• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What should Cookson do?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Galic Ho said:
Cookson? Still yet to see any evidence he is a white knight. Deserves a chance though. If womens cycling gets ignored and transparency is scrapped over, then he's just another dud.

Let's be fair to the guy. Imagine he tries for some broad target of more transparency. He'll have to convince national federations to be less corrupt and more transparent. Which, Thom Wiesel and Mike Plant certainly won't ever adopt.

As with most of Professional Cycling, hoping for changes, but won't be surprised or disappointed if nothing changes. It's Pro Cycling. It's like asking organized crime to just retire.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Let's be fair to the guy. Imagine he tries for some broad target of more transparency. He'll have to convince national federations to be less corrupt and more transparent. Which, Thom Wiesel and Mike Plant certainly won't ever adopt.

As with most of Professional Cycling, hoping for changes, but won't be surprised or disappointed if nothing changes. It's Pro Cycling. It's like asking organized crime to just retire.

You keep referring to Weisel being corrupt and then put it in to the present tense.

He was only relevant being in cahoots with Armstrong, that is long gone and his only current involvement is being busy with his lawyers.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:

Best description of the sport in a long time. Chapeau DW.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Cookson? Still yet to see any evidence he is a white knight. Deserves a chance though. If womens cycling gets ignored and transparency is scrapped over, then he's just another dud.

On the women's cycling issue, I think he's declared his intentions there quite early by appointing Tracey Gaudry as Vice President of the UCI, specifically because he said women's cycling needs a higher profile and more equality.

That's a good early sign (not conclusive by any means, but a step in the right direction).

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Or a tokenistic one - and if women's cycling doesn't develop he can say it was all her fault.

Seems there are serious questions to be answered about pre election bribes - not enough to say 'not my way of doing things'

Cookson is a talking machine, nothing more - cycling's Obama

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
Or a tokenistic one - and if women's cycling doesn't develop he can say it was all her fault.

Seems there are serious questions to be answered about pre election bribes - not enough to say 'not my way of doing things'

Cookson is a talking machine, nothing more - cycling's Obama

So Cookson appointed a lady to a senior position, so he can use her if they don't develop the womans side of the sport?
Seriously?

The "bribe" should be investigated - but I think it might reveal more about the 3 previous VPs of McQuaid than an actual bribe.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Cookson's MO isn't it? Appoint other people to do the job and provide the 'environment' for them to do it - handy scapegoat if things don't work out.

Still at least British Cycling now have a chance to get fixed - Brit presence at Worlds a joke, women's cycling under Cookson's presidency of BC has festered not developed

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
Cookson's MO isn't it? Appoint other people to do the job and provide the 'environment' for them to do it - handy scapegoat if things don't work out.
That is exactly what a President is meant to do.

Quick question for you.
Is the appointment of Gaudry a good thing for ladies cycling? Yes or no.

bianchigirl said:
Still at least British Cycling now have a chance to get fixed - Brit presence at Worlds a joke, women's cycling under Cookson's presidency of BC has festered not developed
Which country or federation is doing a better job at womans cycling?

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:

Tough love.

Don't comply then deny them access to World Tour Events if they have Pro Tour teams and ban them from the Worlds.

If the IOC did this to Jamaica, Russia and Turkey, do you think their anti-doping programs would be such a joke and the source of many laughs these past few months? You've gotta at least attempt to play ball.

So yeah...ban the Americans. Serves them right. It would force all the lackeys and hangers on to actually look at who was leading them and perhaps wake up and kick them to the curb.

People here should look up Capture Theory. It's exactly what Wiesel and the yanks did in the 80s and 90s. The Australian Accounting bodies did the same thing in the 90s too...it was stopped by regulation. But Americans don't know what that word means as a whole. Time to learn IMO. Regulation can only come with full authority from the head, the governing body. That's the UCI. Cookson has the charge to do that. If he doesn't then he's just another quack. Ball is in his court.

Like I said...tough love. Do the right thing for once.

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
1. Find money to test at least winners at smaller races (see JTL miracles from doped awesome to clean **** in 6 months)

2. Encourage federations to set up collaboration programs with universities for developing cheaper doping tests at least

3. Dig all the skeletons out, do the cleaning out of all who covered up stuff.

Phil Gill givin' it large to Cookie.

I would also like a to addres race organisers and the UCI. I hope the new UCI President is open to feelings that currently live among the riders. That alone would be quite a change, as well as a major step forward for the riders.

The way road cycling seasons are organised right now, the number of races and their levels of difficulty, it is all a bit much, if not wrong. All organisers want to have the race with most heighth difference, the longest climb, the steepest climb, the longest race... In short, their aim is to have something out of the ordinary for their own race so as to distinguish themselves from the others.

In a time where we all want to do away with doping more than ever before, there is a clear discrepancy between what the riders are able to manage and what is presented to us during races.

This year, I participated in races under extreme weather conditions. During Milan-Sanremo we suffered severe snow storms and in the Tour of California we had to endure temperatures of up to 50 degrees. For both these races, fans were urged to stay put at home and not to make unnecessary journeys. We, however, were urged to be offering the spectacle the audience was expecting from us, despite the clear and apparent risks to the health of an entire peloton. This is clearly too much, and it shows that through various associations within cycling, no clear vision, let alone appropriate pro-active intervention, has emerged so far.

And then I did not even mention the lengthy transfer journeys during stage races. These journeys go at the expense of the rest and recovery so desperately needed. Therefore, my question is rather simple: do we really need all those extreme circumstances? Does it not suffice already that riders simply go all out and themselves provide spectacle for all cycling enthusiasts?

http://philippegilbert.com/

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Has Cookson actually done anything yet? Or is this all about the perception/reality thing again?

Is Vaughters still claiming that cycling is 'cleaner'?

Vaughters has not come on here to answer anything in a long time.

Coockon called off the lawyers against Kimmage. But has not done anything towards Landis.

What do you do with a race like Milan San Remo its not like they haven't do this race for a hundred odd years, ok some climbs where added, but its not like brutal alpine passes

The weather is the weather, sometimes it will be good, others not so good, anyway get ready for worse with global warming.

roundabout said:
Pathetic. Using doping to hide his own deficiencies. A new low even for Gilbert. It's a wonder how this guy has any fans.

Totally disagree - good for Gilbert pointing out that..

I hope the new UCI President is open to feelings that currently live among the riders. That alone would be quite a change, as well as a major step forward for the riders.

The way road cycling seasons are organised right now, the number of races and their levels of difficulty, it is all a bit much, if not wrong. All organisers want to have the race with most heighth difference, the longest climb, the steepest climb, the longest race... In short, their aim is to have something out of the ordinary for their own race so as to distinguish themselves from the others.

In a time where we all want to do away with doping more than ever before, there is a clear discrepancy between what the riders are able to manage and what is presented to us during races....Therefore, my question is rather simple: do we really need all those extreme circumstances? Does it not suffice already that riders simply go all out and themselves provide spectacle for all cycling enthusiasts?

Absolutely ! with such ridiculous parcours - the riders are being pressured to dope to provide a 'spectacle' = money

http://philippegilbert.com/

Only words but have to say I am impressed.

These early days are very important for the UCI. We have embarked on the process of implementing our manifesto commitments so that we can re-establish our International Federation’s reputation and make it the best and most respected in the world. I believe that we have made a good start.

In Florence, the cycling family clearly demonstrated its desire for change. Not only in voting me as President, but also in electing three excellent Vice-Presidents, including the first woman to occupy this position, as well as a high-quality Management Committee. And we have quickly got down to work.

We have appointed most of the new Presidents of the UCI Commissions and I’m delighted to welcome them to their posts.

We have started the work of establishing a high level dialogue with WADA to plan how we will proceed with the independent investigation into the UCI’s past. We have also been making contact with other key stakeholders in this area, including USADA, other national anti-doping organisations and the French Sports Ministry. And earlier this week I called Paul Kimmage to tell him that the UCI has withdrawn from the legal action against him.

We have also confirmed the decision to revoke the age limit of 28 that existed for UCI Women’s Teams and to form a new Commission for women’s cycling to help facilitate the growth of women’s elite racing.

On the issue of UCI staffing, the day after the World Championships, one of my Vice-Presidents, Tracey Gaudry, and I travelled directly to Aigle to meet with the UCI staff and it was a pleasure to meet the many excellent and talented people at the UCI. However, some changes are needed and I can confirm that former Director General Christophe Hubschmid has left the UCI and that Antonio Rigozzi of Levy Kaufmann-Kohler is now assisting us as external legal counsel. I would like to thank Christophe for his contribution to the UCI and wish him well for the future. I would also like to thank our previous legal counsel Philippe Verbiest for his many years of hard work and commitment to the UCI.

Over the coming weeks I am looking forward to meeting with my friends and colleagues in the Olympic movement, including the new IOC President, Thomas Bach, and Rio 2016 President, Carlos Nuzman. And last week in Switzerland I met with Andrew Ryan, Executive Director of the Association of Summer Olympic International Federations.

An extraordinary Management Committee meeting will take place on 29 October where we shall assess our progress in implementing my Manifesto pledges and plan for the important period ahead of us. This meeting will be held at the UCI’s headquarters in order that the staff can meet the new Management Committee.

It’s been a busy time but very constructive and I am grateful to all the support I have received from the cycling family in setting out on this new path.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013...i-president-cookson-makes-more-changes_305478

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The weather is now the cause of doping? (Gilbert's monologue)

I still remember when ToC was in Feb. and everyone was up in arms about how it always rained in Cali in Feb. (not it only rained during the ToC every other week it was bone dry, hence the constant state of a water shortage or fear of wild fires) so what they change it to May. Guess what the weather still came back and said "oh yea don't like my rain here's some nice heat to bake you then", still unacceptable (by Gilbert). Sure the snow at MSR was very odd but if you can't race it then just quit and you won't be in that misery. Why didn't Gilbert pull a Fabian and null and void the race? It was dangerous so I'm sure he could of gotten everyone to stop racing it but no, race went on.

In the past the riders have instigated change but somehow these modern era riders are weak and just pawns. Maybe the race organizers can slip in the two stage days again, and no rest days in the GT's? Riders don't seem to mind or take up action so why not?