• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What did "Actovigen" write on VN.com?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
geek update

It looks like the application that gives velonews their comments feature on stories started using different code at some recent point in time. The consequence being I can't pull 'deleted' comments from this particular story or several days prior.

I found another way to get the comments directly out of the application, but for me, it crosses an ethical line. It's the metaphoric equivalent of an unlocked front door that is left wide open with a sign outside that says "free stuff! C'mon in and get it." and I won't go in.

A reasonable assumption based on Actovigen's 'deleted' comments I could pull going back some time probably exposed Mr. McQuaid's anti-doping rhetoric for exactly what it is. Everyone following along that is slightly in touch with reality knows the UCI is part of the problem.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
TubularBills said:
+1

Excellent post by RR!

& while perusing the supporting links:

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/news....amilton_appeal

"The report concludes that Tyler Hamilton did use someone else's blood to win the September 11 time trial in the 2004 Vuelta a España. And there is still an open case in front of the CAS, initiated by Viatcheslav Ekimov and the Russian Cycling Federation, that he used foreign blood to win the Olympic time trial in Athens.

October 20, 2004: Viatcheslav Ekimov and the Russian Cycling Federation appeals to CAS over the Athens gold medal."

And Closed here:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hamilton-to-keep-olympic-time-trial-gold-medal

In hindsight, pretty brazen of the Russians to appeal, considering that Eki was a favored lieutenant during the majority of the Blue Train 'high cadence years' and post Landis revelations.

And, considering that the Eastern Block has historically been at the forefront of sports 'coaching,' perhaps the alternate 'Spice' Route...

Thanks to RR for raising the bar of posts and for successfully pressing the buttons to reactivate Actovigen, did you invite him/her to the Clinic?

Rather brazen of Eki to appeal, eh? I guess that means Tyler was probably on the L.A. blacklist. For what? Well he did accept a contract with a competing team. Lance probably wanted to keep all of the squad within his sight and control. No wonder that leaving USPS was tantamount to treason.

Actovigen has Vanished from VN!

In an interesting turn of events, ALL Actovigen comments are no longer rendered when a page is created. Actovigen has vanished in 24 hours!
Example: http://velonews.competitor.com/2010...ack-cries-foul-over-lombardy-exclusion_139646 No Actovigen comment when you use that link.

However, there was a comment from Actovigen on the page prior to yesterday that said "Actovigen
For the last decade Johan and Lance have got in childish feuds with riders, race organizers, journalists,...pretty much everyone in the sport. It is good to see some are finally calling them on their games and telling them not to bother showing up. "

Example #2: http://velonews.competitor.com/2010...evidence-and-shifting-burdens-of-proof_147891

Actovigen's comment: "Another great job by Pelkey. One of the best writers Velonews has"

To be fair to VeloNews, this may be a feature of the comment application when moderating a user. I don't know enough about disqus (the commenting application) to know one way or another.

The other side of the argument is their consistent treatment of Actovigen's posts (deletion when providing critical, not inflammatory facts) and consistently Omerta-friendly interpretation of doping events including the beauty pageant interview with McQuaid strongly suggest darker motives. On Disqus's side, it is as easy as running a simple SQL query to make Actovigen and comments disappear before a date/time of VeloNew's choosing. This is an elegant explanation as to why Actovigen comments have vanished.

Unfortunately for VeloNews, they don't understand how these applications work. It's like deleting files on your computer. It's not really gone. It sure seems like it. But it's not.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
webvan said:
Fascinating topic, so to sum it up, Actovegin=RaceRadio?
I'm not totally clear on who VN was interviewing looking at the suggested questions, McQuaid it seems though?

Yes. John Wilcockson interviewed McQuaid and totally dropped the ball on asking any good questions. The comments section quickly rebelled and called them out on the whitewashing. Actovigen posted a really good set of possible questions he should have asked, and VN just literally eliminated him. Fantastic evidence of their spinelessness.

BotanyBay said:
Yes. John Wilcockson interviewed McQuaid and totally dropped the ball on asking any good questions. The comments section quickly rebelled and called them out on the whitewashing. Actovigen posted a really good set of possible questions he should have asked, and VN just literally eliminated him. Fantastic evidence of their spinelessness.

Velonews is garbage. I canceled my subscription to them. I'll keep their back issues in case I run out of toilet paper.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
In an interesting turn of events, ALL Actovigen comments are no longer rendered when a page is created. Actovigen has vanished in 24 hours!
Example: http://velonews.competitor.com/2010...ack-cries-foul-over-lombardy-exclusion_139646 No Actovigen comment when you use that link.

However, there was a comment from Actovigen on the page prior to yesterday that said "Actovigen
For the last decade Johan and Lance have got in childish feuds with riders, race organizers, journalists,...pretty much everyone in the sport. It is good to see some are finally calling them on their games and telling them not to bother showing up. "

Example #2: http://velonews.competitor.com/2010...evidence-and-shifting-burdens-of-proof_147891

Actovigen's comment: "Another great job by Pelkey. One of the best writers Velonews has"

To be fair to VeloNews, this may be a feature of the comment application when moderating a user. I don't know enough about disqus (the commenting application) to know one way or another.

The other side of the argument is their consistent treatment of Actovigen's posts (deletion when providing critical, not inflammatory facts) and consistently Omerta-friendly interpretation of doping events including the beauty pageant interview with McQuaid strongly suggest darker motives. On Disqus's side, it is as easy as running a simple SQL query to make Actovigen and comments disappear before a date/time of VeloNew's choosing. This is an elegant explanation as to why Actovigen comments have vanished.

Unfortunately for VeloNews, they don't understand how these applications work. It's like deleting files on your computer. It's not really gone. It sure seems like it. But it's not.

Nice IT work, thanks. As to the bolded - I'm sure that's something riders have been looking for, and hoping for, for a long time. Rapidly vanishing drugs....

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Berzin said:
I'm a regular poster on the velonews forum, and I've been saying for years how doped to the gills masters' racing is.

The prevailing wisdom was that master's races were so competitive because these guys were uber-dedicated athletes with disposable income to buy the best gear, follow the best diets and hire the best trainers.

I argued that even given all this, it is physiologically impossible for aging athletes to experience such a renaissance in their late 30s to early 40s.

It doesn't happen in any other sport but in cycling.

Then the master's racers started getting busted and all of a sudden there was a bit of a paradigm shift in opinion.

This is why the Armstrong myth is so strong in the US. Lance is one of the few athletes this demographic has that makes them believe they too can achieve stunning athletic feats if they just work hard enough. The cheating via PED use is seen, among these master's racers, not as cheating but as utilizing products that allow their natural athletic prowess to develop in the manner in which nature intended if it weren't for the fact that natural hormone levels decrease as we age. This is the myth sold to them by anti-aging clinics, that the aging process isn't part of the natural life cycle.

Go figure that one out of you can.

Back on this train, yet again...

Masters suck. Why? Because they are trying to live out an adolescent dream that CAN NEVER HAPPEN for them.

They want to be fast, they want to be 'real men' in the peloton, and yet they're stuck in a half-*ssed body that never could cut it to begin with.

They have resources. Sh*t, they spent their youth persuing money rather than physical excellence. But now they have the money, and the line to drugs (if they want them).

Masters suck because they could be doing more for the sport than they are.

They don't love cycling. They love what they are in cycling. For me, that's pathetic.

As I've said before, you stupid old f*ckers have missed your chance. Keep cranking all you want, but you'll still be sad losers in the books of those who know cycling.

You are sad cases.

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
they spent their youth persuing money rather than physical excellence.
5225068326_4bce60d65e.jpg

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Gaear Grimsrud said:

Right on!

As long as those in your life believe being 'fiscally buff' is worthwhile. And that they're comfortable with you being a lying rat b*stard.

My family? Not so accepting. Hence my entrenched rage and bitterness...

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:

Two points - just to be fair of VN (which I don't visit unless an article is linked through here).

Firstly - it just a little early to draw your dagger at JW or VN as it is only yet Part I ....... however I don't expect a dramatic difference in further installments so keep on sharpening it ;)

Secondly - as I am sure you know, the UCI only agree to give interviews with certain publications once they know (& even choose) the journalist.

This is why 'we' never got the full story behind the receipts for the blood machine earlier this year.

JMBeaushrimp said:
Back on this train, yet again...

Masters suck. Why? Because they are trying to live out an adolescent dream that CAN NEVER HAPPEN for them.

They want to be fast, they want to be 'real men' in the peloton, and yet they're stuck in a half-*ssed body that never could cut it to begin with.

They have resources. Sh*t, they spent their youth persuing money rather than physical excellence. But now they have the money, and the line to drugs (if they want them).

Masters suck because they could be doing more for the sport than they are.

They don't love cycling. They love what they are in cycling. For me, that's pathetic.

As I've said before, you stupid old f*ckers have missed your chance. Keep cranking all you want, but you'll still be sad losers in the books of those who know cycling.

You are sad cases.

riding and racing bikes is cool at ANY age.

doping is uncool at ANY age.

that's about all I'll say when speaking in absolutes as one should be extremely careful when doing so.

lean said:

that's about all I'll say when speaking in absolutes as one should be extremely careful when doing so.

Bit of a rant from the 'shrimp.

Tell you what. Being Masters age, with a Cat 2 license w/out doping and whipping children 1/3-1/2 your age that are probably on the program... priceless.

Always make sure to take off the helmet and let the silver shine, baby.

Otherwise, just knowing that you can still hang in there is plenty good satisfaction. When you get here, you will understand.

Dopers, at any age, suck. Doping Masters? Just like JMB says... everywhere.

Dave.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Ripper said:
I take it from your post you think all masters racers suck. Correct?

There's little reason to have age-based racing when we already have ability-based racing available to us.

You should try taking-up short track speed skating. You know how a 35 year-old starts racing? With the 12 year-olds who've been doing it for 4 years already. And they'll kick your **** in the turns every time.

BotanyBay said:
There's little reason to have age-based racing when we already have ability-based racing available to us.

You should try taking-up short track speed skating. You know how a 35 year-old starts racing? With the 12 year-olds who've been doing it for 4 years already. And they'll kick your **** in the turns every time.

I don't knowhow it is where you are, but out here the revenue from masters entry fees is what funds every day of racing. Take it away and there wouldn't be any Junior or Womens racing or prize money for the Pro Cat.1s.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
lean said:

Fine that you race. So just race your category. That's what its there for. You can compare penis sizes with your older buddies after the race while you compare your respective placings.

What are you afraid of? Not standing on a podium anymore? Try self-downgrading your category. Then again, many masters egos could not survive giving-up their coveted Cat 1 and 2 designations.

Having masters categories make about as much sense as having Cat 4 events at your local state crit championships. There should be no such thing as a Cat-4 state champion. Just a "Men's state champion". Likewise, there shouldn't be Masters World champs, national champs, etc.

As Robert DeNiro once said in a film "I didn't know they made ribbons for 9th place, Focker"

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
I don't knowhow it is where you are, but out here the revenue from masters entry fees is what funds every day of racing. Take it away and there wouldn't be any Junior or Womens racing or prize money for the Pro Cat.1s.

It's the same everywhere. So what you're telling me is that rather than race with younger guys in a lower racing category, masters racers would choose to not race at all? From what I've seen and experienced, many of the masters events are speed-competitive with the 1-5 racing categories, so what exactly do they fear?

Or is it that you want them to be able to race multiple events? How about "putting their all" into the one race they do ride, or perhaps we can return to the era of races that are longer than 30 minutes (plus one lap)?

Myself, I don't even want to bother training all year to ride criteriums that are just 15 miles long (at best). They've shortened the events over the years to accommodate the ridiculous number of masters categories. Even more ridiculous is that a 48 year-old masters racer will enter his 45+, 40+ and 35+ events, and do three 10-mile criteriums back-to-back. How about a REALLY GOOD 25-30 mile event? The current evolution is stupid and caters to the idiotic whims of masters racers. So yes, if you're entering 3 criteriums in a single day, yes, you suck.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:

So I take it that you are in favor of eliminating the Junior and U23 races as well? What about races for women?

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
acoggan said:
So I take it that you are in favor of eliminating the Junior and U23 races as well? What about races for women?

Man, that's a different issue entirely. As far as juniors go, I'm biased. I come from a time when it was not uncommon to have 80-100 riders in the field. No need to continue the decades-long debate from Rec.b.r. I left Kunich & co. for a reason.

TRENDING THREADS