• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What would be worse for cycling?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Would it be worse for cycling if Contador or Froome win this year's tour?

• Froome

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I vote for Froome, becouse in the future will be seen as the change in cycling, He is clean.
Contador now is clean, but he means the past.
But anyway, the best must win, whoever would be

The problem is for now, lot of people (maybe not so many) think that Froome is a dopper, so, for that reason could be bad for cycling, at least forn forums.

But this sport must do the proper things, not just to worry for followers that didnt know anything about inside cycling.

Truth will be known

Contador looks normal these days. Froome and his band of extraterrestrials look like they just stepped out of the hot tub time machine from 2002. If the anachronisms win then it is hard to convince people we are not right back where we were a decade ago.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
I think that, after Contador's positive leaked and the UCI realized they couldn't save him, he became "damaged goods", PR-wise. Around that time, the UCI started to talk up Andy, but he didn't have what it takes. Therefore, I believe Contador is a regular rider right now, without any special protection or official sanction, unlike Froome, and thus Froome's victory would be worse.

Meaning you think we are already in the WWW/WWE stage of "sport". Hm. Ok. You could be right, but this child doesn't think so.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
I think that, after Contador's positive leaked and the UCI realized they couldn't save him, he became "damaged goods", PR-wise. Around that time, the UCI started to talk up Andy, but he didn't have what it takes. Therefore, I believe Contador is a regular rider right now, without any special protection or official sanction, unlike Froome, and thus Froome's victory would be worse.

I agree with hrotha. Plus, while with one hand the UCI appeared to be trying to protect Contador, who's to say the other hand didn't have hold of the knife in his back? Yeah, I've heard the UCI wasn't responsible for the extraordinary testing AC's sample was subjected to; but that doesn't mean, necessarily, they weren't somehow complicit in it. In fact, it would be out of character for them if they weren't. Especially since they were still taking their marching orders from "the boss" - Contador's sworn enemy.

Given the UCI is still running the show, in any event, Froome is a shoe-in for the win, if he can stay on his bike.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I think the poll is pointless because it really seems at this point that the outcome of the TdF is already set for this year and the name on the top step is not Spanish.

The UCI have already cashed the cheques for this year.

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Maxiton said:
I agree with hrotha. Plus, while with one hand the UCI appeared to be trying to protect Contador, who's to say the other hand didn't have hold of the knife in his back? Yeah, I've heard the UCI wasn't responsible for the extraordinary testing AC's sample was subjected to; but that doesn't mean, necessarily, they weren't somehow complicit in it. In fact, it would be out of character for them if they weren't. Especially since they were still taking their marching orders from "the boss" - Contador's sworn enemy.

Given the UCI is still running the show, in any event, Froome is a shoe-in for the win, if he can stay on his bike.

Most recently, the UCI sent DiLuca's sample to Cologne, the lab leading the development of drug testing. Contador's sample was sent there as well. Both samples were screened by new, state of the art tests. What and/or where have you heard that the UCI wasn't responsible for the extraordinary testing of AC's sample?

The topic of your "marching orders" comment is something that interests me a lot. If you accept that a rider can avoid detection with the assistance of the governing bodies, it only stands to reason that you could get rid of a competitor with the same assistants.

DiLuca was turned in to WADA by the police. What started the report, who knows? Contador? He most likely was caught by a new, more accurate test, but not every (his may have been the only) sample was sent to Cologne.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
If Froome wins it will be the death knell of panache.

Oh and he might be doping.

Contador wins panache wins.

And he is probably is doping. Or at least has cheated extensively in the past.

But panache is panache! Viva panache!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:

Since you are near damn convinced of Sky being clean yet they hired a doping doctor and others with dark doping pasts how do you categorize minute levels of Clenbuterol in Contadors urine as extensive cheating or do you know more than the 1 failed test for minute levels of a banned substance?

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:

You need to go to the skybot training camp in Tenerife and work on your trolling before the tour

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Contador wins, people will see it as confirmation that you can't win in cycling without doping.
Froome wins, people will see it as proof that the dirty teams are still the ones winning.

So pretty much the same result for how cycling will be seen by people no matter what. One result is not worse than the other. All we can hope for, whatever the outcome, is we get some exciting racing heading towards that outcome.

Netserk said:
What changed at UCI from 2005 to 2012?

If you have a way to catch cheaters thinks change a lot. But in general have changed the environment.

Of course I understand people dont rely on UCI, even I dont , but things have changed.

It could sound as amazing or very stupid of me, but this UCI it the organism that have made more for antidoping in the history of antidoping in sport.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
What would be worse for cycling, or what would be worse for the Clinic.

Worst for the clinic would be Contador. They would have nothing to talk about. :rolleyes:

I vote Vino

DirtyDennis

BANNED
Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Really you'd have to say a Contador win would be worse for cycling. Old guard, convicted doper, omertist, ridiculous excuse-maker, Fuentes client, and somebody who benefitted from attempts by cycling establishment to shut down the doping case.

Its unfair to accuse Froome of any of the above. There's nothing concrete.

And yet, Froome makes me decidedly nervous. Whereas the Contador of 2013 is looking human.

Froome or Contador?

Its what the British call a Morton's Fork.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
....Tour's getting close isn't it..... :rolleyes: ...

What's worse for cycling?? Froome winning because it means that the USPostal model has been dragged kicking and screaming into 2013 with the new UKPostal title, a new protected hero and team with a probable new UCI President to cover it all up ... nothing new then.

Siriuscat said:
....Tour's getting close isn't it..... :rolleyes: ...

What's worse for cycling?? Froome winning because it means that the USPostal model has been dragged kicking and screaming into 2013 with the new UKPostal title, a new protected hero and team with a probable new UCI President to cover it all up ... nothing new then.

I really don't get your logic here, Froome the new protected hero?

logic

del1962 said:
I really don't get your logic here, Froome the new protected hero?

there is no logic..................it is human nature to match current events to

previous experience............the human mind is hot wired that way to

increase processing speed

i would hope for something more creative from those touting conspiracy

theories

Mark L

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Since you are near damn convinced of Sky being clean yet they hired a doping doctor and others with dark doping pasts how do you categorize minute levels of Clenbuterol in Contadors urine as extensive cheating or do you know more than the 1 failed test for minute levels of a banned substance?

Oops yes sorry, my bad, Contador has ridden clean his entire career and the clen was from contaminated steak. Contador for the win!

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Froome, by a mile, because Sky has the ability to turn a beautiful sport into something boring and completely uninteresting. Contador, on the other hand, is an entertainer like Vino.

Sky tactics is a bigger threat to cycling than doping.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
Oops yes sorry, my bad, Contador has ridden clean his entire career and the clen was from contaminated steak. Contador for the win!

Not his point, it was never proven that Contador took doping just like with Froome but still you consider that contador is doped.

That's very fair to think of course, but why not with Froome? Spectacular progression and worked with Leinders. What are your exact standards for being considered a doper?