• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 57 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
del1962 said:
Your the one who thinks Brunyeel was overseeing a clean radioshack in 2011

I have a bridge to sell if you want to buy it.
Stop misrepresenting what other people are saying. You already had the concept of arms race explaining to you and how it didn't mean other teams were clean. You're just blatantly trolling at this point.

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
In the running world there is certainly data on age vs. performance. The laymens version is discussed in the book "Born to Run". The cliff notes version is that performances increase from 18 to peak at 27 and then begins a decline. The decline is incredibly shallow however and doesn't reach the same level as an 18 hear old until they are something in the neighborhood of 70 years. I forget the exact year but it's somewhat stunning. So Horners age related physiological limits should theoretically be the same as they were when he was 25 or 26.

The running world is full of incredible performances by older athletes. In 1995 a 55 year old Tarahumara Indian won the Leadville 100. The course record (by 30 minutes) is held by Matt Carpenter and was set 9 years ago when he was 41. Last year at the Run Rabbit Run 100 in Steamboat Springs, Karl Meltzer won at age 44. This was at a race that had the largest cash prize ever offered at an American Ultramarathon by a long shot so the competition was fierce. This very morning Metzler, age 45 took second and beat his time from last year by almost an hour.

In ultra-running racers don't need to be on a team and get a contract to keep racing at the highest level. All they need to do is enter a race so there is much more data on older runners there, many of whom continue running into their 70s. Also they don't generally get paid. Many, most in fact, top races have no cash prizes at all and not runners make a living at it so any doping that occurs has got to be minimal and of negligible effect.

Also the effect of aerodynamics is non-existent in ultra running. Sometimes the difference between 1st and second can be hours. you never see 200 guys running for 6 hours and all arriving at the same time or sprinting it out at the top of a mt for seconds. That also makes for a better data set to look at physiological decline with age.

And of course we can see some examples like Ned Overend and Jeanie Longo in the cycling world who continued performing at a high level into their 50s.

Bottom line, there are many reasons to doubt Horners performance in my opinion but age has got to be pretty low on the list. The advantage he has in freshness certainly must far exceed any miniscule disadvantage he has due to his age.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Jan, the Epo wonder, was beaten by dirty Lance. His integrety in this matter is worth zilch.

And you fell in love with Lemond, so you are better off? It´s just amazing how you can bring Ullrich up, no matter how far fetched that is.
Shall we discuss Lemonds blood experience again? Your integrity isn´t above mine. Stop your self-aggrandizement.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
del1962 said:
Your the one who thinks Brunyeel was overseeing a clean radioshack in 2011

I have a bridge to sell if you want to buy it.

Uh, no...you've taken a major psychedelic. Breathe and just remember that you will come down. You are okay, and this all will end.

hrotha said:
Stop misrepresenting what other people are saying. You already had the concept of arms race explaining to you and how it didn't mean other teams were clean. You're just blatantly trolling at this point.

No i am not miss interpreting anyhting, the likes of Brunyeel, Eki etc, you name them have close connections to the likes of Ferrari

Now we have a team with no doping background and are unlikely to be doping (certainly Walsh finds it implausable that Sky have an organised program), and they get accused by some of the village idiots in the clinic of esculating the arms race

May 27, 2012
Visit site
del1962 said:
No i am not miss interpreting anyhting, the likes of Brunyeel, Eki etc, you name them have close connections to the likes of Ferrari

Now we have a team with no doping background and are unlikely to be doping (certainly Walsh finds it implausable that Sky have an organised program), and they get accused by some of the village idiots in the clinic of esculating the arms race

When a village idiot like me can see that Froomedog is a doping freak, that makes someone like you what?<- You don't have to answer, we all know.

ChewbaccaD said:
When a village idiot like me can see that Froomedog is a doping freak, that makes someone like you what?<- You don't have to answer, we all know.

Your are someone very special, a man who believes Brunyeel was clean in 2011 and an athlete of whom there is no evidence of doping againt him is a doper.

Have you ever though of applying for the judiciary

Thats the North Korean judiciary.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Meh, you're a little late. I called an escalation in the arms race after Froome went full genius...oh, I forgot, you love Froome, so you are blinded to the obvious fact that he was doped to the gills...:rolleyes:

What do you know about me? And who and when predicted an arms race? I just started to discuss Froome/Sky in a normal way, when all the hypocrisy started in the clinic.

Do i accuse you of being Lance´ po lover? No i didn´t reach your low level...

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Video Link?

Cycle Chic said:
Just seen Horner's post race SPEECH. If you haven't heard it, its HILARIOUS.

He turns to the camera - yes turns to the camera - and speaks to all the fans out there. Its UNBELIEVEABLE.

Gary Imlach turned to Jens in the studio and said that was Horners speech to run for president of the United States.

That speech will make you VOMIT.

Is there a link for the video, I gotta see it !!!

lstomsl said:
In the running world there is certainly data on age vs. performance. The laymens version is discussed in the book "Born to Run". The cliff notes version is that performances increase from 18 to peak at 27 and then begins a decline. The decline is incredibly shallow however and doesn't reach the same level as an 18 hear old until they are something in the neighborhood of 70 years. I forget the exact year but it's somewhat stunning. So Horners age related physiological limits should theoretically be the same as they were when he was 25 or 26.

The running world is full of incredible performances by older athletes. In 1995 a 55 year old Tarahumara Indian won the Leadville 100. The course record (by 30 minutes) is held by Matt Carpenter and was set 9 years ago when he was 41. Last year at the Run Rabbit Run 100 in Steamboat Springs, Karl Meltzer won at age 44. This was at a race that had the largest cash prize ever offered at an American Ultramarathon by a long shot so the competition was fierce. This very morning Metzler, age 45 took second and beat his time from last year by almost an hour.

In ultra-running racers don't need to be on a team and get a contract to keep racing at the highest level. All they need to do is enter a race so there is much more data on older runners there, many of whom continue running into their 70s. Also they don't generally get paid. Many, most in fact, top races have no cash prizes at all and not runners make a living at it so any doping that occurs has got to be minimal and of negligible effect.

Also the effect of aerodynamics is non-existent in ultra running. Sometimes the difference between 1st and second can be hours. you never see 200 guys running for 6 hours and all arriving at the same time or sprinting it out at the top of a mt for seconds. That also makes for a better data set to look at physiological decline with age.

And of course we can see some examples like Ned Overend and Jeanie Longo in the cycling world who continued performing at a high level into their 50s.

Bottom line, there are many reasons to doubt Horners performance in my opinion but age has got to be pretty low on the list. The advantage he has in freshness certainly must far exceed any miniscule disadvantage he has due to his age.

Spot on.

Here's something I have data on. In the state in which I live and race xc mtb, the two fastest guys are both 41, and I'm one of them. Myself and the other contender have battled back and forth for over the last 15 years and yet no young, up-and-comer has ever come close to our performance.

41 isn't old and I've not seen a drop in my performance due to my age.

I fully accept Chris Horner's performance as legit.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
del1962 said:
Your are someone very special, a man who believes Brunyeel was clean in 2011 and an athlete of whom there is no evidence of doping againt him is a doper.

Have you ever though of applying for the judiciary

Thats the North Korean judiciary.

So your Trollkraft is so weak that you make things up? Mmmmkay...well, I think that is a clear sign you know deep down Froome is doing the same junk as Horner. You silly Froome fangirls are just like the Armstrong fanboys of old...almost makes me shead a tear...good times, good times.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
What do you know about me? And who and when predicted an arms race? I just started to discuss Froome/Sky in a normal way, when all the hypocrisy started in the clinic.

Do i accuse you of being Lance´ po lover? No i didn´t reach your low level...

Look man, quit blaming me for being blind to reality. You were gushing like a true fangirl about Froome so much that you couldn't see the reality that things like Horner's ride were destined to happen after Froome went full genius. Some of us can see and some of us cannot. Blame your DNA.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
roundabout said:
Would have gone full mutant on the Angliru

Yep, I think the 2014 Tour de France just got interesting...

I just hope some other mutant shows up to kick Porte's a$$ in the Giro...If dopers gonna' dope, I hope it's not that d-bag who wins

ChewbaccaD said:
They freaked the f**k out...look at this del1962 fangirl. She's apoplectic (I totally stole that form Lance)

WHat a complete fraud you are

If you beleive Sky started the Arms Race, you must beleive Radioshack was clean in 2011,

But you don't beleive Brunyeel was claen, but you just want to be angry with Sky, its what Orwell called doublespeak, NK beckons for you, you could be a star there

Juan Speeder said:
Spot on.

Here's something I have data on. In the state in which I live and race xc mtb, the two fastest guys are both 41, and I'm one of them. Myself and the other contender have battled back and forth for over the last 15 years and yet no young, up-and-comer has ever come close to our performance.

Come on, you can't be trying to compare the local MTB scene with the worlds elite RR'ing are you? How'd you do in worlds?

Sounds like the cycling federations need to rethink this age group thing:rolleyes:

May 27, 2012
Visit site
del1962 said:
WHat a complete fraud you are

If you beleive Sky started the Arms Race, you must beleive Radioshack was clean in 2011,

But you don't beleive Brunyeel was claen, but you just want to be angry with Sky, its what Orwell called doublespeak, NK beckons for you, you could be a star there

No, I was just pointing out reality. Whatever Sky are on, evidently the secret is out, just like I predicted. When doping riders like Froome and Horner can thumb their noses and confidently proclaim they will never test positive, the mutancy just got kicked up a notch. Especially when they are kicking a$$ with times that rival the most doped up EPO times.

That you Froome fans have to pretend something else is being said is only evidence that you have no logical argument.

Edited for insult removal 9/14/13 5:21pm EST...that's like 46:30 or something for you Europeans.

Juan Speeder said:
Spot on.

Hi Lance...

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Juan Speeder said:
Spot on.

Dude, I used to get like 8 or 9 boners per day...now that's like maybe 8 or 9 per week in my mid-40's...performance declines in real people man, please help me out here, and ease my mind...you can't still have an 18 year old boner level.

TRENDING THREADS