• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What's Frankie Dettori on?

He's a flat jockey so almost certainly a diuretic. Weight problems have beset a number of jockeys over the years and as they get older it is harder for them to keep their weight down. On the flat every once counts.

Or if like Kieron Fallon it'll be coke.

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Testing in England seems pretty lax. Once a year jockeys get a breath and urine test by the racing authorities.

Edit- As an aside, that day where he won every race on the card at Ascot was named "The Magnificent Seven"

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
The Godolphin/Dettori relationship was already deteriorating before he took the ride for Coolmore. It will be interesting to see if he ends up as Coolmore's unofficial number 1 next season if he isn't suspended. O'Brien's kid won't be able to fight the weight forever and they'll be looking elsewhere.

I doubt we'll ever get the full story on what lead to the split, but it may simply be an age thing. For whatever reason, often jockeys as they hit around the 40yo mark get the sh*ts, by that I mean fear starts to creep in. You can see it in their riding, less risks, don't take advantage of splits, don't take runs that are there, runs they would have taken earlier in their career. You see it over and over again with jockeys. Whether it's an age when you start thinking about your own mortality or something, or one fall too many, it's hard to pinpoint. In saying that though, the racing isn't anywhere near as tight in England and Europe as it is here in Australia, and I haven't seen much footage of Frankie's rides to see if this has been a factor.

jamiephillips said:
Testing in England seems pretty lax. Once a year jockeys get a breath and urine test by the racing authorities.

The above I find astounding. Our jockeys get tested regularly, both on course during racing and the stewards also conduct random drug tests of both licenced jockeys and trackriders at trackwork. Word spreads like wildfire when the stewards turn up at trackwork but they get a few. It's pretty hard to hide if they wait for you to come off after working a horse. :)

How often are horses tested in England? We test all Group 1 runners as they arrive on course, an additional 5+ runners from each race get randomly tested as they arrive. All race winners get tested post-race and the stewards can turn up and conduct random tests and inspections at the stables whenever they want. Over the recent carnival, tubing equipment was found with horses on race morning during random inspections.

In additon, for races such as the Melbourne Cup, the runners have a security guard with them for 24 hours leading up to the race so it s impossible for them to receive any illegal treatment in this time. The guards are employed by the racing club and report back what they see. Does anything like this happen in England?

As an aside, another article that may be of interest. Even the horses are following in Lance's footsteps! (I remember one vet who had a sealed box in his car marked ">insert name of trainer< vitamins". Yeah right, vitamins! LOL!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...al-to-hit-tracks/story-e6frf7kx-1226514337922

Jalina said:
The Godolphin/Dettori relationship was already deteriorating before he took the ride for Coolmore. It will be interesting to see if he ends up as Coolmore's unofficial number 1 next season if he isn't suspended. O'Brien's kid won't be able to fight the weight forever and they'll be looking elsewhere.

I think that is going to be Jamie Spencer. I'd like to see Joseph O'Brien have a go over the fences. Like you say, he's too tall to stay too light

Avoriaz said:
I think that is going to be Jamie Spencer. I'd like to see Joseph O'Brien have a go over the fences. Like you say, he's too tall to stay too light

won't be Spencer. he has already taken the job with Sheikh Fahad Al Thani. Think they will try and get another year out of Jospeh and then go after Ryan Moore.

TRENDING THREADS