• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What should Cookson do?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I am not disappointed to see Pat go, I'm just sad we're now stuck with this British Cycling dude.

And you'd nearly guarantee Froome won't win the next 4 Tours? Seems sketchy.

Well, in 100 odd yrs only Indurain has done 5 in a row. So 95% of tours have been won by s/o who didn't win 5 in a row. Merckx, Coppi, Lemond, Antiquil never managed it...so, I'm pretty confident, if you want to put some money on it, rather than just having a pout. Say a friendly 100 euro?

He should get Sylvia Schenck back, and make her the Chairperson of the ethics committee.

1. Former German cycling president blasts UCI’s handling of Armstrong case

2. Strong-minded Sylvia Schenk continues quest for Law & Order

..."It just cannot be that a Federation finances one of the candidates to the presidency, when there are in fact three candidates," Schenk told us. "That never happens anywhere. The other two candidates were not even given the addresses of the electoral delegates (for lobbying) whereas Verbruggen mailed all of them saying they should vote for McQuaid," she alleges. ...

3. Anti-corruption expert Schenk urges UCI to properly fund probe of its links to Armstrong case

There is nobody better qualified or more credible.

Dave.

martinvickers said:
Well, in 100 odd yrs only Indurain has done 5 in a row. So 95% of tours have been won by s/o who didn't win 5 in a row. Merckx, Coppi, Lemond, Antiquil never managed it...so, I'm pretty confident, if you want to put some money on it, rather than just having a pout. Say a friendly 100 euro?

However, Merckx didn't enter in '73, Anquetil didn't enter in '60 or '65 and Hinault crashed in '80 - all of which prevented potential 5s - extenuating circumstances rather than being beaten.

1. Independent anti doping organisation with increased funds from all stakeholders.
2. Fix the calendar, with limited overlapping of top races in same time zones
3. Fix the ranking system associated with the WT (transparency and more team friendly) licensing.
4. Coordinate better technology for race coverage (we need a common default platform such as the tracker including baseline streaming for all WT races)
5. Drive an anti doping culture at UCI forward.

martinvickers said:

I think it is certainly a possibility with Cookson in charge of the UCI.

Zam_Olyas said:
Orla Chennaoui ‏@SkyOrla 11h
Reports that Greece was offered €25,000 to back Cookson in UCI presidential race. We've seen proof that it was indeed the case

Comes pretty cheap if you ask me, but it

should be enough for a couple of these:

450px-METAXA_12_stars.JPG

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I think it is certainly a possibility with Cookson in charge of the UCI.

You really think Cookson is capable of fixing the result of the biggest race in the world for four successive years?

The guy can't even organise the British road calendar, or sort out British Cycling, and you honestly credit him the the ability to fix race winners.

EnacheV said:
Where does it say that it was a fake e-mail?

4) ALLEGATIONS RAISED CONCERNING BOUGHT VOTES FOR THE EXTRAORDINARY CONGRESS IN ZURICH

The last file that has reached the Ethics Commission was received on 25 September 2013 only. The three Vice-Presidents of the UCI forwarded an e-mail in which is stated that in order to receive around € 25’000.- “we had to vote for the Englishmen and we promised that, [we will try to persuade as many as possible countries from the Balkan countries to vote for the English candidate]. [...] I’ll travel to Italy in order to participate in the UCI Board meeting there I’ll meet with Mr Makarov, I will tell him of my support for the Englishman and I will ask him to sponsor the Tour of Hellas of 2014”. On Thursday afternoon, the Ethics Commission could talk to a member of the board of the Hellenic cycling federation who, as direct witness could confirm in writing the allegations raised. He also informed the commission that other members could confirm this but that at that moment he did not have the permission to disclose their identity. However it is our normal procedure to hear all parties concerned, which is not possible on such short notice. The Commission regrets of course but will continue to proceed on normal terms and at least wants to have the possibility to hear all parties which is for the aforementioned reasons impossible on such short term.

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Netserk said:
Where does it say that it was a fake e-mail?

what was the source of the email ? making it look like it was sent from Cookson camps is faking.

You could send that email to. Pat friends will forward it. Is it clear ? Im sure it was clear from the start though.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Stop the push for new races in China at the end of the season. And get rid of races like Beijing and put the money towards something like...

Direct more money and support towards the women's peloton. Support the races better and work on getting the coverage of women's racing up to the level of men's racing coverage.

Also direct more money towards preserving current established races.

More transparency. Reveal past misdealing's.

Make anti-doping independent.

TRENDING THREADS