• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What can Sagan achieve in RIO in MTB race?

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What can Sagan achieve in OG MTB race?

• He should race the OG RR

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • DNF

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • TOP 20

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • TOP 10

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • TOP 5

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • podium

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • winner

Votes: 11 13.6%

• Total voters
Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
El Pistolero said:
It once again proves that road cycling is the queen of cycling though.
Disagree, many make have gone from being successful on mtb to successful on road than vice versa. And mtb is much, much more fun. If this had been a technical course then you would've seen how good these riders are.

+, the average speed is like double the regular events.

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Yep agree 100% SK, I see you are Sagan fan, but this is slaughter totally. He distance the former OG champ like is amateur.

Whoever says Sagan is 3x the athlete, should check themselves before they wreck themself.

(I like Sagan, cause he attacks, but stay on the road)

Hugo Koblet said:
MacBAir said:
Hugo Koblet said:
MacBAir said:
Hugo Koblet said:
I saw Sagan riding with the best for 1/6 of the race until he punctured, which doesn't tell us much. It might be the case that he could have followed the best, but most likely he wouldn't have been able to. All we know is that he was impressive in the beginning (which was predicted) but then punctured (which could be because of bad luck or lack of skills).

Besides, Sagan is dropped from his group now and bleeding time.
Who were the others that went from the last few positions to the front group? Not one of them. Only Sagan.
You also don't know why he is losing time.

Stop acting like it isn't well known that he is 3x the athlete of any guy here. If he is losing time without any more mechanicals, it's due to lack of necessary skills, not stamina and power.
No, I don't know why he's losing time now (probably because of a crash or another puncture - do you start seing a pattern here?), but look at his times:

He wen't from:
+0:03
to:
+1:56
which obviously was because of the puncture, but look what happened afterwards and uptil his latest time loss:
+2:12
+2:44
+2:49
which shows that he was slowly bleeding time anyway.

Also from the pictures, it's pretty clear that he doesn't have the skills like the other riders. I don't know what you mean by "If he is losing time without any more mechanicals, it's due to lack of necessary skills, not stamina and power" as the skills are obviously as important as stamina and power.
What I'm saying is that trying to surpass riders, riding alongside lots of riders will expose his lack of skills much more than if he was at the front, where he had the space to make up for it in power, as you could see.
You're right about that, but he was at the front after 2 minutes.

I agree with HK. Sagan is no ordinary road cyclist. He is probably the only one who could have done well in this race. Could Rosa or Fuglsang have done a good race? I don't think so. And they have past mtb experience. Think about how ridiculous it would be to see Froome or Porte race here. Or Kruiswijk or van Garderen. Or Kristoff or etc etc.

ciranda said:
I agree with HK. Sagan is no ordinary road cyclist. He is probably the only one who could have done well in this race. Could Rosa or Fuglsang have done a good race? I don't think so. And they have past mtb experience. Think about how ridiculous it would be to see Froome or Porte race here. Or Kruiswijk or van Garderen. Or Kristoff or etc etc.
Stybar perhaps could have done OK with a bit of prep? It would have to be someone really punchy to make up for the technical deficiencies though.

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

Also from the pictures, it's pretty clear that he doesn't have the skills like the other riders. I don't know what you mean by "If he is losing time without any more mechanicals, it's due to lack of necessary skills, not stamina and power" as the skills are obviously as important as stamina and power.[/quote]
What I'm saying is that trying to surpass riders, riding alongside lots of riders will expose his lack of skills much more than if he was at the front, where he had the space to make up for it in power, as you could see.[/quote]
You're right about that, but he was at the front after 2 minutes.[/quote]

I agree with HK. Sagan is no ordinary road cyclist. He is probably the only one who could have done well in this race. Could Rosa or Fuglsang have done a good race? I don't think so. And they have past mtb experience. Think about how ridiculous it would be to see Froome or Porte race here. Or Kruiswijk or van Garderen. Or Kristoff or etc etc.[/quote]
?

Froome came from MTB too you know, not any results as such - but it's always strange to me he was judged like bad bike handler. Porte, Kruis, Garden, Kristoff would be fun to see. Shouldn't there be a "greatest bike racer" race, like they have in motorsports (Can't remember the name, but they compete F1, Rally, RX drivers. Think poor Schumacher won a couple, Mäkinen some and so on..)

Then, finally we could speak about "the complete cyclist"

Edit: There is something very wrong about the forums mechanics here (quoting, polls and so on), isn't it a pretty big site Cyclingnews? Shouldn't they get something back from money they pay for the running of the forum?
Like, it should work?

Thepirateisgood said:
?

Froome came from MTB too you know, not any results as such - but it's always strange to me he was judged like bad bike handler. Porte, Kruis, Garden, Kristoff would be fun to see. Shouldn't there be a "greatest bike racer" race, like they have in motorsports (Can't remember the name, but they compete F1, Rally, RX drivers. Think poor Schumacher won a couple, Mäkinen some and so on..)

Then, finally we could speak about "the complete cyclist"
Isn't that what cyclocross is? Basically a hybrid of road and mtb.

DFA123 said:
ciranda said:
Stybar perhaps could have done OK with a bit of prep? It would have to be someone really punchy to make up for the technical deficiencies though.
He's never done MTB though

Re:

Thepirateisgood said:
Yep agree 100% SK, I see you are Sagan fan, but this is slaughter totally. He distance the former OG champ like is amateur.

Whoever says Sagan is 3x the athlete, should check themselves before they wreck themself.

(I like Sagan, cause he attacks, but stay on the road)
I am afraid he won't stay in road very long. He will go back to MTB. After this contract he will be rich enough to do that.
From his interwiews I have a feeling that road race is far from his main interest.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Brullnux said:
El Pistolero said:
It once again proves that road cycling is the queen of cycling though.
Disagree, many make have gone from being successful on mtb to successful on road than vice versa. And mtb is much, much more fun. If this had been a technical course then you would've seen how good these riders are.

That's because the real prestige lies on the road. Why would a successful road cyclist go to mountain-bike all of a sudden? It wouldn't make much sense. There's more money and prestige to be earned on the road.

I wish mountain-bike was more popular though, especially in Belgium. In the land of cycling no one actually cares about mountain-biking or track cycling here.

TRENDING THREADS