• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What can Sagan achieve in RIO in MTB race?

What can Sagan achieve in OG MTB race?

• He should race the OG RR

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • DNF

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • TOP 20

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • TOP 10

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • TOP 5

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • podium

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • winner

Votes: 11 13.6%

• Total voters
I know this thread should be in MTB section, but I am interested in your opinion, whether his decision to switch the RR for MTB race was correct and whether there is any chance that road race rider can be successful in such a race.

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I do not believe he could finish anywhere near podium, as he will have to start from far behind (unlike a road race it does make a huge difference if you start in first row or in last row) ...

I believe he's not there for the result primarily, but rather for the fun - now you may either say he's bringing along something of the initial Olympic Spirt, or he's not taking Olympic Games too seriously (and he has my respect for both ...) ....

KGB

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Big PR for Specialized.Deal with Specialized and his new contract with Bora.Because of his MTB switch just only for OG he could get better contract in Bora.It is all about money and marketing .

Re:

loge1884 said:
I do not believe he could finish anywhere near podium, as he will have to start from far behind (unlike a road race it does make a huge difference if you start in first row or in last row) ...

I believe he's not there for the result primarily, but rather for the fun - now you may either say he's bringing along something of the initial Olympic Spirt, or he's not taking Olympic Games too seriously (and he has my respect for both ...) ....
Not a big deal. There's just 50 riders on the start, with relatively wide starting lane - he can gain 15 places easily before the first turn.

I saw him in April in his 2 MTB races and I guarantee you he will start off like crazy. He will be in Top 5 after 2 laps, but then probably fade away.

Top 10 will be a hell of an achievement. Win is out or the question: Schurter is so much better in the technical sections than Sagan. As well as being as fit, but much more suited to these races. In the Cannondale video 3 years ago he seemed to keep up with Fontana but that was for show. Top 20 more likely.

As someone who has absolutely 0 knowledge of MTB racing, can anyone who watches a lot of that sport say what he exactly thinks about this topic. Is a medal realistically possible? Is this a sport where sometimes an outsider wins or where the pure strength is what counts?

Gigs_98 said:
As someone who has absolutely 0 knowledge of MTB racing, can anyone who watches a lot of that sport say what he exactly thinks about this topic. Is a medal realistically possible? Is this a sport where sometimes an outsider wins or where the pure strength is what counts?

World Cup XCO races have been dominated by 3 men - it's been over 3 years since anyone other than Schurter, Absalon or Kulhavy have won a race - and that was a muddy race where both Schurter and Absalon had mechanicals that dropped them out of the running. IMO, Sagan has a remote chance at a medal and virtually zero chance at gold. I'm still really interested to watch him race and will be pulling for him to at least have an impact. It is a strange course though, with largely man-made features.

The best mountain bikers in the world have been targeting this race all year - and they're pretty good.

By the way, if you're interested in seeing what Sagan is up against, World Cup XCO races can be streamed for free on Red Bull TV in at least some countries, and they're available on demand for a while after the race. It's pretty phenomenal watching how hard these guys charge right off the start and then just keep hammering lap after lap. I'm sure that their fitness doesn't match the top road riders but the repeated efforts up the climbs require a different skillset, which Sagan hasn't focused on of late like these guys have.

Re:

Brullnux said:
Top 10 will be a hell of an achievement. Win is out or the question: Schurter is so much better in the technical sections than Sagan. As well as being as fit, but much more suited to these races. In the Cannondale video 3 years ago he seemed to keep up with Fontana but that was for show. Top 20 more likely.

Pretty much this. Laughable that people think that Sagan will medal. If he does medal, it sure as hell won't be because he was one of the strongest three

I think it should be very obvious that Sagan won't come close to winning, and it's not just that he has to start somewhere from the back. I do wonder how different the skillsets are compared to road racing. There's a few well known riders that had an MTB background, and even they're pretty different.

Re:

Red Rick said:
I think it should be very obvious that Sagan won't come close to winning, and it's not just that he has to start somewhere from the back. I do wonder how different the skillsets are compared to road racing. There's a few well known riders that had an MTB background, and even they're pretty different.

Sagan himself was a successful youth MTB'er before switching to road. Alongside X that's where he got most of his bike handling skills. But no way to know where he stands now.

KGB

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

SKSemtex said:
46&twoWheels said:
hopefully not a broken bone

this.

He is lucky ba....d that Tinkoff is folding :D . No way any other team owner or DS would have allowed him to race.

Podium or last one. it does not matter. Lets hope he will be without any injury after the race. Spring 2017 should be his one.
Of course any DS will allowed him to race if Specialized wants him there(They will pay some part of his wage.50% ?).

KGB said:
SKSemtex said:
46&twoWheels said:

this.

He is lucky ba....d that Tinkoff is folding :D . No way any other team owner or DS would have allowed him to race.

Podium or last one. it does not matter. Lets hope he will be without any injury after the race. Spring 2017 should be his one.
Of course any DS will allowed him to race if Specialized wants him there(They will pay some part of his wage.50% ?).

He is risking serious injury there. Whole season can be in danger. It's not gonna be Champ Elysees sunday ride for him.
But probably you are right. Who knows?

SKSemtex said:
KGB said:
SKSemtex said:
46&twoWheels said:

this.

He is risking serious injury there. Wole season can be in danger. It's not gonna be Champ Elysees sunday ride for him.
But probably you are right. Who knows?

Really? If you were talking about a guy like Soler, that would have been true but I am pretty sure that he would be able to finish the race.

TRENDING THREADS