• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

what has happened to this website...

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
cyclingnews.com used to be easy to read but now i open it up and it's all over the place. i think this website is a mess now and doesn't have the edge over other cycling sites it once used to.
rant over

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
JayKosta said:
'Improved' for those who want pretty pictures,
'degraded' for us who want quick navigation and access to real 'content'.

Maybe they'll add flames to the 'spinning pig on ice'!

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

....yup!...ok I like "pretty pictures" as much as the next guy but this site is now silly on steroids! ( much worse than the last update, which was awful )....maybe this should be taken to the clinic where the existing high levels of resident vitriol will deal with this matter in a more straight forward and appropriate manner...it'll be a nice warm-up for the upcoming clinic TdF meltdown...

..."add flames to the 'spinning pig on ice'!"....indeed....!!!!!....

Cheers

happytramp said:
Yikes! It's gone like the mobile version.

mobile version is pants, and the app's gone to pot too.
I thought I'd replace the app, but I can't find the app in the apple app store either - only has the TdF tracker app..
New one on the way?

*and should this be in the About the Site sub-forum?

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
faster said:
cyclingnews.com used to be easy to read but now i open it up and it's all over the place. i think this website is a mess now and doesn't have the edge over other cycling sites it once used to.
rant over

Agreed 100%.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
What made me laugh was the recent Opinion regarding E3 sexism in cycling.

Appalling article & journalism which didn't really have any place on a cycling website. Didn't really see the point it was trying to make other than a soap box rant.

The irony of it was that elsewhere on the site you can find topics such as "who has the best podium girls" and countless other such content including ads which are pretty sexist.

The beginning of the end for CN?

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
B_Ugli said:

Appalling article & journalism which didn't really have any place on a cycling website. Didn't really see the point it was trying to make other than a soap box rant.

The irony of it was that elsewhere on the site you can find topics such as "who has the best podium girls" and countless other such content including ads which are pretty sexist.

Female admin. It explains these pandering articles that come up now and then.

It may have something to do with this recent acquisition:
"In May 2014 Immediate announced its acquisition of Future plc's Sport and Craft titles in a ?24 million deal, acquiring 130 staff.[6]"

Previous Future plc owned Cyclingnews :
"In 1995 Australian Bill Mitchell, a keen cyclist and professor of economics at the University of Newcastle, created the website titled "Bill?s Cycling Racing Results and News" after finding there was a need for fast-breaking news and race results in English-speaking countries.[1][2] In 1999 Sydney-based publishing company Knapp Communications purchased the website from Mitchell,[3] and in July 2007 they sold it to British publisher Future plc for ?2.2m.[4][5][6]"

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclingnews.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immediate_Media_Company
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_plc

Pete

Administrator
Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Cyclingnews.com has indeed moved to Immediate Media, though the new layout was actually designed and built while the brand was still with Future. The team here at Immediate have been responsible for making it live due to the timing of the acquisition, but the changes themselves are not a result of the new publisher.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
B_Ugli said:

what made me laugh most about that article was this quote

"As influential household partners, they control the majority of consumer spending."

Good to see the writer of the piece still going by the age old stereotypical and sexist view that men go out to work while women do the shopping.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
B_Ugli said:

Yes interesting that the writer didn't have any problem with the Dubai Qatar or Oman races, held in countries where Women's rights are not exactly strong..
money talks..

Re: Forum layout

bike_framed said:
Haven't visited this site for a while. Guess I should have stayed away. Looks like crap.

Totally agree - hard to use, read, navigate - TERRIBLE !! I dont bother with it anymore - which maybe some are glad about - CN should get it back to how it was. Why not have a vote !! ??

Pete

Administrator
Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
This URL is technically no longer in use, as http://www.cyclingnews.com is the site for both desktop and mobile. The same site, the same content, but with a layout that scales to fit the size of your screen.

However, m.cyclingnews.com should just redirect to http://www.cyclingnews.com, and I believe someone is currently correcting this. Though if you are still using the "mobile URL", this is no longer necessary and you'll get an ever so slightly quicker page load by going to www.cyclingnews.com directly (as we won't be redirecting you).

TRENDING THREADS