• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What would you do if you were Lance?

May 30, 2010
Visit site
What do we expect Lance to do? If we accept that he has doped where can he go from here? I have no time for the guy but I do wonder what we expect him to do other than deny, deny, deny.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
grimsbychris said:
What do we expect Lance to do? If we accept that he has doped where can he go from here? I have no time for the guy but I do wonder what we expect him to do other than deny, deny, deny.

He needs to fess up that he started roids and more at Plano Swim Club and never let up.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
grimsbychris said:
top myself

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
all he can do is say he is clean get tested as much as he can and hope every one believes him..

Have to say I do believe him, there is know way he could/would build his whole career on lies when he is so out spoken about drugs, does any one remember this nike ad he clearly states what he is on, he bike 6hrs busting his ****

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIl5RxhLZ5U

:)

May 15, 2009
Visit site
BrindSurch said:
there is know way he could/would build his whole career on lies when he is so out spoken about drugs)

I almost fell off my chair reading that.

Good bit of light hearted comedy on a Sunday morning.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
BrindSurch said:
Have to say I do believe him, there is know way he could/would build his whole career on lies when he is so out spoken about drugs

Hmmm... I have never heard LA being outspoken against drugs. Maybe I have just not paid attention close enough?

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
grimsbychris said:

Not compete in the Tour because of 'lack of form', organize a good farewell charity race and then retire as a racer. He can manage Radioshack, his companies and fund and do PR work.

Start cooperating with USADA and the FDA. Because it's the right thing to do.

Start working with my PR firm to concoct some sort of confession and spin it however possible to make it sound not as bad as it is.

"Everyone in cycling dopes. It sucks, and is filled with lies, but that's the way it is, and was before I got into the sport. Others doped more than I ever did. I used EPO just like when I had cancer, it's not bad for you in low doses. HGH isn't bad for you in small doses either. I did these always under doctor supervision. I'm sorry, and sorry the whole thing stinks, but I'm being honest. I will now retire and quietly commit the rest of my life to helping cancer patients."

There would be a howl of protest across the cycling world, but he might be able to at least absorb some of it and not end up in prison, humiliated, and a total pariah. And if he did quietly fade away, and after some time visited local cancer patients who forgave him, he could slowly build some of his reputation back.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
"Everyone in cycling dopes. It sucks, and is filled with lies, but that's the way it is, and was before I got into the sport. Others doped more than I ever did. I used EPO just like when I had cancer, it's not bad for you in low doses. HGH isn't bad for you in small doses either. I did these always under doctor supervision. I'm sorry, and sorry the whole thing stinks, but I'm being honest. I will now retire and quietly commit the rest of my life to helping cancer patients."

I disagree he's obligated to say such a thing, or even that it is wise. With most all other Tour winners being able to live their lives quietly and comfortably, Armstrong doesn't have to be an exception, in spite of the deceits he has perpetrated on his fans. There is no convincing reason to expect more of him than of, say, Indurain or Merckx. I may like Indurain more, but that should play no role.

If he's able to save his dignity, the good parts of his charity and the financial interests that depend on him (like other people's jobs), most solutions are fine with me. Note that I don't believe riding the Tour this year will achieve those aims.

grimsbychris said:
What do we expect Lance to do?

what i EXPECT is more sh*tdribbling attacks on anyone who speaks against him, and more "prove it" carry on while he tries to keep himself known as "The Greatest Sporting Comeback in History", all while raking in millions...

what I WANT to see is him exposed as the Greatest Sporting Fraud in History and go down faster than a bride's knickers on her wedding night

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Wow! Are people actually advocating someone else go and commit suicide? And we think it is the person on the recieving end of that barb that has the problem? Seriously?

What does Lance have to do? Nothing.

Whether lance bashers like it or not, you have to PROVE that he doped. Nothing in Floyd's accussations are backed by a shread of proof. There is no, "just accept it!," you have to prove it.

Tellingly, all the riders Floyd accussed now have 'open' investigations on them, and not a single rider has been pulled from competition. Not one.

In the meantime, Floyd is off his team and his team may fold entirely. It is doubtful that any team is going to pick up Floyd ever again after this episode.

And this is not omerta - that is consequence.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
gree0232 said:
Wow! Are people actually advocating someone else go and commit suicide?

Certainly not. I am answering the question "What would you do if you were Lance".

I don't think I would be able to sleep at night.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
HL2037 said:
Certainly not. I am answering the question "What would you do if you were Lance".

I don't think I would be able to sleep at night.

I don't think think sleeping is the issue.

Remember, this is apparently an evil genius that has singularly defeated the entire anti-doping establishment for over a decade now.

And being an evil genius, he looks at what Floyd has, laughs nefariously, and heads off to take a nap.

If I were Lance, I would continue denying that I doped even when confronted with someone else's testimony or evidence to the contrary. That's based on what little I know about Lance personally (which comes from a mixture of personal interviews and reading his deposition) and his past actions.

Publicus said:
If I were Lance, I would continue denying that I doped even when confronted with someone else's testimony or evidence to the contrary. That's based on what little I know about Lance personally (which comes from a mixture of personal interviews and reading his deposition) and his past actions.

I like the Armstrong "I think Floyd is innocent" rountine which has now turned into "Floyd has been lying all this time and written books about being innocent. You can't trust him".

Pot kettle black.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
"...I used EPO just like when I had cancer, it's not bad for you in low doses. HGH isn't bad for you in small doses either..."

I sure hope a PR firm would not allow him to say this since it condones his past use and it opens the door to kids and other athletes to use these drugs if they think they are using them in small doses.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Then why is Lance still riding without sanction?

Accussation without proof is just creative writing - some better than others - but that does not get us to the point where LA will be sanctioned does it?

Every single challenge that has been brought to LA has been beaten when it goes before an adjudicative authority - every single one.

You cannot simply dump the accussation and declare 'proof' when you ignore the rebuttal. So what is the rebuttal to your story, and how does the story simply negate the rebuttal?

Interestingly enough, I see Levi, Lance & Trek, and BMC in the adverts as I write this - I think I can clearly see where the proof lead - and it was certainly not to a doping conviction.

BTW, here is a very short rebuttal to this well known accussation:

http://www.tdfblog.com/2006/06/thoughts_on_the.html

Notice the bottom line:

"The report suggests very strongly that WADA chose to urinate all over its own WADA Code (PDF link) in order to plant suspicion that Lance Armstrong doped. It did this even with the foreknowledge that the “evidence” thus generated rose barely above the level of innuendo, and couldn't be used as evidence in a real doping inquiry. That's pretty much the definition of a smear campaign."

So Lance should be worried because people keep bringing up the same already debunked accussations? RIIIGGGHHHTT.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Jonathan said:
I disagree he's obligated to say such a thing, or even that it is wise. With most all other Tour winners being able to live their lives quietly and comfortably, Armstrong doesn't have to be an exception, in spite of the deceits he has perpetrated on his fans. There is no convincing reason to expect more of him than of, say, Indurain or Merckx. I may like Indurain more, but that should play no role.

If he's able to save his dignity, the good parts of his charity and the financial interests that depend on him (like other people's jobs), most solutions are fine with me. Note that I don't believe riding the Tour this year will achieve those aims.

Indurain and Merckx were running around NY, South Beach, and God knows where else with their Hollywood buddies, nailing skeezers?

TRENDING THREADS