• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What beer ya drinkin'?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
looks like someone has a drinking problem.:) Careful with that .1%

buckler is a massive 0.5%. technically, drinking one buckler or even one 0.1 and then getting behind the wheel of a car is against the law where i live. the restaurants (and the label) warn about this. that is why the bottom two drinks were created; they have no alcohol in them at all.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
In my fridge right now: Sleeman's Honey Brown Lager and Creemore Premium Lager. Other Canadian favourites include Alexander Keith's IPA and their new Premium White, and especially Mill St. Brewery's Original Organic Lager.

If you like the Mill St, have you tried Beau's Lugtread Organic Lager?

Got introduced to that last thanksgiving ... and am working out how I'm going to get enough bottles of it back to NZ with me when I head down there for a three month stint shortly ... :confused:

Very nice drop - which has nearly displaced Carlsberg Master Brew as my all time favourite ... :D

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Local brew is currently favorite

what a great chance to comment. I love beer and have for a long time. Living in Germany and touring Europe gave me great expectations. Like another poster, i'm mostly partaking of red wine when I do have something (it's a cholesterol thing), but there is a seriously good brew made in Athens, GA that is worthwhile and I recommend it to anyone that has better than average beer expectations:
Terrapin Beer Co. is the manufacturer and their Rye Pale Ale is the cool elixir of complete satisfaction that I have come to know. Check it out!
Plus, they support cycling. They were at the Tour of Georgia and provide support to the Jittery Joe's continental bike team.
cheers,
kurt_sc

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Do I detect some serious beer snobbery here? :)

What on earth's wrong with Guinness? Okay, I know it doesn't travel as well as some of the others, but won't swap a good pint for anything else, except the odd Murphy's.

From the bottle? Anything cold! :p

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
cody_57 said:

What on earth's wrong with Guinness? Okay, I know it doesn't travel as well as some of the others, but won't swap a good pint for anything else, except the odd Murphy's.

I drank Guinness in Ireland (including straight from the brewery in Dublin) and it was damn good. Still drink it here in Canada, especially in winter, but it is definitely not as good as it was on home soil.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
cody_57 said:
Several things:

1) It's brewed under licence in many countries. The resulting beer tastes significantly different to Irish Guinness, so I'm told. In any case, I don't think the stuff they call Guinness down on this side of the equator tastes that great.

2) A lot of the pubs that have it here serve it ice-cold.

3) If I want a drink that tastes like coffee, I'll drink coffee, thanks ;)

A

Anonymous

rgmerk said:
Several things:

1) It's brewed under licence in many countries. The resulting beer tastes significantly different to Irish Guinness, so I'm told. In any case, I don't think the stuff they call Guinness down on this side of the equator tastes that great.

3) If I want a drink that tastes like coffee, I'll drink coffee, thanks ;)

Good post, except #3, which I would say "Nothing ventured, nothing gained".

IMO, it's a good thing the Belgians scoffed at the German Reinheitsgebot (beer purity law), otherwise Kreik Beer, beers brewed with coriander, oranges, wheat, apricots and coffee would not be around.

I like the "let's try this and see what it tastes like" brewmaster mentality. Kinda like aging your Zinfandel wine in different oak barrels. Very artistic and open to interpretation... All this beer talk and I'm thirsty. Is it 5 o'clock yet??

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
cody_57 said:

Guinness is OK and I will drink some every once in awhile, it was the beer that got me away from the crap beer made by Anheuser Busch and the like. That being said I like Murphy's and Beamish better in that style.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
I drank Guinness in Ireland (including straight from the brewery in Dublin) and it was damn good. Still drink it here in Canada, especially in winter, but it is definitely not as good as it was on home soil.

Funny how that is. It's brilliant in Ireland, and just good elsewhere. Even in Fishguard, right off the boat from Ireland it seemed different. Still bloody good though.

rgmerk said:

In Ireland many pubs serve a second tap for Guinness extra cold. I haven't seen that at home. But I found that if the 'tender poured it right it was all the same temperature by the time he was finished.

pedaling squares said:
Funny how that is. It's brilliant in Ireland, and just good elsewhere. Even in Fishguard, right off the boat from Ireland it seemed different. Still bloody good though.

In Ireland many pubs serve a second tap for Guinness extra cold. I haven't seen that at home. But I found that if the 'tender poured it right it was all the same temperature by the time he was finished.

i have not had native poured guinness, but even here on the left coast, it is good and creamy from the tap, or the can's they bring here.
my local brewpub has "blimp hanger porter" for a really nice dark beer, done here.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:

Yeah know, Guinees Extra Cold came out in the late 90s (I think), and I saw it for the first time in a pub in Dublin in '99. Of course I drank it in copious amounts but as you say about the temps I could tell very little, if any, difference. Upon inquiring to the bartender, I was informed that it was great marketing and approximately 2C degrees colder at the tap...that was it. Didn't stop me from drinking more. :D

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm drinking one of these at the moment. Not bad.. but nothing really that special.

coney-island-lager-jersey.jpeg

Edit: Just saw that this jersey is made by http://www.microbeerjerseys.com/. Good to see there is a market for a company like this! :D

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Orval

Has anybody out there tried Orval?

I tried really hard to like it, but I just didn't happen. Perhaps I'm too simple to enjoy its "complexity", but I thought it was like somebody tried to cover up cat wizz with perfume. Not that I've tried cat wizz or perfume!:eek:

A

Anonymous

Bag_O_Wallet said:
Has anybody out there tried Orval?

I tried really hard to like it, but I just didn't happen. Perhaps I'm too simple to enjoy its "complexity", but I thought it was like somebody tried to cover up cat wizz with perfume. Not that I've tried cat wizz or perfume!:eek:

Oval is one of the Trappist beers brewed by Trappist Monks. There are only seven Trappist monasteries that brew beer. While not my favorite Trappist beer I do like it. Part of the deal with Belgian beer is serving it at the correct temperature. Too cold changes many of the beer's characteristics. Never drink it from the bottle and try not to pour the entire bottle in the glass you will drink it from. Many of the bottle fermented beers have yeast collected in the bottom of the bottle. Some like the tart flavor of the yeast, but I don't care for it.

Try your next Orval at about 55 degrees (F), don't pour the entire bottle your glass and see if that makes a difference.

Reactions: sevenall
Scott SoCal said:
Oval is one of the Trappist beers brewed by Trappist Monks. There are only seven Trappist monasteries that brew beer. While not my favorite Trappist beer I do like it. Part of the deal with Belgian beer is serving it at the correct temperature. Too cold changes many of the beer's characteristics. Never drink it from the bottle and try not to pour the entire bottle in the glass you will drink it from. Many of the bottle fermented beers have yeast collected in the bottom of the bottle. Some like the tart flavor of the yeast, but I don't care for it.

Try your next Orval at about 55 degrees (F), don't pour the entire bottle your glass and see if that makes a difference.

scott you are the beer guy on the forum! make that BEER GUY!!!:D

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
YES.............NOW THIS IS A GOOD THREAD.........

whomever said ROCHEFORT , bless you

but dont forget DELIRIUM , DUVEL , and yes a nice CHIMAY
sorry guys def a snob , the belgiums do it the best

but i do love guiness , its great
1 for the germans PIKANTUS , dunkel

and a little love for home , ESTRELLA DAMN , oscura....:D

TRENDING THREADS