• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What's better at the tour?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
^^what he said. :D

It depends on the rider too. For Voeckler for example, wearing yellow and keeping it as long as possible would probably be best. But for a sprinter like Cav or Greipel, they would probably prefer to win a bunch of stages.

As for TTT, the good thing about a winning it is you share the victory with your teammates more then winning any other way. Which is great. Of course winning a road stage you get to throw your arms up. I'd say they're just as good overall.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Winning a Stage and especially if they beat a rider(s) in their specialty and not the winners specialty, also in a stage where they are all going for it and not where the stage is being given due to other jersey shenanigans.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
The yellow jersey before the first true mountain stage is just a game of musical chairs. If you can take yellow after that, it becomes a lot more important esp if you are somewhat well rounded as a rider where you'll be able to hold onto the jersey for longer.

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
In terms of prestige I would say:

Yellow Jersey > Stage > Green / Polka Dot Jersey > White Jersey

but stages give UCI WorldTour points.

And if a rider is interested in money, Lanterne Rouge is good since they can earn lots of €€€ at post-tour criteriums. :)

I think a stage win will surely be more satisfying rather than simply wearing yellow coz someone else performed badly...or winning in a TTT. 10 years down the line in your career people would probably remember you winning a stage rather than simply wearing the yellow jersey without winning a stage...

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Pulpstar said:
I think Yellow -> Green -> Stage -> Polka Dots -> White

Especially this year. Sagan simply crushing every other sprinter in points is a sign of his excellence. Cav or another might win more stages than Sagan throughout the three weeks, but he'll be on the podium with the other jerseys, representing speed.

I imagine it wouldn't be anywhere near as sweet without at least one stage victory.