• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 16, 2012
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Sorta post lance. Where once it was seated rpm, now it out of the saddle grind.

It's so efficient... Using body weight and all.

I'm just waiting to see the jibofo effect, if you remember that.
As Horner is doing higher gears out of the saddle it might imply that, if he is doping, - he is probably doing some new cool steroid or at least something that makes him physical stronger. Maybe hes just going oldschool and do stuff that no one is testing anymore? ;)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
It is pretty clear Horner could have won 8 Tour de France's by now if he wasnt held back to work for Cadel, Lance, Conti, les Schleckets. What a sad story in fact. The new golden boy of clean cycling. I wonder which veteran is preparing for a return to pro - cycling now.

Go Chris, make us proud on the Angliru.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
I tought many guys here passed the point with Voecklers performance in the TdF 2011. I, OTOH gave the benefit of the doubt to riders. Voeckler and Froome were at least plausible to some extent (cleaner field, micro-doping "only", thus leading to unusal results; Alpe d`Huez gave a good explanation back then).
For Horner there is nothing to explain his performance rise in a grandpa age. As i said before, he must be the greatest rider ever if he performs like that past age 38, when everybody else is declining (even the master dopers like Rijs).
His story may can be sold on the local fish market (or the RR-Appreciation-Thread for that matter), where it stinks anyway. For everybody else it´s just a grotesque freak show.
I thought a little last night. The only comparison i could find was the absurd 1-2-3 ride away of Gewiss-Ballan at Fleche Wallonne almost 20 years ago.

Okay, so now you've moved on to who is the most absurd doper...:cool:

I just think it's hilarious that Horner, like Froome, knows he will never test positive. Whatever they're doing, they're apparently doing the same thing, and apparently, they both know that there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Me, I hope Horner goes full metal genius today. Vuelta champion, and coming for Froome next year in the Tour. I wonder where I can get a tee shirt?

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
I tought many guys here passed the point with Voecklers performance in the TdF 2011. I, OTOH gave the benefit of the doubt to riders. Voeckler and Froome were at least plausible to some extent (cleaner field, micro-doping "only", thus leading to unusal results; Alpe d`Huez gave a good explanation back then).
For Horner there is nothing to explain his performance rise in a grandpa age. As i said before, he must be the greatest rider ever if he performs like that past age 38, when everybody else is declining (even the master dopers like Rijs).
His story may can be sold on the local fish market (or the RR-Appreciation-Thread for that matter), where it stinks anyway. For everybody else it´s just a grotesque freak show.
I thought a little last night. The only comparison i could find was the absurd 1-2-3 ride away of Gewiss-Ballan at Fleche Wallonne almost 20 years ago.

You're overthinking. i only had to go back two months to witness a more ridiculous performance.

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
poor contador, cobo, valverde and some others. this anglo saxon conspiracy is keeping the good stuff away from them :D

added : i don't think the "possible" fabulous not detectable stuff Sky is on, suddenly, they decided to share it with Horner, just because hes a nice grandpa

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
I heard rumours that Jan comes back. Isn´t that great news for you? :D
Again you are under the assumption that I have a disliking for your golden boy Jan. Try harder Foxxy. And enjoy the Angliru this afternoon, it will be smoking hot.
just think it's hilarious that Horner, like Froome, knows he will never test positive. Whatever they're doing, they're apparently doing the same thing, and apparently, they both know that there's nothing anyone can do about it.
Chris has been motorpacing up the mountains, totally new concept in cycling.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
A wise man once said that clean riders could climb faster than dopers of the past. Why should that not apply to Horner too? Remember that human evolution works fast, sometimes on a year to year basis. Perhaps Horner has the body of a 28 year old for all we know.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Le breton said:
I just remember the Froome vuelta 2011 file I sent you on july 19th.

On it you can see that froome's best effort over 11 min was at 498 watts,
I believe froome is supposed to be 67 kg (is that it?)

498/67 = 7.44 watts/kg for 11 min.

Basically the same as Horner on Peña Cabarga considering that I don't know the exact weight of Froome

Actually, that's an interesting comparison, at least when coupled with differences in how they tend to ride, and in their TT abilities. Specifically, it gives me insight into Horner's power-duration phenotype.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Me, I hope Horner goes full metal genius today. Vuelta champion, and coming for Froome next year in the Tour.

I hope so too.
I enjoyed cycling for two great seasons. Now we are back in the 90s. Since it´s a farce again, everybody should see it. Even the blind.

veganrob said:
You're overthinking. i only had to go back two months to witness a more ridiculous performance.

That´s wrong. We never had a grandpa riding away in GT´s. Not even in the Festina & Armstrong years. Horner is the worst ever. Froome is no match here, even if he is on a full program. When Froome still dominates in 2026, then we have an even match.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Again you are under the assumption that I have a disliking for your golden boy Jan. Try harder Foxxy. And enjoy the Angliru this afternoon, it will be smoking hot.Chris has been motorpacing up the mountains, totally new concept in cycling.

Oh yeah i´ll enjoy it. Just not the way i was looking for 3 weeks ago.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
I was just thinking it was time for you to show up to prove Horner was clean...and look what happened...yea, we get it, nobody dopes.

I have no idea whether Horner is doping or not. I just thought that analysis would be of interest to some here, so I shared it.

So now we are back in the 90s, huh? As in it didnt start with the badzilla's emergence in 2011, Sir Brad and so on?

Horner's performances only rub the obvious into the face of those still in denial. I for one value that. Purito, Valverde and NIbali no better, if according to doc their performances have implyied 90+ vo2maxes.

Also, as I said before, Horner's showdown was to be expected after the Tour since all rules were clearly out of the window.

Snitor said:
Rodriguez talking about a tailwind only for Horner, Nibali saying "I can’t climb at 500 W. I was going at 430 W and that guy accelerated. What could I do?"..

It's so weird to see other riders making fun of the fact that it's an unbelievable perfomance.. It almost makes me wonder if they are clean..
They're not clean, but dopers have standards. They think they're just doing what everyone else is doing to be competitive and keep things fair. If someone else overdoes it he's no longer playing fair, plus they probably perceive it as a risk that has no regard for how a bust would affect the rest of them.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
They're not clean, but dopers have standards. They think they're just doing what everyone else is doing to be competitive and keep things fair. If someone else overdoes it he's no longer playing fair, plus they probably perceive it as a risk that has no regard for how a bust would affect the rest of them.

That´s true and just the more disgusting that Horner knows he can do a do-or-die Vuelta, while the others have to think a bit further....

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Chris Bilharzia's year-long peak set the bar for doped-up muppets pretty high. Pity his form just magically vanished right after the Tour or we could have had an Alien vs. Predator-type showdown at the Vuelta.

Year long peak is a sign of being clean. I think we need to wait and see if Horner can peak from January until the tour next year before we make a verdict if he is doping or not.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Chris Bilharzia's year-long peak set the bar for doped-up muppets pretty high. Pity his form just magically vanished right after the Tour or we could have had an Alien vs. Predator-type showdown at the Vuelta.

Didn´t know it´s the Froome thread. Anyway, a 41 year old rising from nowhere with hiding for like 20 seasons is way more over the top. That is the new standard. Maybe a rider like Chad Haga will top it one day... But for now he´s wayyy too young at age 25, even tough he´s having a T-10 in the ToC.

the sceptic said:
Year long peak is a sign of being clean. I think we need to wait and see if Horner can peak from January until the tour next year before we make a verdict if he is doping or not.

I can't wait to see if Pappy on his new beetroot juice plan can counter Bilharzia's mutant attacks. Should be an epic showdown and a great way to usher in this new era of clean, believable sport.

A smack from live.cyclingnews.com.

15:14:12 CEST

Speaking of saying irresponsible things, Horner's past statements have certainly not helped his case. For instance, this is what he had to say on the Lance Armstrong case as recently as last December:
"I understand and I'm clear on how much information is out there on what Lance is said to have done but I'm also clear on the fact that he's passed all of his tests,” Horner told Cyclingnews. “Are you supposed to go back and erase those memories? I remember the 2005 Tour de France and Lance was the best guy there and he past all the tests and won the Tour. I'm not going to debate if he won, he was there, he won and passed the tests."

TRENDING THREADS