• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What about Contador's TDF wins in 2007 & 2009?

He's just a poor boy from Pinto. Nasty old Brunyeel made him dope.

The truth is that his 2007 TDF, 2008 Giro and 2009 TDF should be investigated. However, they won't be because doping stopped in 2006 and all of that is in the past.

There is about as much chance of them being investigated as there is of Dertie coming clean.

(What we don't know is to what extent the case against Hog/Marti etc extends beyond 2005 if USADA took it into the Astana era then he could be in trouble - if not then he'll get away with it again)

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
2009 isn't touched by this investigation/fall-out directly.

What Levi has to say about the 07 Tour doesn't look good though. Not that I think anything will come of it.

Yeah I was just reading that. Rider 16 is apparently Popovych though. I guess Berto had his own system, how he was able to ride against Lance in 09.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
taiwan said:
Yeah I was just reading that. Rider 16 is apparently Popovych though. I guess Berto had his own system, how he was able to ride against Lance in 09.

His own system is obviously named Pepe Marti. Anyways, for sake of sport we should hope Bruyneel will have to say everything.

JPM London said:
JB did say (yesterday?) that he'd "tell his side of the whole story" in connection with his arbitration...
He also said he'd only go forward if he thought he could get a fair trial. Left the door wide open for an expeditious retreat right there.

Contador might have more to fear from the ongoing Puerto case, sadly.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Lances titles were stripped because the others on the podium also failed tests. But do people really want to see Andy and cadel get tdf victories because Contador was working with hog?

No, no more title stripping or podium reshuffling.
But a life time ban would be nice and justified. Dirty leads and symbolizes a whole generation of Spanish PED endorsement, enhancement and enabling.
Who cares about Barredo. I'd rather see they kick Dirty out of the sport. send out a strong signal and compel the Spanish to update their anti-doping policy.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Contador is not for our beloved sport

Hilarious how UCI are speculating with Barredo. There are thunders and lightnings all around - Armstrong, Bruyneel and Ferrari - but UCI acts as though nothing is happening. They easily catch another little fish to show an anti-doping course is on! :)

May 10, 2011
Visit site
airstream said:
Contador is not for our beloved sport

Hilarious how UCI are speculating with Barredo. There are thunders and lightnings all around - Armstrong, Bruyneel and Ferrari - but UCI acts as though nothing is happening. They easily catch another little fish to show an anti-doping course is on! :)

The sport is clean I tell you! Clean! No one's doping at all, never.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
No, no more title stripping or podium reshuffling.
But a life time ban would be nice and justified. Dirty leads and symbolizes a whole generation of Spanish PED endorsement, enhancement and enabling.
Who cares about Barredo. I'd rather see they kick Dirty out of the sport. send out a strong signal and compel the Spanish to update their anti-doping policy.

You're just a hater. I'm sorry for you.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Lances titles were stripped because the others on the podium also failed tests. But do people really want to see Andy and cadel get tdf victories because Contador was working with hog?

To exeggerate your point, we should only catch the number 1 guy when we've already caught the guys who finished 2nd and 3rd?

If Contador used doping in 2007 and 2009 (duh) and it can be proven, I want him to get a lifetime ban. I don't really care how entertaining he is or who finished in second place and now gets a 'win'.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Good to see your support for cleaning up the sport. Dont want the truth because someone you dont like might win?

Go follow Wrestling its as credible as cycling but you know the nice guy will always win.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
USADA must have some jurisdiction in the case of 2007, but can they go after a Spanish rider (presumably yes) but, more importantly, would they want to? The non-Americans charged are all other employees complicit in the doping strategy of a US registered team. Going after foreign riders would land them in a politcal and funding minefield.

So who can do it? Spain won't. Astana are basically immune. So that leaves the ADAs of the other countries he did the dirty in. Just can't see any asterisks happening here.

Lanark said:
To exeggerate your point, we should only catch the number 1 guy when we've already caught the guys who finished 2nd and 3rd?

If Contador used doping in 2007 and 2009 (duh) and it can be proven, I want him to get a lifetime ban. I don't really care how entertaining he is or who finished in second place and now gets a 'win'.

As I said in the Hamilton vs Eki question, i dont like people being stripped of tiltes which are then awarded to someone else, because they fell at a hurdle the other rider did not have to jump.

Its different if Contador fails the same test Andy Schleck took, and if Contador's ds talks whereas Andy's or Evans's ds doesn't.

Especially since Andy was with frickin riis. Though the irony that Andy would win a title because Contadors current ds doesn't speak out, would be quite heavy.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
dadane said:
USADA must have some jurisdiction in the case of 2007, but can they go after a Spanish rider (presumably yes) but, more importantly, would they want to? The non-Americans charged are all other employees complicit in the doping strategy of a US registered team. Going after foreign riders would land them in a politcal and funding minefield.

So who can do it? Spain won't. Astana are basically immune. So that leaves the ADAs of the other countries he did the dirty in. Just can't see any asterisks happening here.

He's not a USAC licence holder so I dont think USADA would have jursisdiction over over contador unless he failed a doping control they did themselves, or they have evidence of doping (via testomony) on US soil by contador.
They could go after the docs helpers and the hog because they aided USAC licence holders to dope

they could pass any other evidence they have to the appropriate country for investigation if they have any, or to the UCI (should be both)

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
taiwan said:
Well obviously Berto may well have doped but I am not sure that him beating LA in 09 is really evidence of it. LAs 09 doping would have had to be a lot more circumspect than pre 06. Your baseline Berto is a lot more capable than your baseline LA especially an old one.

The Hitch said:

He should not lose the titles just because of his association with Bruyneel but if there was a proper investigation and the top five riders were investigated and Contador was proven to be doping and the others were not, I don't have a problem with it. What happens if they find the entire top 10 were doping ? I think they are afraid of this scenario because of the time and cost involved in a wide ranging investigation. Also how far back can they go to retest samples with accuracy. Either way, the UCI is going to look stupid and corrupt but if they are serious about cleaning up the sport, they are never going to get a better set of circumstances to do it in. While the heat is on many riders and team managers, I think it should be pursued and they should review all the results starting from this year and then others will start talking. They always do especially if they are offered a deal similar to ones made with USADA. But of course the UCI can't investigate itself. That needs a different approach.

rata de sentina said:
Well obviously Berto may well have doped but I am not sure that him beating LA in 09 is really evidence of it. LAs 09 doping would have had to be a lot more circumspect than pre 06. Your baseline Berto is a lot more capable than your baseline LA especially an old one.

As far as 09 goes, Contador verbier is proof of doping. Thats not just beating LA, thats beating every rider in history for VAM.

TRENDING THREADS