• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Weight loss? Whats better cycling or running?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
There are some good replies here - and I am in with those suggesting that there is no one "best". It is all individual. Running will result in stress-related injuries more often - but it can be done away from traffic. My vote is for cycling, like other replies, because I enjoy it more.

There are two things I would add - quantity may not be the dieter's friend. I find that large miles increase my hunger to an unbearable level, and defeat the purpose. So, when trying to lose weight, I do minimal aerobic riding. For instance - on a long cross country tour, I do not lose weight. When I was racing and riding 8-10K miles per year, it was the same. I had to cut back on my miles to lose weight. Other people will be different.

I also think that the original question should go to 3, maybe 4 activities: cycling, running, and walking. Walking and running are not the same thing. Walking is low impact, running is not. Although I think the science on all this is sketchy, I believe what science there is supports walking and weight-lifting as superior to other physical activities for weight loss.

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
People underestimate running but running is a very technical sport and I really claim that 99% percent of the people dont know how to run .

I recommend cycling + dieting

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I say swimming, but I'm a swimming coach, so I'm heavily biased. It's far lower-impact in terms of wear-and-tear injuries than both running and cycling. Plus it's the only one you can continue doing even if injured without risking further injury - Example: If an athlete tears a ligament in their ankle, they can put a pull buoy on and pull through the water and can still get their heart rate up to the same point, whereas they wouldn't be able to run or cycle. So it's good from that aspect. The drawback is that it's facility-specific: to run or cycle, all you need is a road or path.

I think cycling is lower-impact than running and probably a quicker and easier way to get the heart rate up into the aerobic zone and keep it there for a longer time. Lots of people can't run very far, but if you're on a bike, you're likely to be able to keep moving longer. Depending on your fitness goals, it won't do much to tone the upper body, but you can certainly burn off the weight on a bike.

The issue I have with running is that it is extremely high-impact on the body, particularly for heavier individuals. Especially with respect to the ankles and knees, although heel injuries are common too. It is excellent exercise but there's a higher likelihood of physical problems, especially for people with lousy running technique. And if you develop something like plantar fasciitis, your doctor will give you the frustrating "you're overweight and need to exercise, but you need to stay off your foot, no running for the next six weeks" lecture.

I'd mix it up using all three, triathlon-style, just for variety and to keep my body guessing, but that's just me.

undencem said:
People underestimate running but running is a very technical sport and I really claim that 99% percent of the people dont know how to run .

I recommend cycling + dieting

i do both and am an ok runner.i am not from an athletic family mostly and have had to work at being a decent runner. like you say it is very technical. just watch 100m folks versus 1500m versus 10000m and beyond. big difference in
the physic and stride needed. a different attitude goes with each distance too.

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
None Of The Above

durianrider said:
Id say cycling hands down. Cos heavy people can do it easily and safely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWY63gcW7NQ

Neither one! All you need is
19t3z6.jpg

30 a day.

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Durianrider,
Running for me as running helps in burning body fat and boosting metabolism to lose weight. Oxygen inhaled while running gives great amount of energy specially to our joint. Running promotes muscular development, strengthen our lungs and heart and reduce the risk of high blood pressure, cholesterol, depression and cardiovascular disease.

Great to hear you can run. You are lucky as a lot of overweight people simply physically can't maintain a running programme due to the impact that running has on the body. Thats why I recommend cycling as numero uno weight loss champion. :)

I ran a 34:19 for 10 000m yesterday. I struggle to run more than an hour at a time though. Put me on a bike and I can literally ride 10 hours listening to an audio book.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
the big ring said:
Walking .

Best answer.

Kind of funny, i have been running and cycling a small loop near my house for years. Maybe 2 years ago i saw this man who was HUGE(not making fun of him, just trying to explain his size)Maybe 400 pounds. He was walking a short distance and really sweating. I kept my eye on him, a little worried that he might collapse. I would see him periodically and noticed that he was smaller. It came slowly but gradually. A year ago he was still maybe 300lbs. I saw him today, he is half his original size now. maybe 210. He is maybe 6 ft 3. At first i thought maybe he had some surgery but then he lost his weight at such an even gradual rate and seeing how he gradually increased his mileage until i would see him 3 miles from home i think it was pretty much the walking.
the funny part is all us fatties running & cycling and staying pretty much the same and this guy like the tortoise and the hare just stayed with it and got it done!
WALKING.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Just goes to show how messed up we are as species when walking is a strenuous activity. It shouldn't be. Walking is a basic human function, like breathing.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Tapeworm said:
Just goes to show how messed up we are as species when walking is a strenuous activity. It shouldn't be. Walking is a basic human function, like breathing.
I don't think the "walking as an answer" is meant to be strenous normally. A 3-400 lbs person isn't normal by any stretch. But, yeah, I get what you mean. Walking should be normal. We haven't exactly designed our world that way in the US, have we!

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
I was 400lbs in August 1995. I was 45 years old and hadn't exercised since high school. I ended up in the hospital with type II diabetes. Upon discharge I embarked on an exercise program and lost 175 lbs. over 18 months. I started out walking. For the average joe it's all that's needed.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
^ I whole-hearted agree that walking, especially for the unfit and/or overweight is excellent.

My statement is more of an indictment of modern society and how, as a species, we are pretty messed up. Though that could be added to a long list of things...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Tapeworm said:
^ I whole-hearted agree that walking, especially for the unfit and/or overweight is excellent.

My statement is more of an indictment of modern society and how, as a species, we are pretty messed up. Though that could be added to a long list of things...

well yes and no. My family has been farmers for awhile. I had a relative who walked 5 miles into town on a regular basis. Even into her late 80's. She lived to be 105. She also lived in the same house her husband built in the late 1880's. No air No electricity No heat other than a pot bellied stove. She chopped her own wood for the stove. She was cold in winter, and hot in summer. Old fashioned living might sound great, but basically you life revolved around pure subsistance. Most families in rural areas lived by the same schedule. People needlepointed it on towels. Monday was wash day tuesday ironing the wash wednesday sewing thursday market day friday cleaning day saturday baking day sunday rest.
When i went to my grandmothers and god forbid you got muddy and wet in the winter you would freeze before you got clean. You had to go pump water, bring it inside, get the fire going high to heat the water and then try and clean yourself off. It took the better part of an hour. Not alot of fun when you are cold, wet and covered in mud. I appreciate hot showers and NEVER take them for granted.
I do not own an ipad or other similar device, i eschew alot of innovations, i go for long periods with no internet access. But still i recognize that everything is a trade off. As much as i prefer performing physical labor or walking it is just impossible to do at times. In order to have certain things we must make certain sacrifices, i cannot cherry pick a way of life and i think most people would prefer to live in our society today than when people basically walked everywhere.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
We don't need to return to a rustic lifestyle, rather maybe not ignore our physical well being to the point where walking is actually strenuous exercise.

That being said, I think the greatest thing that could happen to our race is the introduction of another top predator. Nothing like running for your life to ensure natural selection resumes its rightful course :D

Edit: like zombies!

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Tapeworm said:
We don't need to return to a rustic lifestyle, rather maybe not ignore our physical well being to the point where walking is actually strenuous exercise.

That being said, I think the greatest thing that could happen to our race is the introduction of another top predator. Nothing like running for your life to ensure natural selection resumes its rightful course :D

Edit: like zombies!

Remove all elevators and escalators.

Very annoying to have to take them all the time when the doors to the stairwell are locked or worse alarmed :-/

Hide all remote controls.

Remove all road-side car parking.

With you on the top predator introduction, but mainly coz:
1. i like aliens
2. space sounds cool, as long as I can work out how to fly this damn ship soon enou-shhhh here they come!

Dear Wiggo said:
Remove all elevators and escalators.

Very annoying to have to take them all the time when the doors to the stairwell are locked or worse alarmed :-/

Hide all remote controls.

Remove all road-side car parking.

With you on the top predator introduction, but mainly coz:
1. i like aliens
2. space sounds cool, as long as I can work out how to fly this damn ship soon enou-shhhh here they come!

I hear you wiggo but reality is the majority of people eating the 'balanced diet' are overweight. I live beach front on Kirra Beach. Prolly one of the most active beach side boardwalks in the world. Everday I get up near sun rise and head out there myself or sit with my laptop overlooking the board walk. Id say 95% of the cyclists, runners and walkers out there are on the tubby side with around 70% obviously overweight.

Diet is what keeps you slim regardless of exercise output.
Exercise is what gets you toned and fit.
Combine both for best results.

Ive never seen a fat high carb vegan. I see plenty of fat cyclists though that are fitter than some of my high carb vegan mates that don't train at all.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
durianrider said:
Kirra Beach. Prolly one of the most active beach side boardwalks in the world.

LOL. For someone as well travelled as you report to be, you have one very myopic and skewed view of the world. You're still making me laugh with this statement.

durianrider said:
Id say 95% of the cyclists, runners and walkers out there are on the tubby side with around 70% obviously overweight.

Diet is what keeps you slim regardless of exercise output.
Exercise is what gets you toned and fit.
Combine both for best results.

Ive never seen a fat high carb vegan. I see plenty of fat cyclists though that are fitter than some of my high carb vegan mates that don't train at all.

So you know what all of the cyclists and runners are eating? LOL. At the very least, you are good for a weekly laugh. Thanks for the entertainment.

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I think the more important focus should be placed on the intensity of the training effort, irregardless of whether or not one chooses cycling or running. And of course showing discipline when it comes to calorie intake. There's no substitute for anaerobic training.

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Cycling, IME.
Stay in the 'fat-burning' zone for a couple hours a day (one in the morning and one in the evening) to avoid the late night munchies, and you will lose weight, again, in IME. If your intensity is too high, you will definitely get the carb-depleted munchies and ruin your progress. Weight loss is all about maintaining momentum and keeping the 'slip-ups' to a minimum Stay primarily aerobic.

Tapeworm said:
Strange, most studies of late have shown the exact opposite. High intensity efforts yield better fat loss.
That jives with this recent study at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. In this study, in some instances, per calorie expended, runners lost 90% more weight than walkers.

The human engine is about 25% efficient. Of every four calories consumed, about three are expended in the interest of cooling the machine (perspiration). If there is supplemental cooling, we can exert harder, longer, because more of the energy budget remains available for work.

The walker takes the biggest hit because his cooling is aided the least by the airflow his self-locomotion creates. But the cyclist is moving fastest through the air, meaning his energy available for work is the highest. And the more energetic the effort, the greater the weight loss.

Way back when, I read an estimate that Tony Rominger burned more than 3000 calories in the 60 minutes he'd spent breaking the world hour record. I don't see a runner matching that.

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Please see the acronym IME in my post.
It stands for "In My Experience".
Do a search for the studies that have found staying in the fat-burning zone is very effective. You will find thousands, I'm sure.
The argument for both remains, so what?
Choose what works best for each individual, right?
Tried both regimens to lose weight, and BY FAR staying aerobic is the most long-standing. Yes, you may be able to lose weight quicker with higher intensities, but good luck with those hunger-induced binges it will cause. Sustainable weight loss is best accomplished by staying aerobic and burning fat while you exercise - not after the exercise is over, again, IME. Nevertheless, YMMV...

Lastly, weight loss' most important component is DISCIPLINE - not running or cycling.

TRENDING THREADS