• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Whatever happened to...?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A few oldies, Roberto Lezaun, won his first ever race as a pro 1991 Ruta del Sol, was all downhill after that.

Heinrich Trumheller, a Russian/German, turned pro in 1992. Finished 6th in debut Tour of Switzerland a few weeks short of his 20th Birthday, including 2nd on a stage to King Kelly. Then won the German Road Race title a week later and had several other Top 10s in races in his first year as a pro. Touted as a future star, made the bad decision to join a French team and his career quickly went off the tracks.

Ivan Quaranta, Italian sprinter from early 2000s who beat Super Mario at the Giro more than once and was expected to take over from Cipo, but never happened and instead Petacchi took over the mantle.

I'll never forget Quaranta, "The Cheetah," getting dropped on a "hill" in the last few KMs of a Giro stage that would not have winded a Fred.

For a couple Giri, he did indeed have Cipo's number, though.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Jay McCarthy? I'm not sure he has recovered from the knee injury and is he without a team?
Jay is back to normal training but without a contract. He was in the last year of his contract with Bora when he crashed and they already had a stack of punchy classics guys going forward.

Hopefully he gets another ride, he's one of the very best Ardennes domestiques around when on form.

Having just made him a (quickly recognised) subject in the 'Guess Who?' thread, what happened to Matthew Goss. MSR winner and WC silver at 24, then lots of good podiums but few wins the next year, then slid rapidly downwards, out of WT at 28 and retired at 30.

I can't remember:injury, illness or just lost motivation when 24 was his peak?

• Wow
Having just made him a (quickly recognised) subject in the 'Guess Who?' thread, what happened to Matthew Goss. MSR winner and WC silver at 24, then lots of good podiums but few wins the next year, then slid rapidly downwards, out of WT at 28 and retired at 30.

I guess riding in teams with Cavendish and then the emerging talents of Matthews and Ewan he was always overshadowed a bit. Had a fairly good run in 2012 and early 2013 though.

Didn’t he get injured in 2013 or 2014? Then results wise, after HTC collapse he picked to race the races Cav, Greipel, Sagan, and Kittel were taking part in as well making results hard to come by though he did beat 3 of them on a stage in TA. Then was overshadowed by Matthews and Ewan the later years.

In this interview he says he had trouble with the burden of leadership after his good year(s). Next to that some crashes weren't optimal either.

I guess riding in teams with Cavendish and then the emerging talents of Matthews and Ewan he was always overshadowed a bit. Had a fairly good run in 2012 and early 2013 though.
He won a Giro stage in 2012 and was a few better timed bike throws away from a couple of Tour stage wins too. Add a 50/50 relegation and he should have been even closer to green than he was already.

2013 was when the rot started, a real shame because he was a serious talent.

Whatever happened to Roberto Ferrari?

He grew an impressive mop of hair:

roberto-ferrari-2019.jpg

and then he retired!

And, of course, Sinkewitz and Santambrogio.

Not much mystery there, but that's a discussion for another sub-forum.