• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What should happen to Sky for getting food on Stage 18?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What should happen to Sky for illegally taking food?

• Both Porte and Froome should be 'penalised'

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
cineteq said:
It goes to show you that Froome is willing to cheat. Especially after his response, saying that technically he shouldn't have been penalized because he got fed from Porte.

If it's intentional or not, it should not matter. The rules are there to be respected. Teams must read the rules.

He is right technically but the race judges rightly punished him as well as Porte for who was benefiting. But it is not cheating. Feeding/drinking is allowed in a race just not in the final kms to prevent accidents. Typically if you feed earlier you wont need feeding later on.
Holding onto team cars or drafting in a TT is however cheating as it is not allowed in the entire race. Froome was already disqualified for holding onto the team car in the Giro. That shows that he may be willing to cheat but not this particular instance. Riding bonked or dehydrated is a very horrible experience.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
erniecohen said:
What I don't understand is why the peloton isn't much more upset with Sky for doing this. (Perhaps they are, but the media isn't talking about it.)

Seriously ?

Illegal drafting, hanging onto cars .. etc then fair enough, but eating ? (especially considering the circumstance that their team car had a mechanical issue when they did try to back for food.)

The fact that none of Froome's rivals are upset should tell you something about your own views ...

I can't believe this is even an issue !

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
deValtos said:
Seriously ?

Illegal drafting, hanging onto cars .. etc then fair enough, but eating ? (especially considering the circumstance that their team car had a mechanical issue when they did try to back for food.)

The fact that none of Froome's rivals are upset should tell you something about your own views ...

I can't believe this is even an issue !

Cheating is cheating. He might have lost 1 min more had he not eaten.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Cimber said:

Which was why they were penalized correctly by the rulebook. There's a reason the penalty is 20 seconds and has been for ... well as long as I can remember. If it was an issue you'd see other riders complaining but they're not.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Cimber said:

Isn't that just smart team management though? Sky knew that the worse punishment they could get, within the rules, would be the punishment that was handed to Froome and Porte versus possibly losing more time than they did which could have been a minute or more to Quintana. So in the end it is a simple matter of mathematics.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
darwin553 said:
Isn't that just smart team management though? Sky knew that the worse punishment they could get, within the rules, would be the punishment that was handed to Froome and Porte versus possibly losing more time than they did which could have been a minute or more to Quintana. So in the end it is a simple matter of mathematics.

Indeed it is, thats why the penalty should have been 1 min+.

Smart og not , its still cheating (clinic stuff is can also argued to be smart as long as you dont get caught)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
darwin553 said:
It would be nice if you could express this method of thinking in 'clinical thinking'.

Lets discuss this quote there.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
wwabbit said:
Apparently, Team Sky could have appealed against Froome's penalty but chose not. Obviously they are arrogant pr*cks thinking that Froome's buffer is too big for 20s to matter.

Well, his buffer is too big for 20 seconds to make that much of a difference. :eek:

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Under the current rules maybe both get a penalty. However It s a stupid rule. If we want a clean sport at least allow riders put a candy bar in their mouth at any point in the race rather than a needle in their a$$ at night. My thought here is along the same lines as JV's on the DQ of King earlier.

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
deValtos said:
Seriously ?

Illegal drafting, hanging onto cars .. etc then fair enough, but eating ? (especially considering the circumstance that their team car had a mechanical issue when they did try to back for food.) !

I don't know what kind of mechanical problem they could have had with the car; it's not like it stopped running or anything. But riders get screwed all the time because their team cars are not where they should be (e.g. Valverde).

The drafting and hanging onto cars is, I think, much more borderline, because riders do a little bit of it all the time (just not their own team cars).

Anyway, I'm not saying they shouldn't have used the standard penalty, but they should avoid having a standard penalty that invites athletes to break the rules. And the 200 franc fine is just embarrasing, given that's probably what they pay for hi tech toe clips.

having stood at the 4km to go sign from a mountain-top finish i can tell you that quite a lot of riders take drinks, some from people at the side of the road so i dont think its a big thing. Of more concern to me was the team car that came past at 30mph with a rider holding on. This was not someone in the autobus either, someone surprisingly high up. They were doing it for a long time but didnt get punished.

Boeing said:
Under the current rules maybe both get a penalty. However It s a stupid rule. If we want a clean sport at least allow riders put a candy bar in their mouth at any point in the race rather than a needle in their a$$ at night. My thought here is along the same lines as JV's on the DQ of King earlier.

In procycling, "feeding" doesn't mean eating. "Feeding" means taking food and water from Team Car or a Feed Station. Riders can eat and drink anytime they like but there are some restrictions when they can get food.

The rule to forbid feeding from team cars in the last 20km (usually less for mountains) came about because riders have been abusing the feeding by using the team car as a wind shield and to receive "sticky bottle" pushes to get an advantage.

Boeing said:

There's no rule against actually carrying extra gels in your pocket and eating them whenever you want is there? It isn't a rule against eating as far as I know, it's just a rule against getting more food from the team car?

TRENDING THREADS