What do you think about on the bike?

What do you think about on a solo ride?

• Total voters
Getting out on a bike is largely a solitary exercise, though we might sometimes take part in a group ride; it is usually a fairly extended chunk of time (scarcely worth changing for less than 1 hr ride, for some of us a spin can be several hours); and most of us probably have access to reasonable peaceful routes on which to take a ride. It is not, however, a particularly cerebral activity. So what is going on in your brain while your legs are whirring round?

Any real eureka moments while pedalling?
Is grinding up a hill the time to make an important life decision?
And music on a ride: yes or no?

Reactions: jmdirt
Depends on the ride, but to expand on the first option: I like exploring roads I've never been on before navigating by feel alone (and then reconstructing the route on a map when I get home). I never listen to music or radio etc. on a ride, I want to either focus my attention towards traffic, myself or nature.

That’s a good question. Most of my cycling ins now in city/suburbs rather than out in the countryside, so yeah, a lot of brain activity is just focusing on obstacles/traffic. Focusing on that stuff and what my body is experiencing is a break from all the mental energy I spend at work. Once I’m out for more than 20 minutes, then I’m “thinking” more, generally about one of the following:

-Why the h&ll did they design the bike lane/path/intersection this way and listen, you imaginary city DOT engineer, here’s why your clueless about what cyclists need.

-Mental blips: what are those leaves . . . that car, wonder if the seats are comfortable . . . Blue flowers! . . . Male gaze on/off . . . That guy’s saddle is too high/low . . .what’s tomorrow’s stage profile —worth getting up early to watch? . . . huskie . . . HILL . . . omg how can my power-to-weight ratio have gone from so-so to minus 37 in just the past x years? . . . Ack, gasp, f$&k I’m going to have to redo my gearing again!

In my current life, my daily ride is a way to let my brain escape. Sometimes that includes ironing out the day's sh*t, or thinking about tomorrow's meeting, but mostly its just about enjoying the dirt. Obviously ripping down hills requires some attention, but I will frequently be "oh, wow, how'd I get here already' on a climb. I've even ended up on a loop that I did not intend to ride.

No music! Part of the joy for me, even back when I was training, is the wind in my ears, the sound of my tires, the sound of birds and bugs and animals...

Reactions: Cookster15

ASK THE COMMUNITY