• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What Should be Nibali's Tactics in the giro 2013?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What Should be Nibali's Tactics in the giro 2013?

• Just listen to vino.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
phanatic said:
Does anyone remember the last time Nibbles rode il giro: the head shaking, the Bertie doesn't respect me routine, the hand holding with his director on the Gavia stage? He should aim for a podium. I root for Nibali usually, but it's going to be painful when Bradley reaches across Ryder to scruff the hair of the shark in congratulations.

are you so dumb or sarcastic?He is going to Giro with one goal - win it.Podium?Are you serious?:eek:

Angliru said:
Vino was never going to win a grand tour unless he took these risks and rode aggressively. He did happen to win the Vuelta though so it did ultimately pay off to a certain degree. He was never the best versus the clock nor was he among the elite gc climbers so he could've ridden conservatively and hoped for the best possible finish in the gc or he could go for broke as he did and hope to create chaos and at best causing his stronger rivals to make mistakes. I think he rode in a fashion that gave him the best chance at success. What comes to mind most is the Tour stage to Gap (in 2003 I believe) where Beloki had his horrific crash on the descent and Armstrong's often mentioned improvisation to avoid Beloki, all caused by Vino's aggression.

As far as Nibali if not for his aggressive riding he never would've won TA this year nor would he have made the podium of MSR. I think his aggressive riding has been more of an asset than a detriment to his success.

Yes he has no choice, he has to be aggressive. The long time trial is a big advantage to Wiggins and he will be hoping to sit back on some of the difficult stages and follow. But Nibali will get caught out if he launches crazy attacks. He has to be smart about it and also hope to use time bonuses as well to make up time. It won't be easy but it only takes one stage sometimes to turn the race around and he will be hoping some of his rivals can find their climbing legs and possibly work with him against Wiggins especially if they can't win the overall but are chasing stage wins. He needs to isolate Wiggins and hope that Sky's best domestiques weaken on some of the hard stages. Strong team for Sky of course but no Froome and no Porte will make some difference I think towards the end of stages.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Yes he has no choice, he has to be aggressive. The long time trial is a big advantage to Wiggins and he will be hoping to sit back on some of the difficult stages and follow. But Nibali will get caught out if he launches crazy attacks. He has to be smart about it and also hope to use time bonuses as well to make up time. It won't be easy but it only takes one stage sometimes to turn the race around and he will be hoping some of his rivals can find their climbing legs and possibly work with him against Wiggins especially if they can't win the overall but are chasing stage wins. He needs to isolate Wiggins and hope that Sky's best domestiques weaken on some of the hard stages.Strong team for Sky of course but no Froome and no Porte will make some difference I think towards the end of stages.

Yeah it's only Henao and Uran :eek:

Isolate Wiggins will be very difficult but it's for sure the only way to win it.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
airstream said:
Anyone but me thinks that Wiggins will attack ln the mountains?

Only if all else (winning it through the TT's, relying on Sky train to drop Nibali, hoping Nibali has a very bad day, etc.) fails. And even then it would only be in the final 1-2 km before the finish after the Sky train finished their job.

airstream said:
Anyone but me thinks that Wiggins will attack ln the mountains?

He will be on cruise control once he gets the pink jersey and will simply have his train reel in any dangerous attacks but only after letting them flail in the wind for awhile. He will be intent on saving his energies for the Tour. There might be an instance where he'll put in a dig just to show-off and maybe take a mtf stage win just to show that he could. It won't be a regular occurrence.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Hesjedal, Evans, Sanchez, nibali, they can all do one thing wiggins can't...if gaps aren't happening on challenging finishes a suicide dash will need to take place one day with favourites working against sky. Rare that happens though. Then again maybe nibali is stronger in the mountains and loses less than 2 minutes in the tt as noted he's been more impressive in the early season

More Strides than Rides said:
I didn't vote in the TT thread, but I think it will be near three minutes.

Regardless, I answered the question, "What should Nibali's tactics be?".

For Nibali to win, he will have to find more form on top of what he has shown to be his best in the past, and Wiggans will have to have missed out on some of the calculated components of his 2012 prep.

Nibali won't win unless Wiggans shows weakness. Sitting on Wiggans and waiting for the opportunity is much safer than soloing and hoping Wiggnas can't come back. I voted for the Purito option, but that and the third options aren't exclusive of each other

Yes, that is correct, we know that Nibali has not proven to be a better climber than Wiggins. So unless Wiggins does not show up in optimal shape, or Nibali has undergone some massive improvement, he will not gain significant time (if any at all) by trying to out drag Wiggins in a 40min FTP effort. Thus if he actually wants to win the race he needs to broaden the domain, and try and get Wiggins out of his comfort zone. This is where his team becomes most important. It's unlikely to work, and does have some risk attached, but if he does not make an attempt he must be happy racing for 2nd.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
This isolate Wiggins stuff is just guff - I really struggle to see Nibali as a sufficiently better (if at all) climber than Henao to do that on a regular basis.

No one is saying it will work but Nibali is better than Henao over three weeks. Wiggins has been practicing his climbing so we will see. He may be even more aggressive in the mountains himself unless he completely buries the opposition in the long TT.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I think the other way round Wiggins is preparing blitzkrieg in the mountains too. He feels that Nibali is already like a wild trotter that hoofbeats on the ground in anticipation of the сlimbs. His ardor should be cooled down quickly.

TRENDING THREADS