a man who would almost certainly be here today if he'd just worn a helmet.

Can you cite sources for these claims?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
mickkk said:
In 1995, Fabio Casartelli crashed head first into a concrete block that was lining the edge of the road on a typical fast hairy descent in Le Tour. This was the days before helmets were compulsory.

There was no live SBS coverage in those days. However SBS would show the French TV news live, and on this occasion they were broadcasting this part of the stage live.

The fall was shown in full European gory detail, the impact was recorded, as was the almost immediate first aid by Le Tour Doctor.

Le Doctor immediately felt for a pulse, it did not look good, as the pool of blood spread across the road.

Le Helicopter landed almost immediately and Casartelli was air lifted to hospital. Fabio was resusitated several times en route, but there was no hope.

Today, whenever Le Tour passes along the route Col de Portet d'Aspet, the stage is neutral.

To this day, all cyclists from around the world that pass this monument stop and reflect.

To quote from Wiki....

"....His Motorola team continued the Tour de France, crossing the finish line of the next stage first, side by side. The peloton followed behind, riding slowly. The Société du Tour de France awarded the stage prizes as normal, and the riders donated all the money won that day to a fund established for his family. The Tour later matched that amount, and thousands of individuals contributed to the fund.

The Société du Tour de France and the Motorola team placed a memorial near where he crashed. The memorial is a sundial arranged so that the sun's shadow highlights three dates — his birth and death and the day he won his Olympic gold medal. The bicycle he was riding at the time of his fatal crash was placed in the chapel at the Madonna del Ghisallo, a church and museum to cyclists near his home.

Mick

800px-Monument_Fabio_Casartelli.jpg

Remembering all professional cyclists that died doing what they love-great.

Creating a helmet thread-'a helmet would have saved his life'-poor form.

A helmet would have not done anything to help this or many other bicycle riders who crash.

NOT a panacea for head injuries. They "may" help, helmets never hurt but no guarantees.

May 1, 2009
Visit site
This is a 'wear a helmet' thread. It belongs in the general forum. Or try cyclingforums.com they love keeping this thread going for like 12 years

Unless you are asking professional cyclists to wear one. In that case i think this is a redundant thread, as they are all required to wear one.

b0llocks to wearing helmets if people drove responsibly we would be safe. Harsher sentences for dangerous drivers would save more cyclist lives than helmets.

I wear a helmet most of the time by the way but my point remains the same.

A

Anonymous

remember him and all the others...

but also to keep it in perspective, nothing would have saved him that day :(

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
boalio said:
This is a 'wear a helmet' thread. It belongs in the general forum. Or try cyclingforums.com they love keeping this thread going for like 12 years

Unless you are asking professional cyclists to wear one. In that case i think this is a redundant thread, as they are all required to wear one.

No, its really a tribute to Fabio but I see nothing wrong with promoting helmets. A lot of kids read this forum who like a lot of us when we were young, think they are bullet proof.

Without a helmet, Fabio had no chance, with a helmet, he might have had half a chance.

mickkk said:
No, its really a tribute to Fabio but I see nothing wrong with promoting helmets. A lot of kids read this forum who like a lot of us when we were young, think they are bullet proof.

Without a helmet, Fabio had no chance, with a helmet, he might have had half a chance.

Of course there is a good argument to be made that helmets use promotes a false sense of security, leading people, especially kids, to take risks they would not normally take. Bell used to have the most irresponsible advertising campaign ever devised when their tagline was "Courage for your head."

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
That is indeed an odd marketing strategy. In the 80s I had a Bell helmet, it was grouse, heavy but so cool in the summer.

We once had a guy that was walking backwards, tripped over a treated pine rail and smashed his bonce on the road. He cracked his helmet but was unscathed. If he had not had that on, he would have smashed his skull.

I never wore one until they were compulsory and I reckon I am lucky to be alive. Used to go down hills like the one at Nimmitabel at 80 clicks having never seen the road before, cars left right and centre, madness.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
It is Tour time again so another reminder to wear a helmet and remember the tragic loss of Fabio Casartelli.

The image below is graphic, I post it every year and after debate it is removed. I post it to show you what can happen in the blink of an eye, to make you know that if it can happen to an Olympic Champion in his prime it can happen to you.

To quote from Wiki....

mickkk said:
The image below is graphic, I post it every year and after debate it is removed. I post it to show you what can happen in the blink of an eye, to make you know that if it can happen to an Olympic Champion in his prime it can happen to you.

Maybe you should take your helmet crusade to another forum instead of the pro racing one. There is already a helmet thread in the gear forum.

A helmet would not have saved Casartelli anyway.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
uphillstruggle said:
b0llocks to wearing helmets if people drove responsibly we would be safe. Harsher sentences for dangerous drivers would save more cyclist lives than helmets.

I wear a helmet most of the time by the way but my point remains the same.

What point? Wearing helmets doesn't cause irresponsible driving. It's like saying that eating healthily is b0llucks because exercise will do more for your health. Besides not all crashes are caused by irresponsible drivers, I slipped once on some snow and broke a collarbone and a helmet. Besides helmets aren't necessarily ineffective because an irresponsible driver caused the crash.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for enforcing the traffic regulation, but it's got nothing to do with wearing helmet.

Admiral Makarov said:

Thanks for your post and telling the truth about Casartelli's death. It's so enfuriating to hear and read over and over again that Fabio could have been saved by a bike helmet.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Helmets save scalps

The simplest thing about bike helmets is they are designed to protect a head falling the distance from riding position to the road. Add more energy to the equation, like speed and or reduce the deceleration distance like hitting a curb or post and bicycle helmets lose their protective value very fast.
In most cycling collisions helmets do most of their work in the slide to a stop and against abrasions and small items along the way. They protect your scalp.
Using Fabio Casartelli's death as an example of a potential helmet save is Naive. His kinetic energy was way beyond the protective limits of 1 1/2 inches of foam when it comes against a hard immovable object.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I am not getting in to the helmet debate........

Just a reminder that it is 15 years today since Fabios passing.

242bixc.jpg

Fabio Casartelli - 16 August 1970 - 18 July 1995.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Pietro said:
Remembering all professional cyclists that died doing what they love-great.

Creating a helmet thread-'a helmet would have saved his life'-poor form.

A helmet would have not done anything to help this or many other bicycle riders who crash.

NOT a panacea for head injuries. They "may" help, helmets never hurt but no guarantees.

Nor are seatbelts, airbags, roll cages (in race cars), etc...

You get my point?

I always wear helmet, not because of Casartelli (and anyway; we're kinda short of dangerous descends here...) but because it's simply... smart!

(Must admit there have been times lately where I, while going up the last little hill on my way home, have considered taking my helmet off, but then I think about what they're doing in France... if they can keep there helmets on in worse heat and on worse climbs then so can I!)

Cerberus said:
What point? Wearing helmets doesn't cause irresponsible driving....
Sorry, ...yes it does.

Wearing helmets 'more dangerous'

Cyclists who wear protective helmets are more likely to be knocked down by passing vehicles, new research from Bath University suggests.

"The study found drivers tend to pass closer when overtaking cyclists wearing helmets than those who are bare-headed...

...Dr Walker, a traffic psychologist from the University's Department of Psychology, said: "This study shows that when drivers overtake a cyclist, the margin for error they leave is affected by the cyclist's appearance.

"By leaving the cyclist less room, drivers reduce the safety margin that cyclists need to deal with obstacles in the road, such as drain covers and potholes, as well as the margin for error in their own judgements.

"We know helmets are useful in low-speed falls, and so definitely good for children, but whether they offer any real protection to somebody struck by a car is very controversial.

"Either way, this study suggests wearing a helmet might make a collision more likely in the first place," he added...."

TRENDING THREADS