• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What have you bought for yorself lately?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
A new Panasonic LCD TV, because my Sony tube TV's power supply died prematurely, and it cost more to fix it than was reasonable . No more Sony's..... most things I've bought of theirs have failed prematurely. The Panasonic has by far the best viewing angle of any LCD I've seen, it's as good as tube TV's.

I've lived without one for about a year, but finally decided to get a new one as I bought it with Amazon's Gold Box deals of the day.

While I'm glad to get rid of 100 lbs. of dead weight, with an HDTV, the mix if HD and SD programming is sometimes maddening, as SD content from DISH looks worse than it did on a tube TV. OTA broadcasts are stunning. Maybe I'll get DISH HD in time for the TDF.

A

Anonymous

The Great and Mighty Internet

Makes anything possible

2qu3r83.jpg

It is a Japanese pickle Press for fermenting things on your kitchen counter top. Arrived last night

34sqgyq.jpg

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
lostintime said:
While I'm glad to get rid of 100 lbs. of dead weight, with an HDTV, the mix if HD and SD programming is sometimes maddening, as SD content from DISH looks worse than it did on a tube TV. OTA broadcasts are stunning. Maybe I'll get DISH HD in time for the TDF.

I hear DISH, especially their cust svc, is bottom of the barrel. Your thoughts?

I am waiting for a better interface for hdtv and streamed content so I can watch youtube and torrents directly on the tv without the burning of cd and praying the file is able to be read by my dvd.

Besides, these damned tv's are still too small for my taste (really). Vizio is coming out with a 72" lcd/led this year (I know mits has an 82", but it's deep and not very bright). what's the sense of 1080p if it isn't on some ridiculous sized screen???

bought a new pair of new balance 622's today - on sale at ****'s- and picking up my new orthotics on Tuesday. (It's getting very painful to walk.) It's the little things....

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
ravens said:
I hear DISH, especially their cust svc, is bottom of the barrel. Your thoughts?

DISH customer service can be pretty bad, but it isn't always. It's like a lottery.... you never know who you're going to speak with or their level or knowledge as it pertains to the issues one needs help with.

I've had best success with phone reps who are American, and speak plain American English. These are usually labeled as "tech support" people. Getting directly to these reps can be maddening though, as DISH's first line of reps is usually the foreign speaking English reps who, if you can understand them, often don't have any real experience with the equipment, they sit in front of a lcd screen iputing what the customer says into a database and waiting for it to come up with an answer.

If this seems like dim prospects ..... don't assume DirectTV or your local CableTV provider will offer you better service. It is of my belief from my research into TV providers that they all do a poor job with customer service. I've considered many times dropping all pay TV.... and some day might..... but for now I've learned to educate myself as much as possible about using DISH equipment. But frankly, it seems like it's either I have to reset the receiver or it needs replaced.... for which one must go through the lengthy dog-and-pony show with DISH to get it replaced.

Make sure you always get a service plan with DISH, this covers your equipment, as it will eventually fail. We've had each of our 4 receivers replaced multiple times over 7 years.

Since the customer is often treated so hastily, and these companies' attempts to hold you financial hostage if you wish to terminate early from the "contract" ..... one must ask how much is it worth? Heck, my Father nearly made himself ill with stress from dealing with DISH and the way they manipulate charges on the monthly bill. I had to call them and say I was him to get it worked out. All this has taught me one thing though .... TV is just TV. I can live with it, I can live without it.

I realize all the HD content can be great and all, but it seems to me there is a hidden cost in the madness of dealing with those who provide it. It isn't like stuff happens every day with DISH though. Far from it. It's been much more reliable than cable TV, for which we get channels 2-13. The signal only goes out for brief times during a heavy cloud clover from a storm, then come right back. When out cable goes out, it can be hours or days.

So yes, I would recommend DISH with reservations. Just know you're not going to get prompt, knowledgeable service right away .... be patient.... and eventually it'll get worked out. I've asked their cust. service people what is the biggest problem for them dealing with Americans ..... and they all say "Americans want their service, and they want it now." I've noticed if I'm patient with them, they are better able to serve me, as opposed to giving them a hard time.... which serves no one.

BTW .... My opinion.... there's better choices than Vizio. I really like my Panasonic LCD. Though they don't make them really big, the quality of the image and the viewing angle is outstanding.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Well I can't say what I paid money for recently because I might go on probation.

I bought a jacuzzi for myself recently. I think that is rated G for now.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
went to the nahbs show in Richmond with my son, a huge treat, see photos link elsewhere in the forum. it was a special day I'll never forget. I added 200 photos to the pool, now they are up to almost 1600 photos
http://www.flickr.com/groups/nahbs2010/

it was quite a splurge, tank and a half of gas ($50), 350+ miles of driving, $8 parking, $5 canvas bag, $25 admission, $25 on food and bevs

I also picked up new orthotics yesterday, $135, they last 3-5 yrs.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
bought myself a bike torch - still waiting for it to arrive.

summer is ending and it's becoming a bit tricky riding on the bike trail without lights.

A

Anonymous

Not just for me

1qg389.jpg

Bought it for the business. But it may get some personal use as well

9pn7tj.jpg

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Recently? Hell, my wife buys shoes like I buy cappuccini. Recently in my house means within the past hour.

Darling I was talking about a pair of shoes for biking. But if it were for casual wear or occasions I usually shop for it almost every other day :)