• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What hapened to Contador?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Just finished: 42.11 mins. Contador took today for Alpe d Huez. That´s 4.36 mins. slower than the record of Pantani.

And 21 secs. slower than Luis Herrera in 1986 !!

Plus he lost 1.40+ on the long ITT.

So the Question is: Does a total clean top class rider loose 4 mins. on mountain stages compared to a blood/EPO doped rider. Or is Contador not in shape/form? It looked like he tried everything to get separation (ca. 5 attacks) from Brajkovic. So i don´t think he didn´t gave 100% today...

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Just finished: 42.11 mins. Contador took today for Alpe d Huez. That´s 4.36 mins. slower than the record of Pantani.

Plus he lost 1.40+ on the long ITT.

So the Question is: Does a total clean top class rider loose 4 mins. on mountain stages compared to a blood/EPO doped rider. Or is Contador not in shape/form? It looked like he tried everything to get separation (ca. 5 attacks) from Brajkovic. So i don´t think he didn´t gave 100% today...

It's early and he doesn't need to show all of his cards. He needed more time on Brat than he was going to get by flailing away so I would guess he sat on the option to win the stage. Racing is tactical as well. The times don't mean much unless it's a TT in this case. See what happens in July.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Expectations of Contador are so high that if he doesn't completely smash every rider on every climb and TT in every race he rides all season long, people are shocked. He's a huge star, but he's also human.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
A) Lot of accelerations, and standing still after that.
B) Loads of wind.
C) It's only June, the third week of the Tour is ages away.
D) He didn't have any incentive to really give it all (all he could win was the stage).

All in all, nothing remarkable about this time.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Just thought he´d go for the overall win and "destroy" Brajkovic today. Plus it seemed to me 42 mins. is too "slow" for a guy like him (and he´s not as tired as in a 3rd week of a TdF). Anyway, thanks for all the explanations.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
It's early and he doesn't need to show all of his cards.
Umm..sorry. But Alberto actually gave everything trying to drop Jani. It just was not gonna happen. But, I think he will find his form by July.

Jimmy Riddle

BANNED
Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Maybe he's trying to do it clean this year.

Last year I think all the hype surrounding Armstrong got to him so he over did the doping to make sure. Beating Cancellara in the time trial and breaking the tour power record on the Verbier was a bit too suspicious - he can't keep doing that.

Maybe the plan this year is to grind out the win by a few seconds.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
How one can "overdo" the doping? Isn't it safer (given the fact that he wasn't caught with his super-doping in 2009) to do just the same this year and take it just a bit easier on the TTs and mountains?

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:

Luis Herrera finished 27mins down on Alpe d'huez in 1986. Do you mean 1984?

Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia!

May 15, 2010
Visit site
some folks are confused about the difference between looking tired and looking bored.

He looked like his mind was on July and out for a casual ride to me.

Jimmy Riddle said:
Maybe he's trying to do it clean this year.

Last year I think all the hype surrounding Armstrong got to him so he over did the doping to make sure. Beating Cancellara in the time trial and breaking the tour power record on the Verbier was a bit too suspicious - he can't keep doing that.

Maybe the plan this year is to grind out the win by a few seconds.

I don't think it's as fine a science as all that to know exactly, to the watt, where you stand against your competition.

It would be a lot easier to back off the pedals in the last time trial than to "under dope" or some such rot.

These guys give it all they have with every tool at their disposal. Simple answer, it's June.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Matteo said:
Luis Herrera finished 27mins down on Alpe d'huez in 1986. Do you mean 1984?

Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia!

Yes, it was from wiki. I try to stay away frrom wiki but couldn´t find the stats somewhere else...

But todays number is real, because i took the time personally ;)

If Herrera´s time was from 1984, it makes todays race even "slower".

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Two and a half liters will improve his form massively.

Thanks!

Why did it take 9 posts to point out the obvious?

I'm stunned that people really believe this guy is going to be a legitimately different person in 3 or 4 weeks.:eek:

TRENDING THREADS