• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What hapened to Contador?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
anybody see Horner(shack) dragging Teejay(htc) up the last 2 kilometres, telling him to get on his wheel...what's that about....an anti-contador move

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
anybody see Horner(shack) dragging Teejay(htc) up the last 2 kilometres, telling him to get on his wheel...what's that about....an anti-contador move

Old, veteran American rider helping new young American rider on his first time up Alpe d'Huez. Horner is just that kind of guy anyway - very cool.

Jimmy Riddle

BANNED
Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Life must be good when you can win a race and people still complain that you did not win decisively enough.

Which race are you talking about? AC is still 01:41 down on RadioShack's impressive Janez Brajkovic. Today was supposed to be the day where he put five minutes into him. In the end he put 0 seconds into him.

I can't see AC winning this race now.

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
i think he knows the pyrennees and the 51k tt are where the tour will be one and there what 5 weeks away! He was nowhere near top form
Brajkovic probably is near top form
Szmyd and coppel will focus on this race so they were at least a lot closer to form than conti

In comparison to menchov and sanchez im satisfied with his performance
indeed over the whole dauphine except one tt

Jimmy Riddle said:
Which race are you talking about? AC is still 01:41 down on RadioShack's impressive Janez Brajkovic. Today was supposed to be the day where he put five minutes into him. In the end he put 0 seconds into him.

I can't see AC winning this race now.

The stage.I believe he was talking about winning the stage. Who supposed contador to put five minutes into brajkovic, anyway? I never heard anyone saying anything like that.

Jimmy Riddle said:
Which race are you talking about?

I must have imagined AC winning atop the Alpe, a nice stage win after repeatedly saying he would not try to win the overall. Who could've guessed that BPC is an idiot?

A more interesting topic is how many of the TdF contenders in Switzerland placed so far down in stage 1. It looks like everyone knows full well that the Tour will be a battle of unrestricted doping. After Armstrong got away with his blood values last year and said that he will do everything possible to win this year, everyone must be riding a liter or more low with the deficit stored in their closet refrigerators.

Jimmy Riddle

BANNED
Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I must have imagined AC winning atop the Alpe, and this after repeatedly saying he would not try to win the overall. Who could've guessed that BPC is an idiot?

A more interesting topic is how many of the TdF contenders in Switzerland placed so far down in stage 1. It looks like everyone knows full well that the Tour will be a battle of unrestricted doping. After Armstrong got away with his blood values last year and said that he will do everything possible to win this year, everyone must be riding a liter or more low with the deficit stored in the closet refrigerator.

Oh, you're saying you got mixed up and confused this stage with a race? No need to apologise.

I think if anything Contador looked at Armstrong's blood values from last year and realised he wasn't doping anywhere near where he thought he was, which is why he has backed right off himself this year. There's no need to brake the power record and beat the greatest time trialist in the history of the sport to win the tour.

Jimmy Riddle said:
Oh, you're saying you got mixed up and confused this stage with a race? No need to apologise.

I think if anything Contador looked at Armstrong's blood values from last year and realised he wasn't doping anywhere near where he thought he was, which is why he has backed right off himself this year. There's no need to brake the power record and beat the greatest time trialist in the history of the sport to win the tour.

So Armstrong was sharing his blood values before/during the Tour with Contador, and Contador is afraid he looks "too doped" and is backing it off.

Those are in the running for the two most ludicrous assertions of the week on this forum.

Do you seriously believe this tripe or are you just trying to get a rise?

Jimmy Riddle

BANNED
Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
red_flanders said:
So Armstrong was sharing his blood values before/during the Tour with Contador,

No, they were posted online after the fact. You may not know but a Danish scientist speculated that they might have shown blood doping. It was the matter of some controversy. I'm sure AC will have known about all this.

"and Contador is afraid he looks "too doped" and is backing it off.

He knows there is no need to break the power record and beat Sparticus to win the tour. He might not get away with that level of doping this time either with the greater scrutiny and the Pelizotti case, so why not do it almost clean?

Those are in the running for the two most ludicrous assertions of the week on this forum.

You don't believe that. It's fairly tame speculation by the standards of the clinic.

Jimmy Riddle said:
No, they were posted online after the fact. You may not know but a Danish scientist speculated that they might have shown blood doping. It was the matter of some controversy. I'm sure AC will have known about all this.

Got it. Sorry for the misunderstanding. The idea that Contador is "backing off the doping" because he was too strong last year is still all-time. Gold.

He knows there is no need to break the power record and beat sparticus to win the tour. He might not get away with that level of doping this time either with the greater scrunity and the Pelizotti case, so why not do it almost clean?

Specifically what does he have to fear from the testers this year that he didn't last year?

You don't believe that. It's fairly tame speculation by the standards of the clinic.

Clearly my understanding of your first comment was wrong. This idea that Contador is "backing off the doping" remains comedy gold on any number of levels.

Jimmy Riddle

BANNED
Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
red_flanders said:
Got it. Sorry for the misunderstanding. The idea that Contador is "backing off the doping" because he was too strong last year is still all-time. Gold.

Why?

Specifically what does he have to fear from the testers this year that he didn't last year?

The Pellizotti case for a start - the passport is turning the scew slightly more every year - and one could very well expect that the Landis issue has put huge pressure on the UCI to be more transparent. There is also a new person in charge of the passport programme.

Clearly my understanding of your first comment was wrong. This idea that Contador is "backing off the doping" remains comedy gold on any number of levels.

Again, why?

Jimmy Riddle

BANNED
Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
Jimmy crack corn, and I don't care

I don't think the mods like offtopic posts. I'm sure you can sing along to yourself without posting it here. thanks.

Jimmy Riddle said:
Why?

The Pellizotti case for a start - the passport is turning the scew slightly more every year - and one could very well expect that the Landis issue has put huge pressure on the UCI to be more transparent. There is also a new person in charge of the passport programme.

Again, why?

Because it's stupid on so many levels that I can't even figure out where to start. I'll give it a shot.

They've been beating the "passport" forever. Nothing has changed about the passport. If he's doping, he beat it last year and all this year and the year before and nothing has changed. The fact that there are more specifics known to the fans about how they're beating the passport is meaningless. It's dead simple to beat and he has nothing to fear.

You don't know what his blood values are/were. So, you don't know for sure he's doping (but I'll give you that), and you damn sure don't know if he's close to setting off the passport alarm. You use Armstrong's previously published values as some kind of indicator of what Contador is doing, and at what level? Hilarious. Contador has enough of a brain not to dare the world to look at his values and then get mad when they show he doped. He lacks the disdain for his fans' intellects.

Why else? As stated already, the idea that it's such a fine science that "backing off" because you won by too much last year is a whole new kind of stupid. A rider can't judge his and everyone else's form to that kind of perfection. Doped or not this is still a sport, and the riders are still human. If he's doping, he's going to dope as much as he thinks he can, just like last year and the year before.

Given your posting record, I get why you've invented this tripe, but sorry, it's ridiculous.

Jimmy Riddle

BANNED
Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
red_flanders said:
Because it's stupid on so many levels that I can't even figure out where to start. I'll give it a shot.

They've been beating the "passport" forever. Nothing has changed about the passport. If he's doping, he beat it last year and all this year and the year before and nothing has changed.

No, this is wrong. Most people share the view that the passport has narrowed the space for doping and is continuing to narrow it year on year as the data and profiles build up. Of course it can still be beaten at this stage, but all the signs are that the gap is closing. Therefore there is a good basis to speculate that riders will become increasingly cautious year on year. Nothing stupid or ridiculous about that. It will be interesting to see if any other big names are named before the tour as people the UCI is prosecuting.

You don't know what his blood values are/were. So, you don't know for sures he's doping (but I'll give you that), and you damn sure don't know if he's close to setting off the passport alarm. You use Armstrong's previously published values as some kind of indicator of what Contador is doing, and at what level? Hilarious. Contador has enough of a brain not to dare the world to look at his values and then get mad when they show he doped. He lacks the disdain for his fans' intellects.

I don't understand what you're saying here. It's ridiculous that Contador could have seen Armstrong's doping was at a much lower level than he suspected so it's stupid for him to back off himself this year? I can't for the life of me see why this is a stupid and hilarious point. Nothing you've written challenges that.

Why else? As stated already, the idea that it's such a fine science that "backing off" because you won by too much last year is a whole new kind of stupid. A rider can't judge his and everyone else's form to that kind of perfection. Doped or not this is still a sport, and the riders are still human. If he's doping, he's going to dope as much as he thinks he can, just like last year and the year before.

I have no idea what you're saying here. Of course riders ride to the limit. I think AC was riding to the limit today. That's why the level of dope you are willing to risk doing is important. If you judge that your limit can still just about win then you do less dope. That maybe where contador is this year. It's much safer to ride to the limit than over do the doping and ease off. Otherwise they'd all have 60% crits.

Again, nothing particularly ridiculous or absurd about this.

I think your last sentence lets slip that you don't really believe this. You just thought you'd pick on something I said and claim it was absurd tripe. Choose something better next time.

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
Not enought "Allergy" medicine.

If AC didn't give it his best shot today then he's got to be a great actor from the looks on his face when he was countering all the attacks and going on his own. Give that man an Academy Award, sure fooled me....

ttrider said:
i think he knows the pyrennees and the 51k tt are where the tour will be one and there what 5 weeks away! He was nowhere near top form Top up for Tour Time (TUFTT)
Brajkovic probably is near top form
Szmyd and coppel will focus on this race so they were at least a lot closer to form than conti

In comparison to menchov and sanchez im satisfied with his performance
indeed over the whole dauphine except one tt

Yes, in 5 weeks it will be TUFTT. :D

May 15, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
if you win too decisively there is a new thread on CN forums on your being doped before you hit the finish line:rolleyes:

Why not? how many posts are there on AC's salute? I call your Rolleyes and raise you a wink and a confused!

:wink: :confused:

Jimmy Riddle

BANNED
Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Some people seem to get peed off by AC's salute. I don't know why. I just think it's a bit of fun.

Though having said that, if a certain other rider had a little signature salute, we'd never hear the end of it.