• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What do you call teams in your head

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Does anyone think of Ag2R, FdJ in the letter names of French rather than of their native tongue (or that they are likely to use Italian numerals for Q36.5)?

I'll assume that no-one thinks of UAE in the Arabic name (if there is one) of the Latin alphabet letters.

I tend to think of Ag2R as A2R : I suspect that I will mentally abridge Q36.5 to Q3

Last edited:
Only rarely do I have a special name in my head.
Sometimes it is about the sponsor name, other times based on how they look.
My color vision is poor with red and green, a team could be bright pink, and it is just gray easy to overlook.
I like jersey's I can pick out, patterns being the best if they are scaled up. The Big M is great but I don't think of them as The Big M

Past and present listed below

Movie Star
Be Bop, a lu she bop
(from their name just for that one those two seasons with that one sponsor, good luck guessing it)
Leaky Gas
Orange
Light Blue
Dark Blue
Shoulder X

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: noob
Only rarely do I have a special name in my head.
Sometimes it is about the sponsor name, other times based on how they look.
My color vision is poor with red and green, a team could be bright pink, and it is just gray easy to overlook.
I like jersey's I can pick out, patterns being the best if they are scaled up. The Big M is great but I don't think of them as The Big M

Past and present listed below

Movie Star
Be Bop, a lu she bop
(from their namejust that one season with that one sponsor, good luck guessing it)
Leaky Gas
Orange
Light Blue
Dark Blue
Shoulder X

Bbox Bouygues Telecom?

First name only, not very historical since noob.
Just some variations like
Ag2r = Citroën
Quickstep oftentimes QS.
DSM = BDSM (because the boss seriously sounded like he wants 24/7 kinda style)

And then it's just some internal "sounds";
With UAE it's usually no name but some internal remark of hate/disgust like angry growling or pouting.
(2021 QS also came with swooning so no need for a name there either. Because wolves)

• Haha
Reactions: magliaroz
I mostly adapt quickly to changes of team names. But FDJ is still FDJ, QS is still QS, Wanty is still Wanty, and Bardiani is Bardiani since they stopped being Colnago, because I never care about the "other name" as long as the old name is still there, even when they change order.

One WT team whose name I never care to remember is that Australian team, I just think they always have weaker name than others, and than being "an increasingly international team from Australia", that's what they always are to me. Vaughters' team is also just Vaughters' American team to me. Other team with a rather weak branding to me is the former Shimano team, maybe it's more to do with identity strength, I'm never sure what that team is about since they stopped having at least 3 competitive sprinters in the squad, so I don't care what they're called.