• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What is your favourite one day race?

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
What is your favourite one day race and why?

For me Tour of Flanders is the best, there are a lot of cobbled uphills, rural landscape, interesting region where cycling is number one for many people, not football It is unique in the Europe. After the whole difficulty from Paterberg to finish line there is usually incredible fullgas

here is something about it. One day war:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfNnoDUVhlo

Milan-Sanremo. It starts the real racing, it's finely balanced and can swing from an obvious pick to an unknown/unthought of rider very easily due to riding, conditions etc. and while everyone says it's the sprinters monument it's almost always won from at least a reduced peloton, usually not by a top line sprinter.

Of the current World Tour calendar, I'm in love with the Laurentian classics, better known as the Grands Prix Cyclistes de Québec et Montréal. Charismatic races, always deliver. There's a sense of freshness to them, yet warm. I just hope they stay for many years to come.

Then usually comes the World Championship, if it's eligible, perhaps followed by Lombardia.

001b0881_670.jpg

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Il Lombardia. The spring classics are a fantastic two month long circus, but nothing beats watching the riders pass Madonna del Ghisallo on a rainy October afternoon, when the season is about to end.

Strade Bianche. The best race, along with the world championships, to see riders with different strengths and specialities compete against each other. The Worlds are often raced quite conservatively and are lacking in action, Strade Biance always delivers.

Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
TMP402 said:
Can (and if so, when) Strade Bianche ever become the sixth monument?

I'm not sure it's even considered a classic yet. The monuments aren't official designations, they have just gained that status through prestige and longivety.

I know, I'm just asking, do people think there will one day be a sixth monument (in the full popular opinion of the cycling world as the other five became), and if so when/how could that be possible. Strade Bianche seems to me to be the one-day race that people are most enthusiastic about without it being the WC or a monument, and it also has unique characteristics. It's probably too short at the moment but that could easily be remedied, and for a race that only started in 2007, it has a prestigious list of past winners: Cancellara (x2), Gilbert, Stybar, and Kwiatkowski. In fact of the nine editions of Strade Bianche, seven have been won by Monument winners, Olympic medalists or World Champions (alright, a cyclocross one (Stybar this year)).

Re:

Pentacycle said:
Il Lombardia. The spring classics are a fantastic two month long circus, but nothing beats watching the riders pass Madonna del Ghisallo on a rainy October afternoon, when the season is about to end.

Love Lombardy. The race of the falling leaves. We saw it live this year. A beautiful area.

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Pentacycle said:

I miss the finish line in Como I miss Lake of Como during wathing Il Lombardia on TV

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Generally I'am most hyped about Roubaix...

It's the race that (almost) always delivers the things I love about cycling....

However sometimes it is overshadowed by other one-day races in same season..

Hence I look the most forward to Roubaix but sometimes I enjoy other races more...

depends/depends...