• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What's Wrong with Van Garderen?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
IndianCyclist said:
Not in form due to early season & TOC peak. Otherwise nothing wrong i believe. Too young as of now, will improve later on. But Top 10 realistic goal for him. Can podium under specific circumstances. Stage racer and therefore will always get dropped in the high mountains by explosive climbers.

Best stage racers: Contador. Froome. Nibali. Rodriguez. Each one of these guys is an explosive climber :eek:

GT winners = Explosive climbers (minus Wiggo)
Small Stage Races = Usually explosive climbers, some tempo climbers

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Afrank said:
Not taking it personal and not blowing a gasket at all, it's just annoying the manner in which people on this forum talk about TJVG at times.

I definitely agree... and I don't understand where all the dislike for Tejay is coming from? He seems like a very nice guy to me, a good rider, good results, no clinic issues... (that I know of?)

Maybe it is from Phil and Paul as gustienordic suggested, I wouldn't know because I don't watch them

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
So close to getting the win today. Big chapeau to him for a great ride. He will be back, and will be back stronger. Of this I am 100% sure.

Feel bad for him for the way the last few days have gone. Was in a break, made a bunch of attacks near the end but couldn't quite pull away and fell behind in the last couple kms. Then had the best time in the TT for a while before the GC guys pushed him down to 10th. Then led for most of the day today, dropped both Riblon and Moser a couple of times, caught up to them after having a mechanical problem, just to get caught by Riblon with about 2km to go. Nobody's been as aggressive as him the last week or so, but he's come up just short each time.

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
A decent ride today, but I have to say I'm not all that impressed. Sure, he placed well, but he was also given an 8 minute lead before Froome and co. came after him and there wouldn't too many good climbers in the break. Very disappointing ride by TVG, he should've been able to finish it.

jordan5000 said:
A decent ride today, but I have to say I'm not all that impressed. Sure, he placed well, but he was also given an 8 minute lead before Froome and co. came after him and there wouldn't too many good climbers in the break. Very disappointing ride by TVG, he should've been able to finish it.

Are you serious ? He was working in the break and had a mechanical on the descent. He was unlucky. He rode a fantastic race today.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ah, he would have deserved it today, what a crazy ride with the technical incident in the descend, and then how he came back. Congratulations to Tejay, really strong climbing and just riding alltogether.

In the end I must admit I was cheering for Riblon because he made an amazing comeback and the French commentators were going crazy! Was really fun to listen to them, and they finally got their victory. I think they would not have survived if the grande nation hadn't gotten a victory at the 100th Tour.

However I wonder whether he maybe made a tactical error by attacking Riblon so early on... already on the first passage of l'Alpe Riblon caught him back in the end, so he should have known that that was a possibility again. Plus if he had stayed with Riblon they could have worked together and he could have saved energy to then maybe attack him later on. But who knows, great ride anyways and congratulations to both!

Christian said:
However I wonder whether he maybe made a tactical error by attacking Riblon so early on... already on the first passage of l'Alpe Riblon caught him back in the end, so he should have known that that was a possibility again. Plus if he had stayed with Riblon they could have worked together and he could have saved energy to then maybe attack him later on. But who knows, great ride anyways and congratulations to both!

Agreed. 10 characters.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Christian said:
Ah, he would have deserved it today, what a crazy ride with the technical incident in the descend, and then how he came back. Congratulations to Tejay, really strong climbing and just riding alltogether.

In the end I must admit I was cheering for Riblon because he made an amazing comeback and the French commentators were going crazy! Was really fun to listen to them, and they finally got their victory. I think they would not have survived if the grande nation hadn't gotten a victory at the 100th Tour.

A|ye as he had chased pretty hard in the valley would of made sense too leave it a while,but props for his efforts.

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Wnning would have been awesome, but he did a lot to show he's a great cyclist and got a lot of airtime for his sponsors.

What a great stage!

The winner crashed off the road into the weeds earlier in the stage and second place had to stop for a bike change.

I would have bet it would have boiled down to a Froome vs. Quintana duel after attacks by veryone else had fizzled.

Tejay and the Frenchman made it stick. A classic for all times, IMO. Double l'Alpe lived up to the hype.

Thanks for giving us Americans reason to cheer, Tejay.

TRENDING THREADS