• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
melkemugg said:
Dont think its drugs, hes just riding a week long race. Horner is gonna pop like a lolipop.

Nibali looked to be the only one holding back to me. Everyone else looked to be going eyeballs out.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
DanielsDad said:
Maybe Horner is cheating by lying about his age and he's only 32.

So let´s assume he is 32...:)
... still it never happened pre-Epo that a rider in this age wins or podiums for the first time in a GT.

That Horner thing at age 42 is the most ridiculous sports performance ever. Above LA, Rijs, Rominger, Ben Johnson...

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
The one thing I noticed about his performance on Stage 10 is that Horner went with a steady pace. He did nothing of the blistering acceleration that Nibali put in when he decided to get serious. The other guys were doing a bit of the attack back off attack back off thing. And, as we saw, Nibali's gap ultimately wasn't too huge I'm guessing because his attack put him way into the red.

I really can't comment on the doping issue but I think Horner rode the stage smarter than some of these other guys who want to attack each other.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
DanielsDad said:
Here Mr. Horner has a VAM of 1493 over 49 min Jun 24, 2012 http://www.strava.com/segments/698285

Is that normal? That was before his long rest - correct?

Looks like this:
http://www.strava.com/segments/576

Stage 10 was:
http://www.strava.com/segments/5358826

Anyone know what his Stage 10 VAM was? I wish he would upload it.
Chris Horner ----- USA / RadioShack -- | 23:25, 18.78 Kph, VAM 1799 m/h, 6.08 W/kg
http://www.fillarifoorumi.fi/forum/...km-h-VAM-W-W-kg-etc-%29&p=2091652#post2091652

"I found it a bit to go, since I did not expect that Horner would be a serious contender for the top positions in the standings. The level he had, after all, never shown before in his career and with great standings guns as Rodriguez, Valverde and especially Nibali on the start list in Spain, so I gave it obviously makes no sense that Horner should be able to compete against them in a very mountainous Vuelta after so long term damage and break from racing."

Ummmm...Mr. Author...Horner finished 35 seconds behind Rodriguez at the 2010 TDF in 9th place, 2 places behind...who is doped now? So apparently he has performed at the same level of the "other clean riders" mentioned.

Waiting for his article about Jens next. Not sure how it is possible for a guy his age also to lay down a massive 800w for 30 seconds while attacking and trying to break away...wow...that is serious Cat 4 power there.

zigmeister said:
"I found it a bit to go, since I did not expect that Horner would be a serious contender for the top positions in the standings. The level he had, after all, never shown before in his career and with great standings guns as Rodriguez, Valverde and especially Nibali on the start list in Spain, so I gave it obviously makes no sense that Horner should be able to compete against them in a very mountainous Vuelta after so long term damage and break from racing."

Ummmm...Mr. Author...Horner finished 35 seconds behind Rodriguez at the 2010 TDF in 9th place, 2 places behind...who is doped now? So apparently he has performed at the same level of the "other clean riders" mentioned.

Waiting for his article about Jens next. Not sure how it is possible for a guy his age also to lay down a massive 800w for 30 seconds while attacking and trying to break away...wow...that is serious Cat 4 power there.
Haha well yes. Obviously it is ridiculous....
As well as the part, where he mention the ridiculous perfomances we have seen this year, but "forget" Froome.. I know beside Horner, the guys he mention have been caught. But he already called out Di Luca on air, early in the Giro, before he was caught. Which is cool. But then he should continue and not "forget" Froome and the rest of the *******s.. What he is doing here, remind me to much of Mr. Kittel..

May 27, 2012
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
So let´s assume he is 32...:)
... still it never happened pre-Epo that a rider in this age wins or podiums for the first time in a GT.

That Horner thing at age 42 is the most ridiculous sports performance ever. Above LA, Rijs, Rominger, Ben Johnson...

...Chris Froome...

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
For me the Horner must be doped in his career because he never did anything, and now begin to make great results? I think this is strange, and I think he could be just as dope is because for the year, or in two years, should already be out of cycling.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
JOAO11 said:
For me the Horner must be doped in his career because he never did anything, and now begin to make great results? I think this is strange, and I think he could be just as dope is because for the year, or in two years, should already be out of cycling.

Could you clarify this?

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
therhodeo said:
Could you clarify this?
Yes.Horner in all career never was a guy like Contador who since young win stages, tours and more and mora. Contador in all career never use some "doping" (except 2009) and he always was a excelent rider (this to prove that a good cyclist who is in her 30s, is also in his youth).
Now, look to Horner. In his youth never was a rider like Contador, and now he looks better than the spanish rider.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Aye, but he also lost lots of time having to drop back to Armstrong on Morzine and also further babysitting duties in that tour i think.

That's why his domestic results are more representative of his potential, both early and later. Almost every Euro team that hired him intended that he shepherd the Team Stud in the mountains. Hard to get a stage or GC finish with that job description. Contador was given pretty free reign early on and "responded" with results. Armstrong was one of the few career obstacles he faced within a team.
Doesn't mean Chris is clean or dirty now.

TRENDING THREADS