• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What coffee ya' drinking?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
biokemguy said:
I like to make espresso mostly. I use a Rancilio Silvia, which I'm excited about upgrading with a PID temperature controller soon.

Apparently Handsome roasters in LA is really good too, but I haven't been able to try them yet. They're run by an ex-intelligentsia guy I think.

Probably my favorite (partly because it's run by a friend) is Ozo Coffee in Boulder, Co
I'm drinking their espresso 2012 this week.

Silvia (Roncilio) is the other women in my life, too. I didn't know about the PID temp controller...now you've got me interested. What does it do?
Good to hear about a possible source in LA...I'll check it out on my next road trip.
Also, I'll check out Ozo, too. Really, in my travels I have been wowed by some higher altitude roasters and am wondering if they've got some advantage.

craig1985 said:
I sometimes make coffee at home and quite frankly it tastes like cat piss (a slight exaggeration as I actually don't know what cat piss tastes like :D). There's a local company called Merlo and they are quite good:

WEBIMG_8141.gif
+1 on the Merlo, they are a local Brisbane company and have good value beans. I used to work across the road from their warehouse. It was great, good cheap beans in bulk for home :D

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Quixote said:
Silvia (Roncilio) is the other women in my life, too. I didn't know about the PID temp controller...now you've got me interested. What does it do?

The PID is supposed to make the temp range on the silvia much more narrow.
The stock thermostat has something like a 40ºF range before it turns on. The PID keeps the machine much closer to optimal brew temp and you can set the temp yourself. I haven't got mine installed yet, so I'll have to update you when I have hands on experience.

On topic comment:
I'm drinking coffee Klatch "Worlds Best Espresso" this week. It's got a nice balance of fruit/berry flavor and a chocolate finish.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
JC Espresso this week

I'm drinking Jones JC espresso this week. If you go into the shop that's what they usually serve.

Tasty stuff, and with my PID, I can extract it at the barista recommended temp of 196ºF. :)

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
42x16ss said:
+1 on the Merlo, they are a local Brisbane company and have good value beans. I used to work across the road from their warehouse. It was great, good cheap beans in bulk for home :D

+2. Merlo is the best coffee in Brisbane by far!

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
There's a few I like, depending on where I am.

Ethical Bean makes a good dark roast that's organic fair trade. I also like Kicking Horse if it's around.

When we visit Hawaii we'll pick up some Kona from one of the local companies (Kona Blue Sky, Mountain Thunder). Not the cheap Kona blends, but the 100% stuff - super smooth. They have a terrific peaberry as well.

Peet's french roast for me. I grew up near the original Peet's on Vine St. in Berkeley. BTW this is where is where the guy who started Starbuck's got his start in coffee. Thus never understood when people claim that Seattle is the center of all things coffee??? Peet's is a popular place for local cyclists for a quick pick-me-up, either before or after a ride.