• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What to buy??...Visiting Philadelphia / New York in March from Europe

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Going on a few days holidays to the above two cities in March. I am looking for advice on Bikeshops to visit. I am being told gear is cheaper in the united states than europe. I Wouldnt mind stocking up on clothes etc? and maybe wheels. (Mavic SL's) What would you reccommed me doing or buying? Looking forward to your thoughts

Thanks...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Breakaway in Philly is a good shop, as well as Bicycle Therapy(they are close to each other, just a few blocks away), Cadence in the Manyunk section of the city has a great selection of clothes and gear. Guy's is not in Philly, about 30 miles north of center city. There is a shop just outside of Philly, about 5-10 miles or so on the "Main Line" called CyclesBiKyle...one of the best bike fitters in the world owns the shop.

To bad you are not here in May, you could go to the Trexlertown Velodrome, bike swap meet and get good gear for cheap.

If you have a bike with you, check out the bicycle club of philadelphia's website, and join us for some good rides leaving out of downtown Philadelphia.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Just remember that if you buy in store in the US you have state sales tax, while with online you do not

I still think the UK is a bit cheaper ex tax, but the specials are better in the US