• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What beer ya drinkin'?

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Had a La Trappe Quadrupel last weekend while watching the 'cross online. Wasn't impressed with it, really. Cloyingly sweet and a bit thin - rather like a Noir de Dottignies, on which I was also never keen.

Happy turnaround from that last night, though. My local is doing a Christmas special on a Winterkoninkske (Winter Wren).

winterkoninkske_2008.jpg

Black, malty and deep flavoured. Absolutely delicious. I'm really starting to fall in love with Brouwerij Kerkom.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Juløl

It´s Scandinavian Christmas Beer (Juløl) time again...and that suits me just fine. All the major breweries (and the small ones too) brew up some very tasty dark beers from mid November till early January.

The "taste testing" has begun.
2478511642.jpg

pfi_15286_3.jpg

alla_julol_20092.jpg
Not sure why the Sam Adams is there...

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
This one clobbered me last night:

images

Aventinus Eisbock. 500 ml, 12%, and a truck load of complex flavour. I've been a big fan of the Dubbelbock under the same name for a while, but this one was a nice treat for me - a beer dork.

I only had the one last night, but I'm certainly feeling it this morning.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Finished work for the year at 12.10pm yesterday. By 12.40 I was a the pub, where I spent the last four hours (I usually finish at 4.30pm), given that I had been paid until 4.30pm, I felt good to get on the beers and being paid for it.

Good times.

A

Anonymous

usedtobefast said:
5029934753_fe258c2a6d_z.jpg

this is Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic. a friend has a pub and he has a very rare and hard to get keg of the stuff. amazing. almost 10ABV,so 2 pints and you are good to go.:)

The Stone Vertical series is amazing. The 09.09.09 is just.... really good. There is a local pub in town with 09.09.09 and 10.10.10 on tap. A real treat.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
avery-out-of-bounds-stout.jpg

samuelsmithnutbrownale.jpg

Keeping with the dark winter beer theme.

Currently, my days consist of skiing, drinking a few pints, and sleeping (vacation). Add in some pedaling to the routine, and I'll have the perfect winter break put together.

Cheers to all!

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I like Leffe and Grimbergen, belgian beer in general, but i don't drink beer much. If I have to drink, it's mainly wine with dinner.

A

Anonymous

nobilis said:
I like Leffe and Grimbergen, belgian beer in general, but i don't drink beer much. If I have to drink, it's mainly wine with dinner.

"If I have to drink" (shaking head side to side).

WTF!!

(Calming down now)

Yes, there are many wonderful French wines that, when paired correctly, compliment some meals very well.

(Trying to hold it together)

Um, some Belgian beers compliment meals tool.

I'm, uh, well... I tried.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
"If I have to drink" (shaking head side to side).

WTF!!

(Calming down now)

Yes, there are many wonderful French wines that, when paired correctly, compliment some meals very well.

(Trying to hold it together)

Um, some Belgian beers compliment meals tool.

I'm, uh, well... I tried.

Well, you know life is not only about beer. There are other stuff that you can do in life.
Drinking is not an end by itself.
And when you train very hard, your drinking decreases naturally. I usually have 2 glasses of wine at dinner and occasional beers from time to time and that's it. Dropping cyclists on the climbs is more enjoyable for me than get wasted everyday.

nobilis said:
Well, you know life is not only about beer. There are other stuff that you can do in life.
And when you train very hard, your drinking decreases naturally. I usually have 2 glasses of wine at dinner and occasional beers from time to time and that's it. Dropping cyclists on the climbs is more enjoyable for me than get wasted everyday.

You are young, so you have not yet mastered the art of doing both.;)

A

Anonymous

nobilis said:

Life is not just about beer. It's just a lot better with beer.

Dropping a competitor is fun. So is enjoying a Rochefort 10. Life is the art of balance.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
You are young, so you have not yet mastered the art of doing both.;)

lol. how do you know i'm young. I'm 30, is it supposed to be young?

Apparently, alcohol doesn't affect you the next day, but the day after. There is a story about Haussler winning a race while he was hung over.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Life is not just about beer. It's just a lot better with beer.

Dropping a competitor is fun. So is enjoying a Rochefort 10. Life is the art of balance.

So I guess i didn't find the right balance yet.

Sorry didn't mean to be a buzzkill in my posts. I'm not like that

May 6, 2009
Visit site
nobilis said:
So I guess i didn't find the right balance yet.

Sorry didn't mean to be a buzzkill in my posts. I'm not like that

It's all lighthearted mate :)

I'm not a massive drinker myself, even though I do enjoy a good beer.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
There just was a heavy fire in the Rochefort abbey!!

My heart skipped a beat, but no worries: the brewery was'nt damaged. (although 4 barrels of 27.000 liters of trappist were destroyed!)
Video link
(and the library is fine too, if you want to know)

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Buffalo Soldier said:
There just was a heavy fire in the Rochefort abbey!!

My heart skipped a beat, but no worries: the brewery was'nt damaged. (although 4 barrels of 27.000 trappist were destroyed!)
Video link
(and the library is fine too, if you want to know)

That sigh of relief you might hear is from Scott Socal :D

TRENDING THREADS