• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What should Cookson do?

Anti-doping is the single biggest issue

Clarity in the licensing process, plus longer franchises (say 5 years as typical) for stability of teams.

Start taking womens road racing seriously. IF necessary use some of the income from the grand tours as seed money here. Better a functioning womens pro calendar (even if mainly in Europe) than money spent on the Tour of Hangzou

T&R commission in some form.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Full and complete transparency at UCI.

Take UCI out of Switzerland at some point in the future.
Why the need to do that?

If he makes anti-doping independent then the UCI reverts to its actual stated objectives.
Basically worrying about sock length.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Why the need to do that?

If he makes anti-doping independent then the UCI reverts to its actual stated objectives.
Basically worrying about sock length.

You think UCI are only corrupt on doping?

Taking 3million dollars (iirc) from Japan Cycling to push for the Keirin in Olympics is not doping related.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Whatever he needs to do to maintain the UCI stranglehold on all forms of professional cycling and not least maximize his personal paycheck.
Everything else is irrelevant.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
You think UCI are only corrupt on doping?

Taking 3million dollars (iirc) from Japan Cycling to push for the Keirin in Olympics is not doping related.
Hein was corrupt. Not the UCI.

Some key personnel like Verbiest, Strebel, etc should be shown the door.
Still don't see what moving out of Switzerland would do - it appears another empty suggestion so you can continue to dismiss the process.

just because he is not the president anymore, its not the end of McQuaid within the UCI, isnt he still head if the Global Cycling Promotion outlet which looses around $1 million every year - where does the money GO ????
And all his henchmen are working at the UCI and will not be assisting Cookson when he arrives..

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Anyone think we'll have a non british tour winner under Cookson?

Yes. Actually. In fact, I'd nearly guarantee it.

So many disappointed to see the back of Pat. So many hooked on the soap, not the sport.

Yeah, tough day, guys.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I think its worth giving the guy a chance before getting stuck into him.

It will be pretty easy to see by his actions what hes all about pretty quickly.

Remember Pat is gone!!!! Today on twitter was good fun although I dont know what would have happened if Pat had won. Twitter may have melted.

Don't think moving HQ out of swiss is that important. Transparency comes first then their is no need.

Gilbert tweeted something idiotic today along the lines of ' we the riders have nothing to say, lets get bigger sponsors into cycling'

Id be happy if Cookson sent out a few strong warning shots to plonkers like him who have been riding the gravy train on the back of doped performances.

martinvickers said:
Yes. Actually. In fact, I'd nearly guarantee it.

So many disappointed to see the back of Pat. So many hooked on the soap, not the sport.

Yeah, tough day, guys.

I am not disappointed to see Pat go, I'm just sad we're now stuck with this British Cycling dude.

And you'd nearly guarantee Froome won't win the next 4 Tours? Seems sketchy.