• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wheelbuild feedback wanted

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I am in the process of piecing together a 09 Campagnolo alloy Centaur group-set for a new build. And I would like some feedback on the wheel components I am looking at. Particularly the hubs as I have only found a few reviews, but they have all been favourable. I wont be building them myself, but will be having a local shop build them for me.

Hubs: 32 hole Miche Racing Box Hubs http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Miche_Racing_Box_Hubs/5360040678/
Front Rim: Velocity Aerohead
Rear Rim: Velocity Aerohead OC
Spokes: Wheelsmith DB14 2x front 3x rear

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
I agree with your set-up, except for the spokes. Use either Sapim or DT. Wheelsmiths are bottom of the barrel in the spoke world. 2x pattern is ok, but more advantageous on a 28 hole. I'd stick with 3x all around.

What's your weight and riding style, or requirements?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
titan_90 said:
I am in the process of piecing together a 09 Campagnolo alloy Centaur group-set for a new build. And I would like some feedback on the wheel components I am looking at. Particularly the hubs as I have only found a few reviews, but they have all been favourable. I wont be building them myself, but will be having a local shop build them for me.

Hubs: 32 hole Miche Racing Box Hubs http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Miche_Racing_Box_Hubs/5360040678/
Front Rim: Velocity Aerohead
Rear Rim: Velocity Aerohead OC
Spokes: Wheelsmith DB14 x2 front 3x rear

US based, have no first hand knowledge of Miche hubs.

BUT great choice of rims and spokes BUT no reason to lace the front 2 cross vs 3 cross. Weight savings from slightly shorter spokes almost too small to measure BUT 3x stronger than 2 cross on a 32h wheel. Hopefully they will be built well.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
I agree with your set-up, except for the spokes. Use either Sapim or DT. Wheelsmiths are bottom of the barrel in the spoke world. 2x pattern is ok, but more advantageous on a 28 hole. I'd stick with 3x all around.

What's your weight and riding style, or requirements?
That was fast:eek: Thanks for the quick reply RDV4ROUBAIX:D

All they carry are Wheelsmith spokes so I will need to go to another shop then. I currently weigh 160 but I could lose another 10-12 lbs. and still look healthy. I generally ride 200-250 miles a week on flat to hilly roads, plus I don't race and don't plan on it any time soon. I just need a set of durable, decent quality hand built wheels.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Yeah, sure, anytime. Ah, I would just stick with your shop then.. No need to make an extra trip. Wheelsmiths are ok. I'm just biased:eek:

You picked a damn near perfect set to ride. Good on ya!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys I'll go 3x in the front also then, and stick with the Wheelsmith spokes. This shop has always went out of their way to treat me well, so much so I don't frequent two LBS's that are much closer. Pietro, they do have a good reputation for building good wheels(at least locally).

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Pietro, you can get those Miche hubs from QBP. I'm building up a set for a friend next week. Great hubs!

Available for their internal wheelbuilding program only, as per Todd Schmidt about 30 minutes ago. If you can get them as hubs, then you have an inside connection. They are listed as 'out of stock' right now.

Besides, if you know of QBP, you are US based, then you also know KHS is the Sapim importer and how poor his stock is...or you are not?

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Pietro said:
Available for their internal wheelbuilding program only, as per Todd Schmidt about 30 minutes ago. If you can get them as hubs, then you have an inside connection. They are listed as 'out of stock' right now.

Oh. I didn't realize. A friend that works there is bringing a set over to build up. I assume Q will have them available soon for shops, don't really understand why they haven't made them available. I've had an OEM version for a few months now that I got direct from Miche, so I'm sure some places like Hawley, Red Rose, or even Euro Asia might be able to hook you up.

Besides, if you know of QBP, you are US based, then you also know KHS is the Sapim importer and how poor his stock is...or you are not?

Yeah, I know what you're saying. It's hard for the shops to get what they want from KHS because they mainly supply the builders that use Sapim, which is like, almost all of them. And when the builders order, it's not 3,000 like shops do, more like 10k +. Fortunately in the 6 or so years I've been ordering from them, I've honestly only had about 3 or 4 issues. Out of stock stuff usually comes quick, but have had to wait a month before. I'm also lucky in the fact that Illinois, where KHS is based, is almost a neighbor state, so shipping costs are kept within reason.

KHS has a spoke wrench that you might be interested in, made by UNIOR. Feels great, and very durable.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
titan_90 said:
Thanks guys I'll go 3x in the front also then, and stick with the Wheelsmith spokes. This shop has always went out of their way to treat me well, so much so I don't frequent two LBS's that are much closer. Pietro, they do have a good reputation for building good wheels(at least locally).

Build is key, more important than components selected(which is also important).

Good for you looking at well designed and made handbuilts. Won't have red spokes or some other silliness but they will 'get you there'.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Pietro said:
Build is key, more important than components selected(which is also important).

Good for you looking at well designed and made handbuilts. Won't have red spokes or some other silliness but they will 'get you there'.

I never bought into that "silliness" I have always believed that a good set of hand builts are superior to machine made wheels any day. I have read how to build wheels so I understand some of the concepts but I have never built a set. In the future I would like to get the tools to do it and give it a try. I have decided that I would like to try tubulars, maybe I'll buy the wheel building tools first and build myself a set next year.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Only hand built wheels for me too. I tried building my own in the distant past, buy once I got my first Wheelsmith built wheel in the 80's, it changed my perception of what a wheel could be. . . . meaning it stayed true and round and never needed touched. I tried building wheels like it, but didn't have the patience or desire to learn. So I now pay a pro like Joe Young in the US to build them. . . . and masterpieces they are:) They "stand" as the day I bought them years ago.

As far as your wheels titan . . . 32h 3x is the right choice. My only reservation with Miche hubs is parts, as they are not widely used in the US.

I see they have an alloy cassette carrier ? In my opinion that may be fine for a race, but I'd never use alloy on everyday wheels, Aluminum is just too soft for that purpose. Small weight savings over longevity, is it worth it?

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
lostintime said:
My only reservation with Miche hubs is parts, as they are not widely used in the US.

If not in the past, there will be if QBP is carrying more than just the Primato Pista hub set. If Q has 'em, be rest assured that they'll have parts. Not that he's going to need them.

I see they have an alloy cassette carrier ? In my opinion that may be fine for a race, but I'd never use alloy on everyday wheels, Aluminum is just too soft for that purpose. Small weight savings over longevity, is it worth it?

Totally unnecessary for Campy, which titan_90 is riding. Maybe a better idea for the poorly designed Shimano cassette bodies.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I'll agree about Shimano hubs. I use mtb hubs on my road bikes as I have them spaced to 135mm. I frequent Bike Forums, where you'd get the impression their mtb(LX,XT) hubs are best thing since sliced bread. They'd be my choice if every other hub maker on the planet quit. All they have going for them is they are inexpensive. . . but if you're going to spend the time and money to build wheels, I say just get the best you can to start with.

One of my bikes has a Phil Wood freewheel hub on it, it will live longer than I will. I'm not sure to smile or frown about that...... :eek:

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
lostintime said:
Only hand built wheels for me too. I tried building my own in the distant past, buy once I got my first Wheelsmith built wheel in the 80's, it changed my perception of what a wheel could be. . . . meaning it stayed true and round and never needed touched. I tried building wheels like it, but didn't have the patience or desire to learn. So I now pay a pro like Joe Young in the US to build them. . . . and masterpieces they are:) They "stand" as the day I bought them years ago.

As far as your wheels titan . . . 32h 3x is the right choice. My only reservation with Miche hubs is parts, as they are not widely used in the US.

Well, there is 'aluminum' amd 'aluminum'. Campagnolo freehub bodies have been aluminum since 1997 w/o problem. Some aluminum, like on ChrisKing can be really soft. shimano first and second gen 7800/7810 and first wheels were aluminum also. yes, it has to be of a high grade.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
just wanted to throw in my two cents about handbuilt wheels.
I have been a full time addict of them since the late 80's, i basically have two very good wheel builders who have built me maybe 10 sets of wheels over the years. I can train/ race on a set for years and i doubt i have broken more than a spoke once every three to four years. Considering i am an ex track sprinter that is pretty good.
I also feel the components are secondary to the build, However i have had very good luck with the wheelsmith spokes and your rim choice is actually the rim of choice for builders i know. You can't beat cross 3 on a 32.
Sometimes the price of handbuilt seems a little high, but they really pay for themselves in the long run.
I was on a team sponsored by a well respected component manufacturer and while some sets of the factory wheels performed well,others did not. I had one teammate who weighed 40 lbs less than me who went through several sets in a couple months. He tried loctite, everything but they would not stay true.
poor *******

TRENDING THREADS