• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What's up with Lampre?

If they are "serious administrative non-compliances", what's with the temporary licence?
I agree, that the UCI should shed a little more light upon this problem.
Another process that is a closely guarded secret.
This year, we had a team, who's manager and a third of their roster were under contract to another team, at the time, given a 4 year pass to the Pro Tour.
Others got one year and a couple got the boot.

How did the new teams of Sky and the Shack, fulfill their requirements flawlessly, on their first attempt, while experienced PT squads, failed?

Another aspect of the UCI, that is shrouded in mystery and does nothing to improve their shady image.

jonjungel said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lampre-farnese-vini-pressing-ahead-despite-uncertainty

What exactly are these "serious administrative non-compliances"?

As it stands now, I find the whole process for getting a PT license as clear as mud.[/QUOTE

The cycling universe is shifting to the Anglo-American world, where big money sponsors are more forthcoming. Thus it is more "complicated" than it used to be for some of the smaller budget continental teams to find a place in what used to be their house.

It's purely economic...

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
As mentioned, I guess which problem might be..

dollar-euro22.jpg

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
L'effectif de Lampre-Farnese Vini 2010:
Lorenzo Bernucci (ITA),
Grega Bole (SLO),
Matteo Bono (ITA),
Vitaliy Buts (UKR),
Damiano Cunego (ITA),
Mauro Da Dalto (ITA),
Angelo Furlan (ITA),
Francesco Gavazzi (ITA),
Andrea Grendene (ITA),
Danilo Hondo (ALL),
David Loosli (SUI),
Mirco Lorenzetto (ITA),
Marco Marzano (ITA),
Manuele Mori (ITA),
Alessandro Petacchi (ITA),
Daniele Pietropolli (ITA),
Daniele Righi (ITA),
Marcin Sapa (POL),
Alessandro Spezialetti (ITA),
Simon Spilak (SLO),
Alfredo Balloni (ITA),
Enrico Magazzini (ITA),
Simone Ponzi (ITA),
Diego Ulissi (ITA).

UCI 'message in a bottle':
1) Bank guarantee very ury urgent !
2) Clean up the hidden multi million dollar deficit !
3) Go out and engage a partner at merger !

Otherwise March 31, ADIOS

jonjungel said:
I agree. My wild guess is that their accounting practices are creative.
Certainly, this is a distinct possibility.
However, if this is the case, why are the circumstances not in the public domain?
After all, when Astana were issued their various funding deadlines, their financial woes were aired under the full media spotlight.

Are we then seeing another example of the UCI being inconsistent in the way in which they interpret and apply their own rules?

rhubroma said:
The cycling universe is shifting to the Anglo-American world, where big money sponsors are more forthcoming. Thus it is more "complicated" than it used to be for some of the smaller budget continental teams to find a place in what used to be their house.

It's purely economic...

That is the type of short sighted incompetence we have come to expect from the UCI. Cycling in the U.S. is a fad, just like jogging in the 70s, aerobics in the 80s, and mountain biking in the 90s. It is only a matter of time before the sheep move on to the next trend. The U.S. cannot even keep a stage race going for more than a few years.

This is similar to F1 abandoning its traditional market for developing countries that are willing to be financially screwed to show that they have arrived. That can only continue for so long; and when it does end, it might be difficult to recapture what was abandoned.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Can't give more detail Mellow cause there might be a big swap on the horizon.

Let me tell you what's on Giuseppe Saronni his radar on the subject >

You can almost see Lampre manager Giuseppe Saronni throwing in the towel, with his hands up in the air —
“What, Mr. McQuaid, we had that nice cappuccino together, I introduced him to my beautiful mistress and we toured my friends’ Tuscan winery. What more do you need?” Paperwork has no place in sport! What about lunch and sexy women and shopping for stylish clothing in Milan? What happened to handshakes and honor and who are all these lawyers that keep calling incessantly? It’s an affront to my dignity.
No man does triplicate. First, the Americans come in with their killjoy business approach to winning races. Then that damned Dane Bjarne Riis says those time honored training methods are stone age. Now team Sky comes in with their food scientists claiming that paninis aren’t good race snacks and that buckets of pasta aren’t the best way to recover. Next, they’ll want to replace the podium girls with effeminent men in tight slacks.
Only the noisy Kazaks seem to understand the rituals of the sport. What do they care about paperwork? They want to drink and sing and glory in victory and hand out bribes and pound their cycling shoes on the table. Okay, they’re uncouth but at least they’re not progressive.
The UCI has given the Lampre-Farnese Vini a two month “get-your-crap-together” temp license. Like, what, they only race on Fridays and Wednesdays, from 10 to 2:30? Alessandro Petacchi as a temp?
How many words a minute does Cunego type? — can he work a cash register?
Danilo di Luca banned, Rebellin gone, where are the heroes?
And all the UCI cares about is paperwork. In my days, men were men and lawyers just dealt with keeping the cost of the mistress hidden. Now, all is lost for Lampre.

Paperwork, the damn paperwork is killing Giuseppe, every year the paperwork. For Giuseppe it doesn't sound like classic Italian skip-the-details approach anymore and it looks for Lampre the time has come.
saronni.jpg

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
This is exactly why the UCI needs to go away, or any other international fed for that matter. The UCI can run the worlds if they want to, but all other racing should be run by national feds, or better yet, just the organizers. Really, there is no need for an international federation, other than to foster corruption, arbitrariness and favoritism in the sport.

It doesn't matter where the teams are registered, or have their sponsors, It wouldn't matter if 18 Pro Tour teams were based in the US, for instance. The riders would still come from the usual feeder nations.
The problem for Pat and his precious Pro Tour is that sponsors, some long term, are leaving the sport, all too frequently.
Riis is searching for a Saxobank replacement. Caisse are out at the end of the season. I doubt they will be the last.
Does McQuaid see a neverending supply of money coming from the world's biggest economy, simply because it is the world's biggest economy?
As Bro says, its a fad and fads come and go more quickly than a decent sponsor.

Being gleeful over the pending demise of another long established squad, shows a worrying lack of concern over the future of the sport.

The Pro Tour is strangling the sport. The UCI need to get their priorities in the correct order, before they sink the sport for good.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
It doesn't matter where the teams are registered, or have their sponsors, It wouldn't matter if 18 Pro Tour teams were based in the US, for instance. The riders would still come from the usual feeder nations.
The problem for Pat and his precious Pro Tour is that sponsors, some long term, are leaving the sport, all too frequently.
Riis is searching for a Saxobank replacement. Caisse are out at the end of the season. I doubt they will be the last.
Does McQuaid see a neverending supply of money coming from the world's biggest economy, simply because it is the world's biggest economy?

Being gleeful over the pending demise of another long established squad, shows a worrying lack of concern over the future of the sport.

The Pro Tour is strangling the sport. The UCI need to get their priorities in the correct order, before they sink the sport for good.

It sure is, after all wasn't one of the reasons it was created was so the UCI could take some extra cash from the races, I believe in the form of TV money. But the whole idea sucked from day 1, they should have left it how it was with the World Cup and the UCI rankings.

To be honest, what's the point of giving them the extension unless the UCI just wanted to scare Lampre (and the other teams as a result) and are planning on approving them at that point? If they deny the license at the end of March, that just screws all the riders who will have a hard time finding teams then. I'm just baffled by the whole scenario and would love to see what criteria the UCI are using to determine if Lampre is a worthy squad.

BYOP88 said:
It sure is, after all wasn't one of the reasons it was created was so the UCI could take some extra cash from the races, I believe in the form of TV money. But the whole idea sucked from day 1, they should have left it how it was with the World Cup and the UCI rankings.

The ProTour is actually a good idea--if it were handled right. The idea of a cohesive, season long race series that could be sold to the media and money distributed to the teams and race organizers could work, but the UCI appears to be more interested in using the concept to increase its power.

As it is the sport is very unstable. An extremely successful team like Riis' should not be struggling every few years to either find a new sponsor or fold.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The ProTour is actually a good idea--if it were handled right. The idea of a cohesive, season long race series that could be sold to the media and money distributed to the teams and race organizers could work, but the UCI appears to be more interested in using the concept to increase its power.

As it is the sport is very unstable. An extremely successful team like Riis' should not be struggling every few years to either find a new sponsor or fold.

I'll have to disagree with you on that. I mean the point system for winning/placing in a race was just mental(they may have changed it since the 1st PT), plus the fact some of the races are utter junk I mean the TTT was pointless and the less said about the TDU the better. Also it forced teams to race in places they had no interest in being in, most French teams in the Giro f/e or Spanish teams in Poland. They should bring back the WC maybe add a few more races to that and pick a bunch of stage races and put them in a competition and if desired have a combined total at the end of the year between both formats.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

Milram are also pulling out. If they have to fold at the end of the season, then good-bye German cycling. Germany sure as hell has more of a cycling tradition then Australia or the US.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Time for ASO to set up an alternative tour - after all they own all the big money races and if they can persuade RCS on board the UCI might as well go f*ck themselves. This nearly happened a few years ago leaving the PT with Flanders and, um, the Eneco Tour.

There's an awful lot of faith being pinned on one man and, once he's retired again and UCI realise the vast majority of people he brought to the sport were Armstrong fans not fans of the sport then they'll be in one big hole with huge financial commitments to races that can't sustain themselves because they've been predicated on the visibility of one rider.

mtrejt you are right on the money

May 6, 2009
Visit site
mtrejt said:
This is exactly why the UCI needs to go away, or any other international fed for that matter. The UCI can run the worlds if they want to, but all other racing should be run by national feds, or better yet, just the organizers. Really, there is no need for an international federation, other than to foster corruption, arbitrariness and favoritism in the sport.

I don't like that idea either. Look at 2007 when ASO decided to chase Unibet out of the sport as a F--K You to the UCI. Despite the fact they had no problems letting unobet ride their races the year before. They decided to make an example out of Astana, even on their reasoning, Cofidis, Columbia - Highroad (as it was known then), and even Rabobank should not have been allowed to the 2008 Tour.

If there was any unity in the sport, all the teams at the 2007 Paris Nice would of ridden one km, stopped, and abandoned en masse.

craig1985 said:
I don't like that idea either. Look at 2007 when ASO decided to chase Unibet out of the sport as a F--K You to the UCI. Despite the fact they had no problems letting unobet ride their races the year before. They decided to make an example out of Astana, even on their reasoning, Cofidis, Columbia - Highroad (as it was known then), and even Rabobank should not have been allowed to the 2008 Tour.

If there was any unity in the sport, all the teams at the 2007 Paris Nice would of ridden one km, stopped, and abandoned en masse.

The Unibet debacle was the UCI's fault. Al the GTs made it clear that they wanted/needed the ability to invite wildcards. The UCI kept pushing the issue until the GTs had to make a stand or lose all control of team participation in their races.

craig1985 said:
They could of picked on Astana instead. And this was before The Hog and his mate had anything to do with the team.

The UCI want something similar to the ATP tour or F1 racing, they dont seem to realise cycling is completely different from those sports in that there are different types of cyclists and events, tennin is tennis whatever the surface and F1 is just boring rubbish, anyhow. Even Athletics with it's wide range of event's is more easily put together in a season long competition.

They tried with the old world cup but I dont think that worked perfectly either, still was better than the current system. Before that there was the Pernod trophy for best all-round race but those type of guys dont really exist anymore.

Ever since I started following the sport in 89, I have heard about globalising the sport but its not really much better than then. Australia and maybe Asia is the one big growth area. Outside the central countries, cycling will always be a fad sport. I kinda laugh at the proposed new races in Canada, the same races they were pushing 20 years ago, maybe it will work this time.

As for Lampre, havent follow the details closely but it seems a bit unfair to temporarily suspend their licence at the start of the season. I agree with the other posters on this one.

usedtobefast said:
i would think Major Taylor, if he were around might disagree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Taylor

Not the old Major Taylor crap! No one remembers Taylor. You could ask a hundred people on the street who Major Taylor is and most would guess he fought in a war. The only purpose Taylor serves these days is for when people need to trot out a cycling minority or to claim a temporary fad with track cycling in the age of buggy whips somehow transaltes into a tradition of U.S. cycling.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
(06 marzo 2010) | After being postponed four times since 2004, the trial in the case of doping "Oil for Drugs" has finally begun in Rome.
28 people in the dock: doctors, pharmacists and riders ... The pro riders implicated (Alessandro Spezialetti, Di Luca, Eddy Mazzoleni, Alessandro Petacchi and Ruggero Marzoli, etc.) for trade in and the taking of doping substances related to "heavy", anabolic steroids (testosterone, nandrolone, etc..) Hormones (EPO, GH), stimulants of various kinds (ephedrine, amphetamine) Source: [La Repubblica]
A novelty of the Italian cycling federation, it claimes damages in a demand of 3 million euros.

[Alessandro Spezialetti Picture] is currently active in the prologue Paris-Nice 2010 where he finished 1:18 behind Boom today.

157. SPEZIALETTI Alessandro 148 LAMPRE - FARNESE 00:12:15 00:01:18

[Does Beppe tell all], or is this just one of those “Italian” things, right?
saronni1.jpg
As cycling becomes a global sport and the UCI tries to elevate the professionalism of the teams involved, the old Italian ways die hard. It must kill a man like Giuseppe Saronni.

This is what Pettachi told CyclingNews in Dcemeber [Petacchi confident in Lampre, resolution of ProTour licence]

© DoesAnybodyOutThereEvenCare

TRENDING THREADS