• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What beer ya drinkin'?

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
beer-can-coffin.jpg

the beer coffin. not sure if want logos on mine if at all.

Going up to my favourite drankenhandel in Winksele on Saturday to take back the empties and stock up for the silly season. Any requests? ;)

Scott, Jeff, slowoldman, et al, please recommend me some new ideas will you? Obviously, suggestions must be available in Belgium.

We like the thicker brews mainly, but I want to hear about anything you've got that isn't already on my (lengthy) list. :p

craig1985 said:
What am I drinking? Why that would be Sapporo. Yet it says on the bottle, 'Product of Canada'.

All Sapporo we get these days comes out of Canada, the owner of Sapporo has Canadian assets too, it just works out we get it from the Canadian breweries. There are other weird cases like this... Sometimes the imported Carlsberg we get is from Malaysia.

Ale >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lager.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
Going up to my favourite drankenhandel in Winksele on Saturday to take back the empties and stock up for the silly season. Any requests? ;)

Scott, Jeff, slowoldman, et al, please recommend me some new ideas will you? Obviously, suggestions must be available in Belgium.

We like the thicker brews mainly, but I want to hear about anything you've got that isn't already on my (lengthy) list. :p

I'm flattered, but to be honest, you're a Cat 1 asking a Cat 5 for advice. :D

slowoldman said:
I'm flattered, but to be honest, you're a Cat 1 asking a Cat 5 for advice. :D

Well, I went up there Saturday as planned, taking the empties and telling the other half I'd "only get a few bottles". But I easily filled three crates. :D

Played it very safe. Bought their stock of Nieuwhuys Alpaide, which is one of my absolute favourites and quite hard to track down even here. Added lots of (newly relabelled) Ellezelleoise Hercule, miscellaneous Pannepots and some St Bernardus 12.

The bad news was that Smisje has recently stopped producing the Wostyntje mustard ale of which my other half is a big fan. :(

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I have just found that a bottle shop near where I live sells Amstel Gold, Henninger, and La Trappe. Looks like I will send a fair of money in there.

A

Anonymous

craig1985 said:
I have just found that a bottle shop near where I live sells Amstel Gold, Henninger, and La Trappe. Looks like I will send a fair of money in there.

Le Trappe dubbel and quadruppel is, well, in a Trappist sense, DIVINE.

Scott SoCal said:
Le Trappe dubbel and quadruppel is, well, in a Trappist sense, DIVINE.

Just bought a couple of Trappe quads last weekend, mainly for a test-drive. If you like 'em, I guess I will too! :)

craig1985 said:

Forget the Amstels, sir, because they're probably recipe-licensed-to-brew-elsewhere junk! Or at least see what else they've got in there first - if they're doing La Trappe, there might be some other gems too! :)

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I would only buy Amstel, well because of the certain race that they sponsor. Have you two tried Überbraü, and if so, what did you think? I had it for the first time last night and I didn't mind it.

craig1985 said:
I would only buy Amstel, well because of the certain race that they sponsor. Have you two tried Überbraü, and if so, what did you think? I had it for the first time last night and I didn't mind it.

I don't know it, Craig. Sounds German or Austrian.

Maybe it's the same in Oz with wine, but when you live in a country like Belgium, where beer is sort of central to life and work, folks tend not to promote the beers of other countries.

My experience of Belgian beer is quite good, I would say. I'm much less familiar with ales from elsewhere, except perhaps for the dishwater they sell in my own country. ;)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I drank some very fresh Harpoon IPA this past weekend in Boston.

Coupled with the best clam chowder I've ever eaten, it was a delightful evening :D

splashImage2.png

Plus it's a pretty cool pic...Guess it could go in the BoB thread as well...

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Might as well make my first post here something I'm knowledgeable about....

Sam Adams Oktoberfest has been finding its way into my glass lately. But I'm far to unmotavated to take/post or hot link a pic.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
After a month off the bike, I joined a new club and hoped that I would be able to hang with the group on an end of season 85km ride. Nice and easy I thought, except for 35km/h head winds and 6-8C temperature. I'd ridden RAMROD this year (250km in less than 8hrs) and had carried the legs and fitness for a while. Well that fitness and those legs left me well and truly, just like the rest of my new club mates! I struggled and was dropped. My legs felt dead ... no, they were dead. Minor hills, even with the wind now at my back, seemed as hard as Ventoux. Anyway, a long way of saying that for the first time ever I bailed. I holed up in the Chelsea Pub near Gatineau Park while waiting for my rescue. While waiting, I drowned my sorrows (ahem ... recovered) with quite a nice IPA from Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec, a Colonel Cornwallis:

IMG_0278.jpg

It alleviated the bitter taste of defeat to some degree. But next time I'll do better ...

Well, I almost choked on my banana this lunchtime when I learned that the monks of Westvleteren were reportedly considering a temporary commercial sales deal to fund repairs to the monastery.

For those who are somehow unaware of it, Westvleteren 12 is widely believed to be the world's finest beer. It is brewed by monks on a not-for-profit basis and therefore cannot be resold by commercial outlets.

The deal would put Westvleteren's finest on sale in branches of the supermarket chain Colruyt for a limited time only.

Needless to say, I had reason to be excited, not least because there's a Colruyt a couple of streets from my place.

But then the doubt set in: Colruyt's beer selection is - for want of a better word - crap, which makes a Westy tie-in a bit of a strange prospect. Then I learned that the story originates from Het Laatste Nieuws, the less-than-reliable tabloid that brought you such gems as Patrick Lefevere: 30 Years of Dope.

Watch this space... :p

A

Anonymous

L'arriviste said:
Well, I almost choked on my banana this lunchtime when I learned that the monks of Westvleteren were reportedly considering a temporary commercial sales deal to fund repairs to the monastery.

For those who are somehow unaware of it, Westvleteren 12 is widely believed to be the world's finest beer. It is brewed by monks on a not-for-profit basis and therefore cannot be resold by commercial outlets.

The deal would put Westvleteren's finest on sale in branches of the supermarket chain Colruyt for a limited time only.

Needless to say, I had reason to be excited, not least because there's a Colruyt a couple of streets from my place.

But then the doubt set in: Colruyt's beer selection is - for want of a better word - crap, which makes a Westy tie-in a bit of a strange prospect. Then I learned that the story originates from Het Laatste Nieuws, the less-than-reliable tabloid that brought you such gems as Patrick Lefevere: 30 Years of Dope.

Watch this space... :p

Oh my. I'm torn.

I have spent 3 years developing connections to secure Westvleteren when I am in Belgium. All that work...:D

The monk that answers the beer phone isn't even surprised anymore when I call:D

Westvleteren 12 is simply the best there is, imo.