• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What do you think about on the bike?

What do you think about on a solo ride?

• Total voters
Getting out on a bike is largely a solitary exercise, though we might sometimes take part in a group ride; it is usually a fairly extended chunk of time (scarcely worth changing for less than 1 hr ride, for some of us a spin can be several hours); and most of us probably have access to reasonable peaceful routes on which to take a ride. It is not, however, a particularly cerebral activity. So what is going on in your brain while your legs are whirring round?

Any real eureka moments while pedalling?
Is grinding up a hill the time to make an important life decision?
And music on a ride: yes or no?

Reactions: Nick2413 and jmdirt
That’s a good question. Most of my cycling ins now in city/suburbs rather than out in the countryside, so yeah, a lot of brain activity is just focusing on obstacles/traffic. Focusing on that stuff and what my body is experiencing is a break from all the mental energy I spend at work. Once I’m out for more than 20 minutes, then I’m “thinking” more, generally about one of the following:

-Why the h&ll did they design the bike lane/path/intersection this way and listen, you imaginary city DOT engineer, here’s why your clueless about what cyclists need.

-Mental blips: what are those leaves . . . that car, wonder if the seats are comfortable . . . Blue flowers! . . . Male gaze on/off . . . That guy’s saddle is too high/low . . .what’s tomorrow’s stage profile —worth getting up early to watch? . . . huskie . . . HILL . . . omg how can my power-to-weight ratio have gone from so-so to minus 37 in just the past x years? . . . Ack, gasp, f$&k I’m going to have to redo my gearing again!

Reactions: jmdirt
In my current life, my daily ride is a way to let my brain escape. Sometimes that includes ironing out the day's sh*t, or thinking about tomorrow's meeting, but mostly its just about enjoying the dirt. Obviously ripping down hills requires some attention, but I will frequently be "oh, wow, how'd I get here already' on a climb. I've even ended up on a loop that I did not intend to ride.

No music! Part of the joy for me, even back when I was training, is the wind in my ears, the sound of my tires, the sound of birds and bugs and animals...

I have to add recurring worries about my seat position, weird knee pains, why does my back hurt etc. Should I place the saddle a bit higher and maybe forward again? Or further back?
And hearing strange sounds from the bike itself that should not be there. And wondering if it's already time now for a new chain. But it was only April I changed it last. Or was it March? Or maybe even buy a new chain ring and cassette? Wouldn't I be able to go faster and more smooth? But they are not really worn out, but still? Oh, the joys of being a DIY bike mechanic.

As I almost always ride on my own, I usually stay in my own head because I ride on routes that I have memorized.

Often, a specific song is stuck in my head and I spent most of the ride pondering about a particular section of the song's lyricism.

I also like to think of bad word puns that I can later annoy friends or colleagues with.

Social group rides are completely different though.

• Haha
On longer rides I’m thinking of my next junk food stop which is always a highlight of any 100k+ ride. Other than that it’s a mix of random internal thoughts and sometimes getting into a zen like state at higher efforts. If I listen to anything it’s actually audiobooks for the first 2/3 of the ride then music toward the end, lower volume and more focused on the road etc.

I think the same thing every time I do anything physically strenuous..
" man,somebody needs to do something about how f-cking fat I am ".
I also look at my bike constantly for what feels like a sudden loss of tire pressure..broken glass embedded from Fizik, seized wheel and bottom bracket bearings..
I often look behind me to see if a bag of cement or a fat dead animal is dragging behind my bike..

Depending on the context, all of the above.
I can't ride anymore and cast a forlorn look to riders who pass by, but some of my most memorable/enjoyable/ and not so enjoyable experiences took place on the bike.
Like I used to say to anyone who asked how was my ride, the response was the same: It is always great up to and until I get hit by a car.

today trying to get my head around surprising developments in novel i'm reading..heat stroke
..hazel barkworth
thinking of my poor friend howard who's pinarello was stolen this week
that wind is chewy...will i make it through that red light?...........yay!
wow! i'm sticking to rules of road...only 1 small transgression through red light at ped crossing
how cool is the BIG bronze watch/buckle i'm wearing?
oh look that tiny spaniel pup has really grown
nearing home i wave to dog walking friends..spotting lovely neighbour i call over 'lordy lordy
who's looking beautiful tonight?...i have little shame but won't type what i thought next...

Mark L

today trying to get my head around surprising developments in novel i'm reading..heat stroke
..hazel barkworth
thinking of my poor friend howard who's pinarello was stolen this week
that wind is chewy...will i make it through that red light?...........yay!
wow! i'm sticking to rules of road...only 1 small transgression through red light at ped crossing
how cool is the BIG bronze watch/buckle i'm wearing?
oh look that tiny spaniel pup has really grown
nearing home i wave to dog walking friends..spotting lovely neighbour i call over 'lordy lordy
who's looking beautiful tonight?...i have little shame but won't type what i thought next...

Mark L

Wait a sec. I thought you avoided people like the plague.
If so, yours is a testament to the psychological benefits that comes with riding your bike. You go from recluse to thinking about people and adding compliments as you ride by.
Keep on keeping the rubber side down and head to your nearest pharmacy or doctor to ask about the benefits of you know what. (Sorry for what might seem like someone piling on, that's not my intention. But yeah...)

bandit by name bandit by.....never fully trust! like riding my bike ...what's a quick dash
through a red light? i'm always out and about...at a distance...chatting walking my dog etc

wish i might bump into ALL here out on their bikes incl delgados

Mark L

ps and this was the cool watch i was wearing...not one for the climbers all up it weighs in
at approx 300gm /10.5 oz....i see cav ala pg etc wearing luxury richard mille..mine is no
luxury watch..a big beast!

Thank you for including me on your wish list of people you'd like to bump into, bandit.
That's very kind of you to say.
Aside from me encouraging you in a polite way to get vacc'd, I guess our little encounter would include me congratulating you on your new job shilling for the watch and belt people.
I hope it pays well.
p.s. I can't help but get the feeling that the belt is giving me the middle finger.

riding i'm wearing casual gear cheap trainers/flat pedals....no power meter/head unit/timer etc
i'm calm as....listening to the voice of buddha

i try not to react but i can't help defending my position on the road often i'm flashing 2/mid finger at motorists......LOL! i should know better i've come so close to fighting in the middle
of the road

Mark L

Thank you for including me on your wish list of people you'd like to bump into, bandit.
That's very kind of you to say.
Aside from me encouraging you in a polite way to get vacc'd, I guess our little encounter would include me congratulating you on your new job shilling for the watch and belt people.
I hope it pays well.
p.s. I can't help but get the feeling that the belt is giving me the middle finger.
Isn't that the buckle of the watch giving you the middle finger?

Reactions: the delgados

TRENDING THREADS