• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What's this, Contador caused the split?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Contador caused split, says Le Mervel

Cavendish wins as Lance strikes a blow
A dramatic racing incident that has put seven-time champion Lance Armstrong within sight of the race's yellow jersey has been blamed, ironically, on Alberto Contador.
Contador, the 2007 champion who is Armstrong's teammate at Astana, was among a handful of big yellow jersey contenders to lose time on the race's windswept third stage on Monday won by Britain's Mark Cavendish.

Cavendish's Columbia team had increased their pace to such an extent near the end of the 196km ride from Marseille that, after a right-hand bend, an unexpected split left 29 riders in the front.

The rest were left behind and they battled hard to limit the damage before trailing in 41secs behind Cavendish and Armstrong, who moved up seven places from 10th to third overall at 40secs behind Fabian Cancellara.

After the stage Frenchman Christophe Le Mevel claimed it was Contador's failure to stick to the wheel in front of him which caused the split with around 30km to go.

"When the split happened I was right on (behind) Contador's wheel," said the Francaise des Jeux rider.

"If it's true there were 29 guys in front he must have been 30th and I was 31st. It was him who caused the split."

With the peloton reaching speeds in excess of 60km/h on the Tour, adverse wind conditions make sticking on wheels vital - and a task that no serious contender can miss.

Once a gap opens up, it is almost impossible to close - as Columbia showed on Monday when they quickly distance a peloton of around 150 riders.

"I saw the gap opening up just in front of us and we just couldn't close it," added Le Mevel, who came over the line with the main bunch at 41secs in arrears.

"With a lot of leaders stuck, it was complete panic."

While Contador began the day in second place overall and was considered Astana's official yellow jersey challenger, this incident will raise doubts as to whether he is indeed up to the job.

Armstrong, who steadfastly refuses to rule himself out of aiming for an eighth Tour de France crown, appeared to make a veiled reference to Contador's slip when he held court at Astana's team bus.

"It wasn't that they didn't take advantage. It was just that they weren't there," he said when asked why the other favourites failed to follow.

"When you see what the wind is doing and you have a turn (bend) coming up, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out you have to go to the front.

"I've won the Tour de France seven times, so it makes no sense not to be there."

A defiant Contador later claimed he simply got caught but he did not want to read too much into the end result.

"When the split happened I was riding up to the front with a team-mate and then I ended up in no man's land," he said.

"So it was better to wait. Ahead, Columbia were very well organised."

He added: "I do not want to evaluate the tactics of the team, everyone can come to his own conclusions.

"Anyway, the Tour is not going to be decided with that has happened today."

Thinking about this, Menchov is another guy who seems to be on the wrong side of these types of splits.

Contador real comments hidden behind those he gave are "I can't believe Armstrong realistically think he has a chance of winning over me because he gained a big whopping 40 seconds on me, but if he wants the spotlight, he is more then welcomed to have it."

Carl0880 said:
Thinking about this, Menchov is another guy who seems to be on the wrong side of these types of splits.

Contador real comments hidden behind those he gave are "I can't believe Armstrong realistically think he has a chance of winning over me because he gained a big whopping 40 seconds on me, but if he wants the spotlight, he is more then welcomed to have it."

He definitely isn't sweating it. I think he is biding his time until the race enters more favorable territory this week and in the third week (I predict barring a crash, he wins at Ventoux).

Publicus said:
He definitely isn't sweating it. I think he is biding his time until the race enters more favorable territory this week and in the third week (I predict barring a crash, he wins at Ventoux).

Before the Tour started I thought different. I though that Astana planned would be to make Contador the leader, but expecting Contador to be well in yellow on the Ventoux, give Lance the freedom to attack on Ventoux to win the stage. Ventoux is the one mountain Lance has not won on, and the one he has had many regrets. So as a gift for help Contador win, he would be given the opportunity to take the one stage he truly desires.

With what happened today, I am not sure anymore what to think.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I think either their team is imploding before our very eyes and LA is a total tool. Or Johan and LA are brilliant tacticians that are using the media and all other teams to their advantage by creating a fake rift in the team to secure the win and as many top ten finishes as possible for Astana.
Who knows though. This is pretty interesting to watch though just so that AC ends up winnning of course. :)

Carl0880 said:
Before the Tour started I thought different. I though that Astana planned would be to make Contador the leader, but expecting Contador to be well in yellow on the Ventoux, give Lance the freedom to attack on Ventoux to win the stage. Ventoux is the one mountain Lance has not won on, and the one he has had many regrets. So as a gift for help Contador win, he would be given the opportunity to take the one stage he truly desires.

With what happened today, I am not sure anymore what to think.

That all can play out. There is a long way between today and Stage 20. Anything can and will happen. The attacks are coming from the GC contenders on Friday AND Saturday (which no one seems to talk about)

MonkeyKnifeFight said:
I think either their team is imploding before our very eyes and LA is a total tool. Or Johan and LA are brilliant tacticians that are using the media and all other teams to their advantage by creating a fake rift in the team to secure the win and as many top ten finishes as possible for Astana.
Who knows though. This is pretty interesting to watch though just so that AC ends up winnning of course. :)
Yeah, forget winning, forget the podium, Bruyneel wants to "conquer France". He wants the top 4. Cantador, Armstrong, Levi and Kloden.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
There were actually three Astana riders together at the VERY front of split. I could not make out who they were, by process of elimination, it was three of Kloden, Levi, Contador and one of the domestiques (but not 25 or 28)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Costly Contador

I don't think Contador will be a very popular man in the peleton at the moment. Him causing the split shows others he can't ride in the crosswinds. I personally think this a bad situatuion for Contador as Armstrong is the top rider for Astana:(. Columbia was riding on the front of the split and then Armstrong called Zubeldia and Popo to ride on the front. I think Contador would have wanted to chase and the real winner out of the real contenders is Armstrong:(. I am surprised that Denis Menchov din't put Rabobank up the front to chase and neither did Carlos sastre. Garmin and Lotto put riders up front to work and Saxo Bank put riders up to chase but not as hard due to having Cancellara in the split.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I don't think Contador will be a very popular man in the peleton at the moment. Him causing the split shows others he can't ride in the crosswinds. I personally think this a bad situatuion for Contador as Armstrong is the top rider for Astana:(. Columbia was riding on the front of the split and then Armstrong called Zubeldia and Popo to ride on the front. I think Contador would have wanted to chase and the real winner out of the real contenders is Armstrong:(. I am surprised that Denis Menchov din't put Rabobank up the front to chase and neither did Carlos sastre. Garmin and Lotto put riders up front to work and Saxo Bank put riders up to chase but not as hard due to having Cancellara in the split.

I don't think the peloton cares at all. Really, who in the front group is a legitimate GC contender? Kirchen, Rogers, Armstrong, Cancellara...no on all of them.

All of the real GC contenders were in the 2nd group, so no one gained or lost any time today.

auscyclefan94 said:
I thought Saxo-Bank was riding for Brother Andy and not for Cancellara. He still would have had the yellow Jersey towards the end. The fact that Rabobank and Cervelo didn't put men on the front could be an indication that they don't believe Lance is the man for the final GC.
Just a thought.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
ndpuck said:
I don't think the peloton cares at all. Really, who in the front group is a legitimate GC contender? Kirchen, Rogers, Armstrong, Cancellara...no on all of them.

All of the real GC contenders were in the 2nd group, so no one gained or lost any time today.
You may be right, but apart from Canc, all of the others will be up there, and the fact that they have moved up, will possibly affect some of the tactics in the race. If Kirchen or Rogers stay high on GC, then Columbia will defend which could inadvertently keep LA up there as well, making it hard for Contador to take time.

I just like the fact that there is a real possibility that LA could be in yellow after the TTT, which will **** off so many people - lol

Escarabajo said:
I thought Saxo-Bank was riding for Brother Andy and not for Cancellara. He still would have had the yellow Jersey towards the end. The fact that Rabobank and Cervelo didn't put men on the front could be an indication that they don't believe Lance is the man for the final GC.
Just a thought.
No matter what anyone says, Armstrong is a much more serious contender in 2009 than was Pereiro in 2006.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I stopped reading this thread since I recorded todays event and will be watching as soon as I'm done posting. From what I've read so far, seems like a goodie!!
cooltech:cool:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
davidg said:
I just like the fact that there is a real possibility that LA could be in yellow after the TTT, which will **** off so many people - lol

Yeah, it may phuck people up about armstrong possibly being in the lead, but will lance being in the lead be advantageous for Astana or AC's chances? I think lance will be very happy with the situation but Conti could be unhappy with losing time to lance. I wouldn't be surprised that Lance already knew that Columbia was going to split the race apart. Maybe a bit of plotting between lance and Hincapie.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I don't think Contador will be a very popular man in the peleton at the moment. Him causing the split shows others he can't ride in the crosswinds.
It won't be a problem again as they won't encounter winds such as these for the remainder of the race. The winds at the Bouches du Rhone are infamous. It's always windy there. 30 seconds doesn't mean anything once they hit the mountains.

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Yeah, it may phuck people up about armstrong possibly being in the lead, but will lance being in the lead be advantageous for Astana or AC's chances? I think lance will be very happy with the situation but Conti could be unhappy with losing time to lance. I wouldn't be surprised that Lance already knew that Columbia was going to split the race apart. Maybe a bit of plotting between lance and Hincapie.

I have to say, Armstrong was constantly at the front of the race over the previous 40km, so I find it hard to believe that there was some sort of agreement unless they told Lance that we're going to do it sometime in the next 50k. I was actually frustrated by Contador being so far back a number of times. And honestly, if the case is that Contador just couldn't hold the wheel, I'll feel a bit better about the situation. He shouldn't have been in the position not having Rast or Paulhino in front of him. The dude can climb and time trial, but that doesn't mean he has the power in the flats...

Armstrong called Popo and Zulbedia to the front to pull after 10-15km, so I do have to wonder if this was his suggestion or Bruyneel's. It is a bit interesting because they still get to start last in the time trial, and they can beat CSC by 39 seconds and not regain the yellow jersey. Had Alberto made the jump, they only had 4 seconds to play with to not regain the yellow. I have to think they have no interest in grabbing it prior to the weekend...

May 13, 2009
Visit site
joeags said:
The dude can climb and time trial, but that doesn't mean he has the power in the flats...

does not compute

Anyway, is it clear that AC caused the split? I couldn't make it out. Is there a good vid out there?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
does not compute

Anyway, is it clear that AC caused the split? I couldn't make it out. Is there a good vid out there?

Apologies, I am just after sticking this link on to the other thread about LA being team leader.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgCQS7fBMZ0

You can see LA on the inside of the corner, he looks ahead and sees that the road is turning and sprints around a couple of guys to get into a better position.
I didnt make out AC though.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Apologies, I am just after sticking this link on to the other thread about LA being team leader.

You can see LA on the inside of the corner, he looks ahead and sees that the road is turning and sprints around a couple of guys to get into a better position.

I like how everyone is bunny hopping onto the curb (especially Fabian) once they realized the exit was on the right side of the roundabout, and not all the way around (that or there was just not enough room to take the shorter way).

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

Yup, I can see Armstrong sprinting on the inside. Also right after the split happens, it looks like Popo's doing a pull. But I can't even make out the team of the rider causing the split. :( not sure if it's AC.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Racing #101

joeags said:
Armstrong called Popo and Zulbedia to the front to pull after 10-15km, so I do have to wonder if this was his suggestion or Bruyneel's. It is a bit interesting because they still get to start last in the time trial, and they can beat CSC by 39 seconds and not regain the yellow jersey. Had Alberto made the jump, they only had 4 seconds to play with to not regain the yellow. I have to think they have no interest in grabbing it prior to the weekend...
You are going into a strong headwind and about to come up to a RH turn. One of the stronger teams have all their men at the front and you know it is going to get put in the gutter. An experienced rider knows what is going to happen.

Armstrong made sure he had two people that could support him, Popo is certainly his man. Contador didn't protect himself in the same way and missed the move. This is what Armstrong means when he talks about Contadors experience.

Equally Bruyneel would have known what was about to happen from the navigation in the team car, so he should have told his team as well.

It may not mean much in overall terms, but it was a psychological blow for Contador, and he will now have to attack the highest placed Astana rider.

My 2cents

davidg said:
You are going into a strong headwind and about to come up to a RH turn. One of the stronger teams have all their men at the front and you know it is going to get put in the gutter. An experienced rider knows what is going to happen.

Armstrong made sure he had two people that could support him, Popo is certainly his man. Contador didn't protect himself in the same way and missed the move. This is what Armstrong means when he talks about Contadors experience.

Equally Bruyneel would have known what was about to happen from the navigation in the team car, so he should have told his team as well.

It may not mean much in overall terms, but it was a psychological blow for Contador, and he will now have to attack the highest placed Astana rider.

My 2cents

If what you and Lance say are true then the peleton is mainly made up of inexperienced riders. ALL of the GC contenders were caught out of the move, not to mention 6 of his teammates. Contador says that he was coming back to the front when it happened. Rast and #25 had jerseys filled with water bottles. Which further suggests that even the experienced JB didn't know enough to tell his guys to get water AFTER the turn or well before. Seems to me that this was a failure of leadership on the part of JB, Lance or BOTH.

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
If what you and Lance say are true then the peleton is mainly made up of inexperienced riders. ALL of the GC contenders were caught out of the move, not to mention 6 of his teammates. Contador says that he was coming back to the front when it happened. Rast and #25 had jerseys filled with water bottles. Which further suggests that even the experienced JB didn't know enough to tell his guys to get water AFTER the turn or well before. Seems to me that this was a failure of leadership on the part of JB, Lance or BOTH.

OR it was a conspiracy: LA met with HTC the night before at a secret location and GH told LA to tell JB that they could setup AC by timing the water run with an attack at that right turn....

pure Genius LOL

seriously I think ur right a lot of riders and DSs got caught out.

TRENDING THREADS