• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 177 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not possible. From what I can glean from voices on this site and in the media, the "doping era" was over as soon as the Biological Passport came along and Sky started telling everyone they were clean.
Lmao! If you believe Horner is "the cleans", then you probably still believe Cancer Jesus is "cleans" & it's a conspiracy against him. Remember, Wonderboy was tested like "1465 times & never 1 positive". I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles". There are SEVERAL sources that have questioned him (Horner)being clean.

Here's just one:

Last edited:
Not possible. From what I can glean from voices on this site and in the media, the "doping era" was over as soon as the Biological Passport came along and Sky started telling everyone they were clean.
To be fair you must surely admit that the biological passport had a significant effect?

It may seem simplistic but 2010 TdF seemed more believable than 2009. 2011 was slower again. Schleck and Evans lumbered up the Alpe in about 42 minutes.

Geraint Thomas launching off the back of the Sky train in 2018 did it in about 41minutes. That is significantly slower than the 38 minutes Landis did in 2006 or 39 minutes by Sastre in 2008 into a headwind.

Last edited:
Reactions: 86TDFWinner
Lmao! If you believe Horner is "the cleans", then you probably still believe Cancer Jesus is "cleans" & it's a conspiracy against him. Remember, Wonderboy was tested like "1465 times & never 1 positive". I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles". There are SEVERAL sources that have questioned him (Horner)being clean.

Here's just one:

I thought my sarcasm, when combined with my posting record, woulda been more obvious. :)

Last edited:
Still one of the GOAT moments in cycling lore despite the obvious implications for both riders. The *** that went on in that Veulta prior were bordeline but the attacks, out of saddle climbing and speed 1v1 up that climb will remain in cycling lore for 100 years to come

Chris Horner recently (four months ago) again addressed suspicions about clinching his 2013 Vuelta win 38 days before his 42nd birthday when chatting on a podcast.

"As the doping controls get better, my results get better. That's the only facts I can tell your fans.

"If you look at the doping controls, as they got better, my results got better okay. I didn't come up with some magical way of avoiding the detection that everyone else got caught with okay.

"So those are the facts, nothing else any other rider ever tells you can you believe is true or false.

"You can just say 'this is what he said', but you can't believe it's true or false, but if doping control got better and my results got better while I'm riding for the smallest teams in the world at the same time, not making millions of dollars, you tell the story."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DenisMenchov
I really enjoy his Butterfly Effect online shows.
He is currently doing a daily round up of the Giro.
Check it out.

Agreed.
He summarizes races in a concise way while adding enlightening tid-bits of information that can only come from a pro rider. Much better than wading through twenty minutes of tedious "bro talk" and advertisements on Armstrong's channel. That guy knows how to clear a room.
As for the doping, of course he was on the gear. That's a given. But he knows how to play the game in a cheeky way without coming across as an ass-hat.

Reactions: 86TDFWinner
Every
Agreed.
He summarizes races in a concise way while adding enlightening tid-bits of information that can only come from a pro rider. Much better than wading through twenty minutes of tedious "bro talk" and advertisements on Armstrong's channel. That guy knows how to clear a room.
As for the doping, of course he was on the gear. That's a given. But he knows how to play the game in a cheeky way without coming across as an ass-hat.

Everybody fast forwards through Lance Armstrong's ads don't they?
He lumps the majority of them at the start so they are pretty simply to avoid.
I agree with you the ladzbantz must be pretty tiresome to some people, but I don't mind it too much.
What really comes across is Lance's total fascination with accessories (sunglasses, bum bags, hats etc.....) he's obsessed with the subject and constantly commentating on his own look or other people's apparel.

Every

I agree with you the ladzbantz must be pretty tiresome to some people, but I don't mind it too much.
What really comes across is Lance's total fascination with accessories (sunglasses, bum bags, hats etc.....) he's obsessed with the subject and constantly commentating on his own look or other people's apparel.
Ladzbantz.
I've been thinking about this on and off and have come to realize this thread deserves a bump for the use of the word "ladzbantz" alone.
Ladzbantz. I don't know if this is common parlance in your neck of the woods, but it's the first time I've ever heard of the word and it is awesome.
Ladzbantz.
Carry on.

Reactions: red_flanders
Every

Lance's podcast was better a few years ago when he seemed more enthusiastic. Maybe it's just me, but he comes across as a really grumpy guy these days (although hearing him calling Contador & Vinokourov "punks" never gets old, and he still has a few juicy anecdotes to share).

But IMO it's Johan Bruyneel to holds that show together when he's on. He's the brains of the operation, always was.

The only problem with this thread was it was only created in 2012. It should have been created when Chris transformed upon moving from Lotto to Astana for the 2008 season when he was already 37. He went from being a strong climbing domestique to Cadel Evans into "the second best climber in the world", culminating in that utterly absurd Vuelta victory on the Angliru - at nearly 42 years of age. Then of course couldn't secure a contract so had to retire.

Nice guy, but come on.

Reactions: Ripper and SHAD0W93
The only problem with this thread was it was only created in 2012. It should have been created when Chris transformed upon moving from Lotto to Astana for the 2008 season when he was already 37. He went from being a strong climbing domestique to Cadel Evans into "the second best climber in the world", culminating in that utterly absurd Vuelta victory on the Angliru - at nearly 42 years of age. Then of course couldn't secure a contract so had to retire.

Nice guy, but come on.
And saying things would be different if he was brought to the 09 Tour.
Worst of all, being upset all Klöden beat him at Basque in 11.

Nice guy, but come on.
I remember that very well. I remember racing against Horner, unbelievable!

All he had to do was watch his diet and not eat so many Mars bars ;)

Nice guy, but come on.

Not to pick nits, but Lampre signed him after Chris sent out a torrent of what seemed to be eggnog inspired twitter messages during the holiday season reminding everyone that he was a grand tour winner without a contract.
That relationship did not end well, but god love the guy for trying. It is impossible not to like Chris Horner.

I remember that very well. I remember racing against Horner, unbelievable!

All he had to do was watch his diet and not eat so many Mars bars ;)

Yes, you see I am a Cadel Evans fan and was astonished at Horner's transformation since leaving Lotto to ride with Lance and Bruyneel . In 2007 TdF Horner was struggling to hold Cadel's wheel in the mountains - as his domestique the only real value he provided other than being a friendly teammate was a spare bike if Cadel had a crash or mechanical because he certainly wasn't strong enough to be providing Evans a wheel to follow in the mountains.

Fast forward to Horner's time at Astana the following season: Suddenly the roles are switched and it is Evans who can't hold the wheel of his 37 year old former teammate on HC climbs. Absurd. But he's a nice guy so we won't worry about that.

Knowing what he got away with since the move away from Lotto I am not surprised he went for broke in the 2013 Vuelta.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93
I think you should try harder to be objective. 2013 Vuelta is what happens when everyone thinks you are a nice guy and looks the other way.
Being a nice guy has nothing to do with the overall picture. You could say the same about Big Mig or any number of riders.
Sorry, edited to add that personality does have an effect on the entire charade. See Armstrong, for instance.
History would not have been re-written if not for his ego.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS