• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What's up with Simeoni ?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
tifosa said:
I tend to think that too. Armstrong never has been one to keep his friends close and his enemies closer. However, he is known to publicly chastise and persecute to belittle his competitors.

This is a Simeoni thread, but LA was like this(arrogant, etc) prior to his illness. I am neutral regarding him. He is almost 180 of Lemond, whom I thought the world of when he was racing and still do. Stand up guy.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
this thread has gone off in many directions.

suffice to say, most postings here have covered the topic well, and most have seen Zomergan's remark 7hr's MSR" etc for what it was.

LA was always down to ride the 2009 Giro (i was told this @ late October 08)
from that point, Simeoni should have replanned his season schedule, because with LA networking all year, for Livestrong with governments, and doing the "Lance thang" Simeoni was never going to be allowed a start.

It was also always on the cards that LA was to take over the structure of a bankrupt Astana team.

Now what would be remarkable, given that Astana have breached UCI financial regulations (allowing contador to leave the team if caisse des epargne find the money / allowing Mellow Johnny's to emerge as a brand - gila tour / etc) is if, race organisers uninvite the protour team, as they have not been paying salaries, and thus are in breach of operational uci rules.

pmcg76 said:
What have any of the French teams done in the Giro in recent years, they usually send their inexperienced riders for the experience. Bbox Telecom are still there, Pro tour yes, but then so are Lfdjeux, Cofidis, Euskaltel. They are a waste of space at the Giro with no ambitions. At least an Italian team will try to show some ambition in their national Tour.

Euskatel Euskadi is not participating in this year's Giro by choice. They are focusing on the Tour and the Vuelta. Some new policy allows team to, I believe, chose from 2 of the 3 grand tours or all 3 if they want. Anyone know the details of this policy?

colwildcat said:
Let's see, maybe Astana is in because they're one of the best teams in the world, have a rider in Leipheimer who just might challenge for the podium or the win, and have won a majority of the major stage races in the last 2 seasons. Hmmm, could that be why they're in?

The argument isn't why is Astana invited but why isn't Simeoni, the reigning Italian National Champion, and his team.

quadsRme said:
I know he is the Italian champ, is this move, handing back the Italian Championship jersey, just a publicity stunt ?

Nope, it's a protest. He knows Zomegan is an Armstrong but kisser, and that's why (the real reason) Simeoni's team didn't get an invite. In France or Spain the national champ is always a participant. It's a business, and in Italy, that means Armstrong wins. It's called the justice of the strong.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
I’ll go with publicity stunt. Two months to go wearing the jersey, and pre Giro…looks like publicity stunt timing to me.

Personally, I think it would have been a powerful statement if he had rejected the jersey when his team wasn’t chosen awhile back.

unsheath said:
Can anyone confirm if LA is indeed getting an appearance fee and if so, how much?

I'm guessing that he's getting his million dollar appearance fee at every event that he's giving his Livestrong Cancer speech/program. He initially made a point of announcing proudly that he was racing for free prior to the Tour Down Under until it was discovered that he was getting his usual appearance fee. To add fuel to the conspiracy fire, its possible that his appearance fee may be why Versus couldn't afford the price that the Giro was asking to cover their event.:D

cyclelicious said:
I’ll go with publicity stunt. Two months to go wearing the jersey, and pre Giro…looks like publicity stunt timing to me.

Personally, I think it would have been a powerful statement if he had rejected the jersey when his team wasn’t chosen awhile back.

Yeah, but the final selections were made only a few weeks back so Flaminia were probably waiting in expectation.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
I'm guessing that he's getting his million dollar appearance fee at every event that he's giving his Livestrong Cancer speech/program. He initially made a point of announcing proudly that he was racing for free prior to the Tour Down Under until it was discovered that he was getting his usual appearance fee.

And he pocketed the appearance fee rather than use it to support his cancer foundation.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
yeah Lance kicks babies and he steals from children and takes ice cream from kids who got their tonsils taken out, he is the worst human being in the world. I think Lance is equal to all dopers shouldn't be hated or liked more than any other doper.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I apologize for getting off topic. My point in regards to Lance and his appearance money was not meant to be unsupported Lance-bashing. He has done the hard yards, has been very successful and is a very good cyclist. BUT ... his return to cycling was based on supporting his cancer foundation. To me, it seems hypocritical that he is not supporting HIS cancer foundation with the proceeds of his return to cycling.

If I were head of the RCS or the UCI I would have kept Astana out of this year's Giro. Why? Because Lance had every chance to make good with Simeoni at this year's M-SR and did none of it. He also showed very little in the Tour of California or TDU, and had no results in the Castilla y León.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
It's clearly Lance's doing, nothing else. Once again he's shown his cruel streak.
Zomegnan says Simeoni should apologize to Armstrong. For what? Telling the truth?
To paraphrase, 'It's no way to behave in the peloton', if you dope and you get caught, you should keep your mouth shut and serve your punishment.

Bottom line is, as Mellow and some others have pointed out allready, Simeoni is the national champ, they have a rider for top 10 on the team. Yes, they should be at the Giro and not Xacobeo Galicia or Fuji-Servetto.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Drama!!!!!!

Why is it the same pp always cause the same problems. The Italian federation should treat Simeoni like the 3 yr old he is. Take the jersey back, say nothing and let him kaibash his meaningless career. Basically no one will really care that he isn't at the Giro because he just doesn't matter.

a little less drama - a little more training

Dan

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
bassolotto said:
Why is it the same pp always cause the same problems. The Italian federation should treat Simeoni like the 3 yr old he is. Take the jersey back, say nothing and let him kaibash his meaningless career. Basically no one will really care that he isn't at the Giro because he just doesn't matter.

a little less drama - a little more training

Dan

This isn't just about Simeoni, it's about teams to participate aren't being chosen based on merit, but rather on the whims of Zomegnan and Armstrong.
As for his meaningless career, he has a decent palmares. Agreed, achieved on dope, but who hasn't doped at the time?

Zoncolan said:
This isn't just about Simeoni, it's about teams to participate aren't being chosen based on merit, but rather on the whims of Zomegnan and Armstrong.

One reason why I was always stongly in favor of the Pro Tour concept(as it was a couple of years ago). ASO, RCS and Unipublic got their wish - for the most part they can choose whatever teams they want for whatever reason.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
It's getting hard to figure out which posts are serious and which are trolls.

its easy.. look see if your names on em.. :D