• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question What first drew you to pro cycling?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SHaines

Administrator
Staff member
What first drew you to the sport of pro cycling?

I first got into it through a friend of mine who was obsessed with it back in the 90s. Was it someone inspiring you, or did you see a race and catch the bug that way?

We're giving a CyclingNews water bottle to 5 randomly selected people who post their stories before July 3rd. The giveaway is for US and UK users only.

XvIIRmL.jpg

Full rules below.

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.

The Cycling News (“Sweepstakes”) begins at 5 p.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) on 19 June 2020 and ends at 11:59 p.m. ET on 3 July 2020 (“Sweepstakes Period”).

ELIGIBILITY: This Sweepstakes is only open to legal residents of the United Kingdom, legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia, 18 or older. Employees, officers, directors and agents of Future PLC (“Sponsor”), and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates and advertising and promotion agencies, including any vendors providing services in connection with this Sweepstakes, and members of their immediate family (spouse, parent, children, siblings and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) and persons living in the same household, whether or not related, are not eligible. Void where prohibited. Subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws.

HOW TO ENTER: To enter, submit your entry during the Sweepstakes Period and follow the directions to enter the Sweepstakes. Entries generated by script, macro or other automated means or by any means which subvert the entry process are void. Entrants can only obtain one entry. Entries become the sole property of Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entry that it determines, in its sole discretion, is not in compliance with these Official Rules.

-Reply to this thread with you bottle comment or any other topic.

Entries generated by script, macro or other automated means or by any means which subvert the entry process are void. Entrants can only obtain an entry for any Entry Action one (1) time. No entrant can earn more than one (1) entries in this Sweepstakes. Entries become the sole property of Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entry and remove any post that it determines, in its sole discretion, is not in compliance with these Official Rules.

WINNER DETERMINATION: Potential winners will be selected by Sponsor in a random drawing on or about [July 3, 2020] from among all eligible entries received. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received. Sponsor’s decisions with respect to winner determination are final and binding.

WINNER NOTIFICATION: Potential winners will be contacted via direct forum message. Return of a prize or prize notification as undeliverable, the inability of Sponsor to contact a potential winner within a reasonable time period or noncompliance with these Official Rules by a potential winner will result in disqualification and, at Sponsor’s sole discretion, the prize may be awarded to an alternate winner.

Prize: Once Cycling News Bottle. Prizes are non-assignable and non-transferable and cannot be redeemed for cash. Prizes are awarded “as is” with no warranty or guarantee, either express or implied. Winners are responsible for all federal, state and local taxes as well as any costs and expenses associated with prize acceptance and use not specified herein as being provided. Winners may not substitute a prize, but Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to substitute a prize with one of comparable or greater value. All prize details are at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Limit one (1) prize per person/email address/household.

PUBLICITY GRANT: Entry in the Sweepstakes constitutes permission from entrant for Sponsor and its designees to use entrant’s name, social media username, city and state of residence and likeness (including, without limitation, social media profile photo), for advertising and promotional purposes, in any manner, in any and all media now or hereafter devised, worldwide in perpetuity, without further compensation, notification or permission, except where prohibited by law and as otherwise provided herein.

GENERAL CONDITIONS: Each entrant agrees: (a) to abide by these Official Rules and decisions of Sponsor and judges, which shall be final and binding in all respects; (b) to assume all risk, responsibility and liability for any personal bodily injury, losses, harm, damage (including, without limitation, property damage,personal injury and death), claim (including, without limitation, claims based on copyright or trademark infringement, rights of publicity or privacy,defamation and portrayal in a false light), actions, costs and expenses directly or indirectly arising from participation in this Sweepstakes; and (c) to indemnify, release, discharge and hold harmless the Sponsor and the irrespective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates and advertising and promotion agencies and all of the foregoing entities’ respective officers, directors,shareholders, members, agents and employees and their successors and assigns(collectively, “Released Parties”) from any and all claims, injuries, liability, losses and damages of any kind to persons, including death, or property resulting, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from or relating to entrant’s participation in the Sweepstakes, the operation of this Sweepstakes and/or the acceptance or use of the prize. Released Parties are not responsible for (i) lost, late, incomplete, damaged, inaccurate,stolen, delayed, misdirected, undelivered or garbled Entry Actions, entries,tweets or comments or messages; (ii) lost, interrupted or unavailable network,server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), website, or other connections,availability or accessibility or miscommunications; (iii) failed computer,satellite, telephone or cable transmissions, lines, or technical failure; (iv)jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions or computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures or difficulties; (v) other errors or difficulties of any kind, whether human, mechanical, electronic, computer, network, typographical, printing or otherwise, relating to or in connection with the Sweepstakes, including, without limitation, errors or difficulties which may occur in connection with the administration of the Sweepstakes, the processing of entries, the announcement of the prize or in any Entry Action or Sweepstakes-related materials; (vi) any incorrect or inaccurate information,whether caused by users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Sweepstakes; or (vii) injury or damage to any person's computer related to or resulting from participating in this Sweepstakes. Persons who tamper with or abuse any aspect of the Sweepstakes or a Sponsor page or social media account, who act in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner or who are in violation of these Official Rules, as solely determined by Sponsor, will be disqualified and all associated entries will be void. Should any portion of the Sweepstakes be, in Sponsor’s sole opinion, compromised by virus, worms, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes which, in the sole opinion of the Sponsor, corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper play, or submission of entries, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Sweepstakes (or any portion thereof) and if terminated,at its discretion, select winner at random from all eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to action taken or as otherwise deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor.

This Sweepstakes is only open to legal residents of the United Kingdom and legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia, aged 18 or older.

UK PARTICIPANTS ONLY: Nothing in these Official Rules limits or excludes any entity in terms of liability for death or personal injury caused by its negligence, for fraud or for any other liability which cannot as a matter of law be limited or excluded.

DATA COLLECTION: Information submitted in connection with this Sweepstakes will be used in accordance with Sponsor’s Privacy Policy, available at https://www.futureplc.com/privacy-policy/

WINNERS LIST: The names of the winners will be posted on the Sweepstakes Entry Page following the end of the Sweepstakes.

Sponsor: Future PLC, 11 W 42nd St, New York, NY 10036

Beijing Olympics. I ended up watching this live stream with no commentary and all you hear is the sound of tires, the shifting of gears. They whoosh through the turns and when the cars come by you can really hear it. It was not presented in a way that tried to explain the sport or the individual athletes. I did not know 1 rider nor any information about who the favorites were and if you remember the course it went by the forbidden city but it wasn't awe inspiring like, you know, the alps and whatnot.

I felt like I was really there. Looking back I feel it was the PERFECT way to present a single day race that way with no commentary talking over the live sounds. I was fascinated by the effort and the adventure these guys were going on. I was hooked after that, possibly because it was in the middle of a 10 year stretch where I didn't own a car and rode my bike everywhere. I got cycling TV for the next season and just started watching all the races I could. Still do.

2003 Tour de France, I have fond memories of especially Alpe d' Huez that year and I became a big Mayo fanboy, but he was just so *** in every other Tour, lol. Also felt really bad about Beloki who never was himself either again, and Ulle and Vino were just super cool and I always also rooted for them from that point on. Just so many legends and a great Tour

Reactions: Koronin
When I was four years old I made my first correct cycling prediction. My uncles often watched and discussed cycling. I only knew two names: Hinault, who was always first; and Zoetemelk, who was always second. In 1980 Hinault withdrew from the Tour because of a knee injury, so I said,

"So Zoetemelk is going to win!"

My uncles laughed and said that wasn't going to happen. Two weeks later it turned out I was right. Since then I always try to predict the outcome of a race. I now know more than two names and have more tactical insight, but that doesn't mean I always get it right.

Reactions: Big Doopie
2003 Tour de France, I have fond memories of especially Alpe d' Huez that year and I became a big Mayo fanboy, but he was just so *** in every other Tour, lol. Also felt really bad about Beloki who never was himself either again, and Ulle and Vino were just super cool and I always also rooted for them from that point on. Just so many legends and a great Tour
Those were the days, don't forget Hamilton with his broken collarbone.
In the 2004 Tour only Basso and Klöden were pleasant surprises for me.
Then the 2005 TdF happened and I suddenly didn't care that much about Basso:
46mfa0.jpg

I was a moto guy who also rode a bit of BMX, played some ball sports, and ran for fitness, but I remember watching ABC Wide World of Sports when they would do their TdF weekly recap show, maybe starting in '86 (LeMond). I was always impressed with being able to pound out the miles day after day, but it didn't hook me too much. I also saw a really wet edition of P-R. Flash forward to 1991 when I got out of the Army and was looking for an athletic outlet. I bought a mountain bike on a Tuesday, and did a race that Saturday. It was joylessly miserable, and I have been riding ever since. I didn't really get 'drawn in to pro cycling' until '93 when I decided that I might be able to 'make a living' racing mountain bikes so I started training with a group of roadies who where always talking about Euro road racing. I started reading about it quite a bit, and watching whenever it was on USA TV or when someone got a VHS tape of races. The Internet also started making it easier for USAers to watch Euro races. Also at that time, it was pretty common for pro dirt guys to join composite teams at road races so I was literally drawn in to USA pro racing.

So to the OP, my involvement drew me to pro cycling I guess.

Watching a well sponsored local crit that included US Continental touring pros and local amateur Cat 1,2; I saw crashes and attacks and thought this is a really an intense sport.
The deal was sealed the next weekend when I went to the local velodrome on a beautiful sunset evening with Mt. Rainier looming above the South turn, hot air balloons overhead and a certain Ms. Rebecca Twigg walked by in a skinsuit. Newly divorced, broke and needing an outlet for what ailed me my second reaction was: "what a beautiful sport!"
I had no idea where that would lead. Wouldn't change a thing.

Reactions: Irondan
Jul 1, 2020
Visit site
Greg
Greg got fat
Big Mig
Mig got awesome
Lance
1234567 In a Row
Floyd
Greatest Stage Ever

(edit) No Greg
Greg Got Whiney
Greg Destroyed USA Cycling
Betsy Got Fat
Kathy Always Fat

What is the name of that polish guy who hassled Lance! Novinsky? What a ***. SSDD SSDD SSDD

My dad is a casual fan. He was hooked on the late 50s due to Bahamontes, who was born in the same region as him. Then he followed scarcely whenever there was a prominent Spanish cyclist (Ocaña, Delgado, Indurain...). While following Indurain, the attacking and fearless style of Pantani caught his eye, so he used to watch whichever GT Pantani entered.

My first memories are watching Giro 98 with him. Since he was rooting for Pantani, I picked Tonkov (his main opponent in that race) as my favourite. I liked that race and began following the sport until now.

Any particular reason you didn't wanna root for the same rider as your dad?

I guess it was just to tease him as a little child. I was just 7 years old then. In my defence, i rooted Tonkov from then on and have good memories of celebrating his success in Vuelta and later Giri (2002 in Fauniera, 2004 in Fondo Sarnonico).

And I have to say we started somewhat of a trend (I was a big Armstrong fan back in the day, he didn't like him at all. In hindsight he was right there; he was also a big Contador fan too while I didn't like him at all and supported Menchov back then), and we have had a lot of fun by teasing each other whenever our cyclists won/lose:)

Was staying at my sister's for a few weeks in July 2010, one night bro-in-law left the TV on when he hit the sack and the Tour was on. Having spent time in the French countryside I was enjoying the helicopter shots, and got quite interested in the battle between Schleck and Contador, who - at the time for me were simply "the two lead guys". Naturally I knew almost nothing about tactics and rules (written or unwritten), aside from whatever the commentators may have said, so I couldn't understand what the fuss was about this "chain gate: thing! :D

Following year I was back there again, so got to see Cadel win, being Aussie that was a big thing.

2012 Tour was horribly boring, nothing really happened at all. But even still I just found watching a bunch of humans cycling out in the countryside was really enjoyable to watch, so I kept watching from there on, though only the Tour until 2014 when a friend into cycling told me to watch the classics, and so, along with the other GTs that was that.....

My dad (a racer in the 60s) ably assisted by Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen and Channel 4. I remember Hinault with blood all over his face as a 7 year old, this swish looking American as an 8 year old, Herrera with a spotty jersey and his mad long range attacks and Roche back from the dead as a 9 year old.

In 1988 we saw it in the flesh on the family holiday and we were all hooked. 1989, 8 seconds.

If only we could go back to those crazier days.....I still love it though.

I was a touring bicyclist and rode across the U.S. in 1979, but didn't know anything about racing. That winter, a friend convinced me to go see a movie I didn't know anything about. That evening, watching "Breaking Away" for the first time, I was enthralled by (the obviously Hollywood version of) the sport, and started looking at my bike, which was the only transportation I had my first year in Seattle, with a different eye. Started hanging out in bike shops and went to watch some local crit racing. But I really got intrigued with European pro racing after reading a fascinating Sports Illustrated article in probably 1982 or 1983, about Lemond racing and living in Europe when he was with Renault. Then came issues of "Winning" and and the John Tesh tour recaps on CBS with Lemond reaching the pinnacle of the sport. I was in for good. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS