• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I wish Horner would step on the scale before getting on the bike Sat. morning, then immediately share his power data after the stage.
Wouldn't that help show he has nothing to hide? The speculation is going to explode even more after tomorrow, so he should do as much as possible to show he's riding clean or not.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
b.) I am over the point to hope Horner cracks. Now i want it to be a real Alien-Predator freak show*, so that even 12 year old boys & girls understand he is a fraud, and cycling is dead. Bye bye JV, Millar etc... Clean(ish) cycling may had exist for 2 years. Now we are back to the mid 90s... no, it´s worse than that.

We already passed that point two years ago in the Vuelta. Horner is the natural result of one team going full genius and treating everyone like mugs. At least this time the beneficiary is a rider with actual talent.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
I won´t for two reasons:
a.) I am not a fanboy of Froome. I only mentioned all summer long his performances can be explained to some extent... I don´t care who wins GT´s unless Ullrich comes back when he is 42. :p
b.) I am over the point to hope Horner cracks. Now i want it to be a real Alien-Predator freak show*, so that even 12 year old boys & girls understand he is a fraud, and cycling is dead. Bye bye JV, Millar etc... Clean(ish) cycling may had exist for 2 years. Now we are back to the mid 90s... no, it´s worse than that.

* My prediction is 1.06 minutes gain by Horner vs. the rest of contenders.

In that case, you may want to stop posting on cycling message boards.

Fan of Latin?

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Rodriguez talking about a tailwind only for Horner, Nibali saying "I can’t climb at 500 W. I was going at 430 W and that guy accelerated. What could I do?"..

It's so weird to see other riders making fun of the fact that it's an unbelievable perfomance.. It almost makes me wonder if they are clean..

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Snitor said:
Rodriguez talking about a tailwind only for Horner, Nibali saying "I can’t climb at 500 W. I was going at 430 W and that guy accelerated. What could I do?"..

It's so weird to see other riders making fun of the fact that it's an unbelievable perfomance.. It almost makes me wonder if they are clean..

Rodriguez? A Spanish pro implying someone has an unfair advantage at the Vuelta that's not Spanish? Isn't that illegal?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
No it´s not.
It shows on a large sample size that endurance sports performance indeed declines with age. It´s not improving like it is with Horner.

actually, this is a flawed statistical surmisal.

Last vet i know who was riding was Dimitri Konyshev. Riding at 40 for LPR.

Not guys who take up a year like Jaan Kirsipuu or Van Bon at Marco Polo for 4hits n giggles. Serious, Euro pro rides.

So Foxxy? why do they not ride to they are 40?

Is not the Euro ProTour, an off-the-bell-curve-outlier sample of the best.

So it IS ACTUALLY a meta, or de-facto sampling of the 40 yo Stuart Ogrady riders. And Jens. They are MADE to retire, because their form has been declining for a decade.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Now i want it to be a real Alien-Predator freak show*, so that even 12 year old boys & girls understand he is a fraud, and cycling is dead. Bye bye JV, Millar etc... Clean(ish) cycling may had exist for 2 years. Now we are back to the mid 90s... no, it´s worse than that.

I guess you can appreciate how many of us felt watching Chris Froome make a mockery of the sport a few months ago then. Welcome to the party.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
BroDeal said:
We already passed that point two years ago in the Vuelta. Horner is the natural result of one team going full genius and treating everyone like mugs. At least this time the beneficiary is a rider with actual talent.

Bravo.

Horner at least has a palmares. Nice, in fact. Yeah, he's 42, but he's won shit before. I saw it with my own eyes.

OnTheRivet said:
Scott SoCal said:
The fact that age group Q-times for marathons have significance in top level cycling seems a little over the top.

But hey, I've been in so SoCal masters crits that were real eye openers. Guys older than Horner....:D

Speaking of SoCal masters, did you notice how many guys DIDN'T go to Nationals this year? With the spectre of dope controls at Nationals it looked like a ghost town up there. Not just SoCal, where were the Morgan Stanley Nor Cal guys at?

Missed Scott's original post.

If I were to give you two initials Scott, just two, do you think you would recognize them?

My bet is you wouldn't hesitate. And, I haven't even lived in So Cal for a decade or so.

Dave.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Missed Scott's original post.

If I were to give you two initials Scott, just two, do you think you would recognize them?

My bet is you wouldn't hesitate. And, I haven't even lived in So Cal for a decade or so.

Dave.

As Rick James would say, "give it to me, baby".

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
BroDeal said:
There used to be "Merckx bend" bars with a deep drop. How long before we see "Horner width" bars? Maybe the ultimate will be Horner width with a deep Merckx drop.

Sorta post lance. Where once it was seated rpm, now it out of the saddle grind.

It's so efficient... Using body weight and all.

I'm just waiting to see the jibofo effect, if you remember that.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Horner at least has a palmares. Nice, in fact. Yeah, he's 42, ....

Plus, according to his own words,

"I didn't lose any sleep last night about being three seconds behind, so I'm not gonna lose any sleep tonight about being three seconds ahead. At my age, I'm used to winning and used to losing."

and

"I've always been under-rated or not quite given the leadership when I think I should have had it for different reasons."

Anyone who had even followed Horner for a single race will understand this. He has only got the kind of support that he deserves in the last leg of his career.

burning said:
Great post but I dont think that Contador will go all out in his doping anymore, he probably earned enough money to do everything he wants for the rest of his life, same goes for Wiggins aswell

If it's something that's not banned, he should damn well take it imo, unless the risks are insane (which doesn't sound that likely to me if it's not banned already while it may already be used for over a year

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

I tought many guys here passed the point with Voecklers performance in the TdF 2011. I, OTOH gave the benefit of the doubt to riders. Voeckler and Froome were at least plausible to some extent (cleaner field, micro-doping "only", thus leading to unusal results; Alpe d`Huez gave a good explanation back then).
For Horner there is nothing to explain his performance rise in a grandpa age. As i said before, he must be the greatest rider ever if he performs like that past age 38, when everybody else is declining (even the master dopers like Rijs).
His story may can be sold on the local fish market (or the RR-Appreciation-Thread for that matter), where it stinks anyway. For everybody else it´s just a grotesque freak show.
I thought a little last night. The only comparison i could find was the absurd 1-2-3 ride away of Gewiss-Ballan at Fleche Wallonne almost 20 years ago.

TRENDING THREADS