• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What other big names will be in Lombardia?

usedtobefast said:
i think horner said he was coming. he is my darkhorse pick. just keep the
rubberside down.

I'm not sure if he qualifies as a big name, but yah, Horner himself said he'd be at Lombardia. Is his contract up with Astana? If so, he needs a good Lobardia so he can get a contract with Retirement Shack or maybe Silence Lotto if Cadel would want him.

A

Anonymous

issoisso said:
Andy Schleck, also.

Seriously, it's one of the 5 monuments of cycling. The field will of course be awesome.

Andy's out:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/end-of-season-for-andy-schleck

Valverde? Yeh I think Dekker, Di Luca, Ricco and Peipoli are also coming :eek:

Tips anyone?
- I'll start with the obvious and say the Little Prince will take yet another Lombardia
- Naturally, I'd love to see Cadel add this one to his palmares (wonder what country i'm from:p)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
doddy13 said:
That could be interesting on Italian soil. :p

Mountain Goat said:
Andy's out:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/end-of-season-for-andy-schleck

Valverde? Yeh I think Dekker, Di Luca, Ricco and Peipoli are also coming :eek:

Tips anyone?
- I'll start with the obvious and say the Little Prince will take yet another Lombardia
- Naturally, I'd love to see Cadel add this one to his palmares (wonder what country i'm from:p)

Oops, my mistake. It'll be a Cunego V Evans duel in my opinion. I think Cunego will take it especially as evans will be heavily marked so he won't be able to get away and Cunego is a faster finisher.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
KazakhNeRider said:
Vinokourov is going to Lombardia, before he'll ride Italians semi-classics (Emilia, Beghelli, Piemonte)

I think evans is doing some of those as well but he's first ride with the rainbow jersey will be the Coppa Sabatini on the 8th of October.

Had a look on Startlists and the only name pencilled in, is Phillipe Gilbert.
Riding at the start of March, still going in mid October.
There's a whole raft of Italian one dayers coming up, but, amazingly, Lazio (after 75 starts) and Milan-Turin, both HC, are cancelled.

auscyclefan94 said:
I think evans is doing some of those as well but he's first ride with the rainbow jersey will be the Coppa Sabatini on the 8th of October.
Definitely down for Emilia and Beghelli. No names for the Coppa S, as yet.

Other riders signed up for some, so will be at Lombardy include:
Basso, Cunego, Gesink, Kolobnev, Brajkovic, Horner, Kirchen, Cobo, Scarponi....

Luckily, I get to see all the Italian races.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
There's a whole raft of Italian one dayers coming up, but, amazingly, Lazio (after 75 starts) and Milan-Turin, both HC, are cancelled.

Definitely down for Emilia and Beghelli. No names for the Coppa S, as yet.

Other riders signed up for some, so will be at Lombardy include:
Basso, Cunego, Gesink, Kolobnev, Brajkovic, Horner, Kirchen, Cobo, Scarponi....

Seriously, Gesink it STILL trying to win, why haven't Rabobank put him in the shed for surgery to get ready for 2010?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Buninyong Bunny said:
Seriously, Gesink it STILL trying to win, why haven't Rabobank put him in the shed for surgery to get ready for 2010?

Give gesink a rest. He's young and has had a long, injury interuppted season. Rabobank should let him rest.

A

Anonymous

Since Lombardia is the last chance for riders to move up in the world rankings, i thought i'd ask this question here to save starting another thread:

Why is the world championships not included in the world rankings ??

There is probably a good reason, but it seems to me that the road race should earn the same points as a monument one day race.. the time trial? not sure what it should earn..

Rankings and races included on this wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_UCI_World_Ranking

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Oops, my mistake. It'll be a Cunego V Evans duel in my opinion. I think Cunego will take it especially as evans will be heavily marked so he won't be able to get away and Cunego is a faster finisher.

I doubt it will be a duel between them too, winning the WC doesn't make evans some kind of one day power house.

Cunego is very dominant in this race, which is quite hard imo.
He is rightly so my favorite.

I beleive basso will podium.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Gesink isn't sure yet. He said he will see after Emilia what to do. He does not want to ride Lombardia if he has the same shape as in the worlds for example.

He should have ended his season at the worlds, even at the end of the vuelta. He has a monstor heart.

rest, recover, more rest... then train. I think 2010 could be the year where gesink trades in his minor placings for wins. He is due to win something big. Maybe AGR, or a stage race like paris-nice etc. I still think he could podium at the tour.

TRENDING THREADS