• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
sniper said:
i'm finding mixed info on horner.
on wikipedia he's said to be a native from Bend, Oregon (info apparently drawn from USA Cycling).
in other places, however, he's said to be a native from California.

RR, or anybody else, any ideas where in the States exactly Horner has been/trained/prepared in the past couple of months?

Pretty sure he lives in Bend, but trains in California a lot. Bend is not a great place for winter/spring training.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
sniper said:
on wikipedia he's said to be a native from Bend, Oregon (info apparently drawn from USA Cycling).

RR, or anybody else, any ideas where in the States exactly Horner has been/trained/prepared in the past couple of months?

He's a SoCal boy (from SoCal). He's notorious for training alone. Don't know if that's the case in the period leading up to ToU.

I remember in years gone by... before he went to FdJ, his training regimen went something like this:

Monday, I got up and rode a hundred.
Tuesday, I got up and rode a hundred.
Wednesday, I got up and rode a hundred....

Of course, he was able to fuel all of that time on the bike with frequent stops to In-N-Out.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:

He mostly lives in San Diego but ex wife and kids are in Bend so he is also there often

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
how did he pull this off:
0 / 10

Mario Aerts, Yukiya Arashiro, Stéphane Augé, Michael Barry, Francesco Bellotti, Alberto Benitez, Edvald Boasson-Hagen, Lars Boom, Maxime Bouet, Pavel Brutt, Fabian Cancellara, Manuel Cardoso, Dries Devenyns, Samuel Dumoulin, Julien El Fares, Simon Gerrans, Anthony Geslin, Bert Grabsch, Chris Horner, Robert Hunter, Kristjan Koren, Brett Lancaster, David Le Lay, Christophe Le Mevel, Andreas Malori, Koos Moerenhout, Amael Moinard, Lloyd Mondory, Damien Monier, Juan Jose Oroz, Rémi Pauriol, Mathieu Perget, Gregory Rast, Mark Renshaw, Nicolas Roche, Jurgen Roelandts, Pierre Rolland, Anthony Roux, Jérémy Roy, Mathieu Sprick, Rein Taaramae, Sebastien Turgot, Niki Terpstra, Brian Vanborg, Jurgen VandeWalle, Ivan Velasco, Thomas Voeckler, Fabian Wegmann, David Zabriskie

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Limited Bio-Passport info
Limited race schedule
Bruyneel
yeah, and we still don't know what the index was based on.
If based on 2009, Horner had been invisible that year.
Beating Valverde in Pais Vasco in 2010, pre-TdF, was suspicious, but apparently not his bloodvalues (or simply not yet included in the Index).

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
I doubt Horner is too worried about new tests in the pipeline. He could well be retired before they are validated and used. If he pops in retirement, big deal. The money's already in the bank. The chances of a huge result for a big contract and endorsement deals may outweigh any risk he has WRT getting caught. He's not some young guy whose whole career would be lost.

Also - is UCI in charge of testing at this race? They're not likely to run the best battery of tests on an anglophone rider from a big market they might want to re-attract. That is, unless McQ needs to fire a shot at USACycling/Plant/Weisel/etc. :p

edit-
If Horner does win this thing, maybe Trek can put him and Shut Up Legs on some kind of big ad campaign. The two darlings of the MAMILs ought to be able to sell some overpriced bikes. (And if that happens, wonder how the Schlecks will handle the inter-team competition?)

Dr_Lexus

BANNED
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Should we be printing where children and family live?

Not a fan of that to be honest.

I believe in Horner. If you doubt him you have to doubt them all. He is not doing anything over the top. Just tracking his main rivals.

I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

If he is on something then it won't be traditional doping. Something new.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
No matter what else happens this Vuelta, or in the aftermath, I have enjoyed the Chris Shows this year. One uses the big gears, watch those knees Chris, the other one rides with 225 RPM's. Prato di Tivo was quite the indicator this year. Horner 2013 found 34 seconds there on Horner 2012. That is no 12%, of course not, more less than 2%. Is that that percentage one gets through certain PEDS that will make u win?

Or is he the missing clean link we missed due to doping for the last 17 years? If true, he must be really ****ed off because of all his stolen GT's and other wins. He will shout it from the rooftops when he retires in 8 years, I am going to call him Chris Longo from now on.
Not blood related thats for sure.

Dr_Lexus said:

I believe in Horner. If you doubt him you have to doubt them all. He is not doing anything over the top. Just tracking his main rivals.

Except for where he rode away from everybody on two mountaintop finishes? And if you doubt him you have to doubt them all? Most of the rest are at least at something approaching the peak physical ages for endurance athletes. 42, last I checked, was not part of that. The very fact he's there is over the top. Do you think Nibali, who was a very successful junior, who is riding for a team run by Vinokourov and who has been linked to Ferrari, is clean as a whistle and Horner, with his Bruyneel connections and Indian Summer, is equally clean and just a better rider?

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Most Microdosing was used to keep rect high when transfusing, not to increase Hct.

Sorry, but that's clearly not true. The microdosing programs prescribed by Dr. Ferrari and Dr. Fuentes had a very significant impact on Hb-mass.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Dr_Lexus said:

So, in your opinion, is he doping or not? Your post does not seem clear.

Dr_Lexus

BANNED
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Except for where he rode away from everybody on two mountaintop finishes? And if you doubt him you have to doubt them all? Most of the rest are at least at something approaching the peak physical ages for endurance athletes. 42, last I checked, was not part of that. The very fact he's there is over the top. Do you think Nibali, who was a very successful junior, who is riding for a team run by Vinokourov and who has been linked to Ferrari, is clean as a whistle and Horner, with his Bruyneel connections and Indian Summer, is equally clean and just a better rider?

These are just words. That is not a positive test are a passport case.

That is what I'm saying. If you accuse Horner then accuse them all.

I don't believe for one minute Valverde went back to doping after what he went though.

Horner lived in the dark era. Do you think he'd dope just to win the Tour of Spain? At 42?

You have to be logical. I don't think so. Why risk it all? The tests work.

Are you telling me the tests only work on DiLuca and no one else?

Thought not.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Tyler'sTwin said:
Sorry, but that's clearly not true. The microdosing programs prescribed by Dr. Ferrari and Dr. Fuentes had a very significant impact on Hb-mass.

Yes, it is true. It has been misreported often but the primary reason for Microdosing is to keep your off score from going wacky

"[Microdosing] keeps the percentage of reticulocytes close to normal - not exactly normal, but close enough that we would have difficulty excluding the possibility that some other reasonable explanation could account for the subtle change we had seen."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/biological-passport-expert-taking-landis-seriously

the biological passport is designed to catch riders who cheat based on fluctuations in their baseline blood values. One fundamental element is the ratio of their "young" or new red blood cells, called reticulocytes, compared with mature cells. When an athlete transfuses his own blood, the body responds by slowing down production of reticulocytes. Landis said riders brought the level of red blood cell production back to normal by microdosing with EPO during races on a nightly basis.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Dr_Lexus said:

I don't believe for one minute Valverde went back to doping after what he went though.

Horner lived in the dark era. Do you think he'd dope just to win the Tour of Spain? At 42?

Thought not.

You know, you wrote something similar almost 2 years ago - how did that work out?

Dr_Lexus said:
This place is scary. So much hate for a guy who has done so much. But it worries me that the things being said here are true. My nephew wears a Livestrong wristband. Do I tell him that Lance is a bad person. Why would a guy who won seven Tours continue to dope. It makes no sense to me. :(
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=857311&postcount=53

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
I doubt Horner is too worried about new tests in the pipeline. He could well be retired before they are validated and used. If he pops in retirement, big deal. The money's already in the bank. The chances of a huge result for a big contract and endorsement deals may outweigh any risk he has WRT getting caught. He's not some young guy whose whole career would be lost.

Also - is UCI in charge of testing at this race? They're not likely to run the best battery of tests on an anglophone rider from a big market they might want to re-attract. That is, unless McQ needs to fire a shot at USACycling/Plant/Weisel/etc. :p

edit-
If Horner does win this thing, maybe Trek can put him and Shut Up Legs on some kind of big ad campaign. The two darlings of the MAMILs ought to be able to sell some overpriced bikes. (And if that happens, wonder how the Schlecks will handle the inter-team competition?)

He's likely hopeful for a one/two year deal at best or some position in the ongoing Trek franchise (good speculation on that one).

As for McQuaid...he's probably calling the shots on nothing about now. CYA is all he has going for him.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Dr_Lexus said:

Thought not.

Diluca was legendarily arrogant and stupid.
Horner's prior results don't require speculation when he rode for LA and crew; he was known to be on program.We don't know if he is now. As several have noted he would benefit from any future contract and lacks income beyond this season. If he's implicated it would take awhile to confirm and, unless he signs a deal requiring him to give money back for a retrospective test; he's home and dry.