• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What sunglasses do you wear?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
lostintime said:
Empty headed lightweight? Maybe so .... take a look in the mirror. We only see what we reflect.

Science isn't all knowing , no one is. We think because scientists say X .... we must believe them. Yeah ..... how about the FDA in the US..... how many times have they been wrong?

What has man done before the advent of sunglasses?

I'm saying make up your own mind, don't be cow and just go along because everyone else is doing it or believing it. When the mass belief is challenged, fear sets in . Attacks ensue ......that's the story of man. Weather the storm brother, but lashing out any makes it worse.

Soooo I take it from that response that you are not going to read any of the scientific reports on eye damage and tell us why they are bunkum? You would prefer to sit on the sidelines and just do a bit of anti-intellectual muck raking instead. Lightweight indeed. Mate I would just ignore you if your advice wasn't so dangerous. I just hope no-one else is convinced by your psuedo hippy logic.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
i have oakley radar and salice 006

the radar frame shape is more secure if you put them in your helmet, backwards etc but the salice look better imo

the oakley lenses are better than the salice

the salice are just so filthy euro and they cannot be denied

Basically just needed something to stop bugs hitting my face, it doesn't get too sunny here.

2vruc60.png

Catlike make the coolest stuff. Just need a Whisper now :D

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm about to upgrade the four year old BBB's to some Oakley Jawbones, some advice on lenses would be great.

I'm thinking G30 vented for overcast and cloudy cold days. And the standard Black Iridums for hot sunny days.

Thoughts?

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Night Rider said:
I'm about to upgrade the four year old BBB's to some Oakley Jawbones, some advice on lenses would be great.

I'm thinking G30 vented for overcast and cloudy cold days. And the standard Black Iridums for hot sunny days.

Thoughts?

That's a good combo choice. I have G30's for my Half Jackets and use often. VR28's are another nice contrast lens, a little darker than G30. Good contrast for cloudy days, but dark enough if sun comes out.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Night Rider said:

Thoughts?

Hi there. I'm an Oakley fanatic, BUT... I wonder if you have tried these glasses on. I have a pair, and while they are cool looking, I don't like the way the frame blocks my vision. M-Frames, and Radars have no bottom or side frame and don't block your vision in any direction. I don't wear my Jawbones riding anymore. I don't feel comfortable with them, in riding situations.:cool:

nowhereman said:
Hi there. I'm an Oakley fanatic, BUT... I wonder if you have tried these glasses on. I have a pair, and while they are cool looking, I don't like the way the frame blocks my vision. M-Frames, and Radars have no bottom or side frame and don't block your vision in any direction. I don't wear my Jawbones riding anymore. I don't feel comfortable with them, in riding situations.:cool:

all my Oakleys,except for the Factory Pilot's (original,with clear lenses also)
are rimless on the bottom. less clutter(no frame) works better IMO.
i like the Half Jacket and M-Frame. the M Frame is good for windy days. we get
those in SoCal.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
nowhereman said:

I tried both on and to be honest it was a hard decision, I was pretty much 50/50 as both styles suited my face shape. When I went in to try them on I thought I would come away with a firm favorite but both were equally good.

I may yet get the Radars.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Night Rider said:
I tried both on and to be honest it was a hard decision, I was pretty much 50/50 as both styles suited my face shape. When I went in to try them on I thought I would come away with a firm favorite but both were equally good.

I may yet get the Radars.

The Radars are my favorites. I wear contact lenses when I ride, and I never have to worry about wind in my eyes with the Range or the Pitch shaped lenses. In warmer winter weather I even ski with them, if I'm not going to wear Goggles. You won't be sorry if you pick the Radars.

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
nowhereman said:

I have a pair of Split Jackets (smaller version of Jawbone) on the way and considered this an issue, but made the leap anyway. I'll post thoughts when I put in some miles with them.

May 12, 2009
Visit site
I've been pretty happy with my Rudy's. They have some great web specials for glasses+helmet, etc.

On the UV front, pretty much any glass or plastic will block a pretty high percentage of UV. Glasses that advertise such protection typically are only buying you a few extra %, and there usually isn't any certification to back up that they are actually doing that.

However, it is a real potential threat. My dad, who spent a lot of time outdoors without glasses, got an ocular melanoma. Despite surgery to remove the eye with the tumor, it metatisized to his liver and killed him. While this is only one case, I did enough research at the time to be pretty well convinced that the UV issue is a real one.

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
for my taste i like to wear some really stylish clout goggles lol. They look really cool and when i bike ride i ride with style. the only down side of this is well it makes me look like Willy Wonka haha. if you guys don't know how they look like here is an example: <link removed by mods>

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Polyarmour said:
Has anyone had any experience with transitioning lenses? I'd like a set that go from perfectly clear to dark.

I wear transitional lenses for everyday use and occasionally for bike rides. If you are riding a route with longer tunnels then the glasses blind you on entering the tunnel.

In response to what kind of cycling glasses I use:
Used to use Dual glasses with close up reading section (great for reading computer or cell phone).
Now I use prescription Bolle glasses (cost around $300) - I like them although in cold weather I would prefer more wrap around.

I've got some Rudy Project photochromatic lenses that go from clear enough to ride in the middle of the night, in winter, in Glasgow and dark enough to wear in the Bekaa Valley in the middle of summer, probably one of the best bits of kit I have.

As Avanti mentioned, the transition can be a little slow when going from extremes, I've done some enduro type mountain biking in them and they struggled to change quickly between tree cover and open trails, but on the road bike I've found they're fine. Mine are a few years old now and I think some companies have made big improvements in transition times. Honestly, I don't see any downside to them.

Mrs 42x16ss has a pair of Rudy Projects, with prescription photochromatic lenses. They cost BIG $$ but she says that they’re the best piece of kit she’s ever owned. Even better than her bike. All I know is that her confidence has increased hugely thanks to them.

The lenses in the Oakleys she had before them delaminated after 12 months. The warranty replacement lenses only lasted another 6...

I only use an $80 pair of BBB sunglasses with replaceable lenses because I break and lose glasses all the time. After 8 months they’re going well. I just have to remember to bring the tinted lens if I leave home in the dark.

There are a lot of good sunglasses on the market today, a person can find high quality glasses for less than $300 too. Technology on lens making is far better than 20 years ago and a set of $75 glasses will meet the optical purity of a set of $300 ones. And since all sunglasses for cycling the lens are made of plastic they are very susceptible to scratching so buy a pair that have replaceable lenses because you'll be replacing them. I did something a bit different since I got tired of scratches, I went to Costco and my vision checked so i could get a pair of glasses on discount through work, my eyesight was 20/20 so they corrected it to 15/20 which allowed me to get the Transitions DriveWear glasses, these glasses are the best sunglasses I've ever owned and the scratch resistant coating is superior to regular sunglasses, I wear these on bright days, on cloudy/hazy days I wear my Tifosi Fototec glasses which are due for lens replacement, but these are very good glasses, when I compared them to Oakly I could see no difference in visual purity, the Tifosi cost as much as an Oakly lens replacement, and the Tifosi lens replacement is about 1/2 of what Oakly replacements cost. At night I simply wear a pair of clear safety glasses I get at home improvement places (I do have to check several different kinds since the cheap ones tend to visually distort things especially at the sides). I have another pair of dark (they start out dark and get darker) photo polorized glasses I bought years ago from Bolle that were supreme at resisting scratches and supreme at sun protection (I lived in the desert so having very dark glasses was essential for me), those were made of some sort of laminate glass lens that was highly scratch resistent, I can't count the number of times those things fell and hit rocks etc and never even a pit, but I can no longer find those anywhere or I would have bought those again, the frames got too stretched out over the years to stay on my face while riding, so I use them when I'm fishing on very bright days because those are darker then the ones I got from Costco, but where I live now in Indiana the brightness of a normal day isn't as intense as it was in the desert so the Costco glasses work plenty good enough for riding and driving.

I just don't think, after trying many different brands, that the expensive ones aren't worth the money, they are only worth the money if you want style points.

Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
An old pair of my prescription glasses if there is not strong sunlight, and a £3.99 pair from Aldi over the top if I think sunglare might be an issue. Spending any more, IMHO, is pure vanity.

Polarised lens and UV protection should be minimum requirements before purchase!! Fashion?? What Eva....

Me:- RayBan, Bolle and a sweet set of Rudy's with 4 interchangeable lenses for the conditions.

Polarized lens is not necessary unless you plan on riding your bike on water, but for cycling it's not needed, in fact wearing polorized glasses while riding could make it impossible to read your bike computer. Despite popular theory, polarized lenses don’t represent significantly increased UV protection. Is having polorized glasses a bad idea for cycling, no, it just isn't necessary, but it won't hurt anything either.

Re:

froze said:
Polarized lens is not necessary unless you plan on riding your bike on water, but for cycling it's not needed, in fact wearing polorized glasses while riding could make it impossible to read your bike computer. Despite popular theory, polarized lenses don’t represent significantly increased UV protection. Is having polorized glasses a bad idea for cycling, no, it just isn't necessary, but it won't hurt anything either.
I have polarised lenses for my Oakleys and I really like them on sunny days. They make colours more vibrant and enhance contrast and reduce glare. No, they aren't necessary of course, but I still prefer them to equivalent non-polarised tints.

TRENDING THREADS