• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What do you think about on the bike?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What do you think about on a solo ride?

• Total voters
when you guys pass another cyclist, do you wave, nod, or say hello?
It all depends on how far we are from other cyclists. If I'm in the local climbs or routes I'll every -very sparse- once in a while give a nod if I catch someone looking at me; which is fairly rare, perhaps because I'm always using sunglasses. I will usually say hello if someone is sitting on my wheel or vice-versa and an inquisitive "all good" if someone looks stranded alongside the road.

If I'm further out in the countryside or just somewhere less busy I'll make an effort to nod to most cyclists if we're both going slow enough to notice.

Last edited:
Today mostly "FUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, I'm in a *** shape!"

No. Often they're just annoying. Like the lady I had to overtake because she was so busy texting, she couldn't eve ride straight.
The people going the opposite direction are too far away.
Hmmm. I don’t see that? This is a problem when recreational cyclists mix with the more serious.

Where I ride most passing the other way give a nod or lift a hand off the hood - it’s the cycling etiquette.

I have places I need to be!
Most cyclists around here are just... cyclists; people going to school/work/whatever.

I just don't understand this "You should greet people just because they happen to use the same method of transportation as you do" thing.
It’s not transportation for some of us - it’s keeping fit. So I think we acknowledge the other person out of respect for doing similar - at least that is what I think?

It’s not transportation for some of us - it’s keeping fit. So I think we acknowledge the other person out of respect for doing similar - at least that is what I think?

Around here it's definitely mostly people just going about their everyday lives, not bothering others with some weird notion of having to be social.
Of course, if someone where to greet me, I'd acknowledge the greeting.

Reactions: Cookster15
It all depends on how far we are from other cyclists. If I'm in the local climbs or routes I'll every -very sparse- once in a while give a nod if I catch someone looking at me; which is fairly rare, perhaps because I'm always using sunglasses. I will usually say hello if someone is sitting on my wheel or vice-versa and an inquisitive "all good" if someone looks stranded alongside the road.

If I'm further out in the countryside or just somewhere less busy I'll make an effort to nod to most cyclists if we're both going slow enough to notice.
This. In some areas I will nod at anyone: pedestrians, horse riders and even those who are standing in their garden. So maybe two nods on a ride.

Other times and places, there won't be any interaction (unless the traffic situation demands it). I think a harmless non-behaviour like that is more asocial than anti-social.

Reactions: RedheadDane
Depending on where I'm riding. If riding in the city I can only think about keeping safe and watching traffic and road conditions; out in the country, my mind shifts to observing what's around me like nature, etc, and I also spend some time praying, it's my alone time with God.

TRENDING THREADS